Topics

Windows Security System Tray Icon

Mike B

Hi All,

Running the latest Windows 10 Pro 2004...572.  I noticed this morning that the Windows Security icon is missing from the system tray and the icon on / off checkbox is missing from the show in the system tray selections.  Is this the new normal, or do I have a problem?  Thanks much.

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers & Rams!
Main's Law:  For every action there is an equal and opposite government program.

Under Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004, Build 19041.572, 64-bit, I still have Windows Security Notification icon included in the list of icons in Settings, Select which icons appear on the taskbar.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Jason White

It’s in my system tray, and I am running the same operating system build as you (19041.572). I had to press the Notification Chevron button to reach the Windows Security widget, though. The only difference I am aware of is that I’m running Windows 10 Pro for Workstations.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2020 9:34 AM
To: Win10 <win10@win10.groups.io>
Subject: [win10] Windows Security System Tray Icon

Hi All,

Running the latest Windows 10 Pro 2004...572.  I noticed this morning that the Windows Security icon is missing from the system tray and the icon on / off checkbox is missing from the show in the system tray selections.  Is this the new normal, or do I have a problem?  Thanks much.

Main's Law:  For every action there is an equal and opposite government program.

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 06:14 PM, Jason White wrote:
I had to press the Notification Chevron button to reach the Windows Security widget, though.
-
And that will be true for any icon that is not set to show in the taskbar (system tray area), but for programs/services that have one and are running.  I have a bunch in the "overflow area" that is accessed via the notification chevron button.  They're ones I seldom need to look at, but sometimes do.

--

Mike B

Brian,

I don't even have the icon in Settings / Personalization / Taskbar / Notification Area, to turn on or off.  I don't understand this because it was there after I ran my updates earlier in the week and it was there just a couple of days ago, but for whatever reason the option is completely gone.  I tried looking for the icon with the Touch cursor, but that didn't reveal anything and I tried running a scan to see if it would show up during a scan, but no luck with that either.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2020 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] Windows Security System Tray Icon

Under Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004, Build 19041.572, 64-bit, I still have Windows Security Notification icon included in the list of icons in Settings, Select which icons appear on the taskbar.

--

Britechguy’s Standard Advice Regarding Windows 10 Issues and Their Repair (docx)

Go straight to the SFC/DISM step.  If that doesn't fix things, then the Repair Install step.
--

Mike B

This morning I again turned off all virus and protection settings along with all app and browser controls, then rebooted the computer.  Turned it all back on, rebooted again and I got the Windows Security on / off button back in the Notification Area along with the Windows Security icon back in the system tray.  Just glad things are back to normal again.  Thanks for your input.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2020 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] Windows Security System Tray Icon

Britechguy’s Standard Advice Regarding Windows 10 Issues and Their Repair (docx)

Go straight to the SFC/DISM step.  If that doesn't fix things, then the Repair Install step.
--