Topics

sticky ZDNet: Microsoft removes manual deferrals from Windows Update by IT pros to prevent confusion #windowsupdatestatus #WinTen2004

Hello all,

People using Windows 10 Pro/Pro for Workstations/Enterprise/Education Version 2004 may have noticed that a combo box to delay feature update installation has been removed from Settings/Update and Security/Windows Update/Advanced (I can confirm this myself on numerous machines). According to ZDNet, it is not a bug – it’s a change in Version 2004 to (hopefully) simplify the life of IT professionals:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-removes-manual-deferrals-from-windows-update-by-it-pros-to-prevent-confusion/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0g&taid=5ef40c2889f4230001ab6218&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

A related article from ZDNet (written by Ed Bott) notes that this is due to the change introduced by Microsoft in 2018 regarding when companies will get updates and how long a feature update will be supported:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/when-will-you-get-the-next-version-of-windows-10/

To summarize what Microsoft said and subsequently covered by tech presses (and to some degree, posted on this forum):

1. Windows 10 feature updates such as November 2019 Update and May 2020 Update (and upcoming Version 20H2) will be supported for at least a year and a half (18 months).
  2. Feature updates scheduled for first half of the year (such as May 2020 Update) will be supported for 18 months across all editions.
  3. Feature updates scheduled for second half of the year (such as November 2019 Update) will be supported for 18 months for consumers (Home, Pro, Pro for Workstations) and 30 months for enterprises (Enterprise and Education). As far as announcements on this forum goes, all feature updates are supported for 18 months, with fall (southern spring) feature updates receiving 12 months of extended support.
  4. Future feature updates will be optional if a user is running a supported feature update (as of time of this writing, Version 1903 or later is supported).
  5. If a user is not running a supported feature update or the version in use is about to go out of support (say, Version 1809), latest feature update will be offered and installed. As of time of this writing, anyone using October 2018 Update will be offered Version 2004.

This means consumers can update to future feature updates every year (if they choose to), while enterprises can stay with a feature update for at least a year (note the difference), or if they choose to, upgrade to a fall feature update every two years. This does not apply to Windows Insiders as they are offered latest builds for the channel they have subscribed to.

Frequently asked questions:

Q. Can I force a feature update?

Please don’t do this unless:

• You read what’s new, changed, and fixed in the offered future update.
  • You read about reported and potential bugs with the feature update.
  • You need to (or must) use a feature or two introduced in the feature update despite running into early bugs.

Q. Where can I read more about what’s new and bugs in a feature update?

Microsoft and tech presses have many resources about this. The authoritative source of information on feature update bugs is Windows Release Information dashboard for the feature update offered (Version 2004 dashboard is located at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004).

Q. How long should I wait until installing the new feature update?

It is really up to you.

Q. How can I defer feature updates?

Depending on who you are and the edition you are using:

• Windows Insiders: you cannot defer updates.
  • Windows 10 Home: simply do not click “download and install” if a new feature update is offered.
  • Windows 10 Pro, Pro for Workstations, Enterprise, Education that is not part of a domain (standalone i.e. workgroup): in addition to not clicking “download and install”, you must edit Group Policy.
  • Windows 10 Pro, Pro for Workstations, Enterprise, Education that is part of a domain: you have no real control over this, as feature update installation policy is managed by domain administrators.

Q. How can I check if I’m running a supported version of Windows 10?

You need to find out which Windows 10 version and edition you are using (Winver/About Windows), then open Windows Release Information/Windows Update page, then look at the first table (version support table for semi-annual channel). Depending on what you get:

• Running what appears to be an Insider Preview build: does not apply to you.
  • If your version is not listed: your version is out of support (as of time of this writing, Version 1709 or later is supported).
  • Your version is listed: check “end of service” column for the edition you are using. If it says “end of service”, you should have received an automated upgrade to the latest feature update. If it shows a future date, then your version is supported.
  • Your version is listed and shows a future date under “end of service” column: check “availability date” column. If it is more than a year since availability date, you may receive automated upgrade to the latest feature update at any moment.

For example, suppose you are using two computers: a tablet running Windows 10 Home Version 1903, and a desktop computer managed by an IT department running Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1809. Both computers are running a supported Windows 10 feature update because:

1. For the tablet: Version 1903 came out on May 21, 2019, it’s been a year since the update came out, and is supported until December 8, 2020. Within the next few months, this tablet will be offered Version 2004 (or 20H2) automatically (for now, version 2004 is an optional feature update).
  2. For the desktop: Version 1809 came out on November 13, 2018 and is supported until May 11, 2021. Although supported, because this desktop is part of a company’s domain, it won’t be offered feature updates until the IT department says so.

I’ll address forum policy aspect of what I wrote above next.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi all,

The following outlines what the announcement noted earlier means for Win10 forum (also, this topic is hereby made sticky i.e. will appear at the top of the list archive):

• Feature update support duration: assume that all feature updates are supported for 18 months (exceptions will be communicated if needed).
  • Posts and version information: because people would defer feature updates for various reasons, you must include Windows 10 version (not edition) information when posting to this forum (the easiest way is through email signatures). How people would interpret a post without such information is up to readers (in my case, if version info is not included, I will assume latest public release). Since not everyone has latest and greatest feature update, in order to help members and readers, please, please, PLEASE include version information in your posts going forward.
  • Cumulative update announcements: regardless of feature update, the last cumulative update announcement for the feature update will be made when it goes out of mainstream support (18 months after it shows up in public). The next occurrence of this will be November 10, 2020 for Version 1809, followed by Version 1903 announcement four weeks later.
  • Starting with the next Windows Release Information Dashboard update, #WindowsUpdateStatus posts will become special posts i.e. everyone will see it.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:37 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] ZDNet: Microsoft removes manual deferrals from Windows Update by IT pros to prevent confusion #WinTen2004 #WindowsUpdateStatus

Hello all,

People using Windows 10 Pro/Pro for Workstations/Enterprise/Education Version 2004 may have noticed that a combo box to delay feature update installation has been removed from Settings/Update and Security/Windows Update/Advanced (I can confirm this myself on numerous machines). According to ZDNet, it is not a bug – it’s a change in Version 2004 to (hopefully) simplify the life of IT professionals:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-removes-manual-deferrals-from-windows-update-by-it-pros-to-prevent-confusion/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0g&taid=5ef40c2889f4230001ab6218&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

A related article from ZDNet (written by Ed Bott) notes that this is due to the change introduced by Microsoft in 2018 regarding when companies will get updates and how long a feature update will be supported:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/when-will-you-get-the-next-version-of-windows-10/

To summarize what Microsoft said and subsequently covered by tech presses (and to some degree, posted on this forum):

1. Windows 10 feature updates such as November 2019 Update and May 2020 Update (and upcoming Version 20H2) will be supported for at least a year and a half (18 months).
  2. Feature updates scheduled for first half of the year (such as May 2020 Update) will be supported for 18 months across all editions.
  3. Feature updates scheduled for second half of the year (such as November 2019 Update) will be supported for 18 months for consumers (Home, Pro, Pro for Workstations) and 30 months for enterprises (Enterprise and Education). As far as announcements on this forum goes, all feature updates are supported for 18 months, with fall (southern spring) feature updates receiving 12 months of extended support.
  4. Future feature updates will be optional if a user is running a supported feature update (as of time of this writing, Version 1903 or later is supported).
  5. If a user is not running a supported feature update or the version in use is about to go out of support (say, Version 1809), latest feature update will be offered and installed. As of time of this writing, anyone using October 2018 Update will be offered Version 2004.

This means consumers can update to future feature updates every year (if they choose to), while enterprises can stay with a feature update for at least a year (note the difference), or if they choose to, upgrade to a fall feature update every two years. This does not apply to Windows Insiders as they are offered latest builds for the channel they have subscribed to.

Frequently asked questions:

Q. Can I force a feature update?

Please don’t do this unless:

• You read what’s new, changed, and fixed in the offered future update.
  • You read about reported and potential bugs with the feature update.
  • You need to (or must) use a feature or two introduced in the feature update despite running into early bugs.

Q. Where can I read more about what’s new and bugs in a feature update?

Microsoft and tech presses have many resources about this. The authoritative source of information on feature update bugs is Windows Release Information dashboard for the feature update offered (Version 2004 dashboard is located at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004).

Q. How long should I wait until installing the new feature update?

It is really up to you.

Q. How can I defer feature updates?

Depending on who you are and the edition you are using:

• Windows Insiders: you cannot defer updates.
  • Windows 10 Home: simply do not click “download and install” if a new feature update is offered.
  • Windows 10 Pro, Pro for Workstations, Enterprise, Education that is not part of a domain (standalone i.e. workgroup): in addition to not clicking “download and install”, you must edit Group Policy.
  • Windows 10 Pro, Pro for Workstations, Enterprise, Education that is part of a domain: you have no real control over this, as feature update installation policy is managed by domain administrators.

Q. How can I check if I’m running a supported version of Windows 10?

You need to find out which Windows 10 version and edition you are using (Winver/About Windows), then open Windows Release Information/Windows Update page, then look at the first table (version support table for semi-annual channel). Depending on what you get:

• Running what appears to be an Insider Preview build: does not apply to you.
  • If your version is not listed: your version is out of support (as of time of this writing, Version 1709 or later is supported).
  • Your version is listed: check “end of service” column for the edition you are using. If it says “end of service”, you should have received an automated upgrade to the latest feature update. If it shows a future date, then your version is supported.
  • Your version is listed and shows a future date under “end of service” column: check “availability date” column. If it is more than a year since availability date, you may receive automated upgrade to the latest feature update at any moment.

For example, suppose you are using two computers: a tablet running Windows 10 Home Version 1903, and a desktop computer managed by an IT department running Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1809. Both computers are running a supported Windows 10 feature update because:

1. For the tablet: Version 1903 came out on May 21, 2019, it’s been a year since the update came out, and is supported until December 8, 2020. Within the next few months, this tablet will be offered Version 2004 (or 20H2) automatically (for now, version 2004 is an optional feature update).
  2. For the desktop: Version 1809 came out on November 13, 2018 and is supported until May 11, 2021. Although supported, because this desktop is part of a company’s domain, it won’t be offered feature updates until the IT department says so.

I’ll address forum policy aspect of what I wrote above next.

Cheers,

Joseph

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#45932) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Mute #winten2004 | Mute #windowsupdatestatus

Windows 10 Screen Reader Users
United under the banner of Windows 10, sharing our expertise, serving the community

Email and website addresses:
* Subscribing: win10+subscribe@win10.groups.io
* Posting: win10@win10.groups.io, win10@groups.io, w10@groups.io
* Leaving: win10+unsubscribe@win10.groups.io
* Contacting the leadership team: win10+owner@win10.groups.io
* Group website: https://groups.io/g/win10
* Topics archive: https://groups.io/g/win10/topics
* Forum wiki (publicly viewable): https://groups.io/g/win10/wiki
* Archive search: https://groups.io/g/win10/search

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [joseph.lee22590@...]

_._,_.