From: Troy Burnham
Sent: 03 March 2021 17:08
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] windows security question

Hi all,

I just installed a program and after it installed I got a message that

windows security isn't active, how do I activate it in the latest

version of windows 10? Btw I'm using jaws 2021 here.

I'm also running malware bytes and as far as I know that's all that's

running as far as protection, but I typed windows security into the

search field and when I got into the windows security app it said I had

another antivirus protection running, might that be malware bytes even

though that's not antivirus? I just had to have the geek squad reinstall

windows for me and when they did they installed Webroot, and I

uninstalled that but I'm wondering if that may not have gotten

completely uninstalled and it's still being detected.

Thanks for any help with these matters.

Troy

Mike B

That is MWB and if you disable MWB Windows Security should activate by itself but, if it doesn't try the following.

1. Press, Windows key + I, to open Settings, tab 1 time to, System, now navigate to Update and Security and press enter.

2. Tab 1 time into your list of categories, down arrow to, Windows Security, and press enter.

3. Tab 1 time to, Windows Security button, and press the spacebar.

4. Up / down arrow to, Virus and Threat Protection, press enter.  Now tab several times to Virus and Threat Protection settings manage settings link, press
enter.

5. You should hear Jaws report , Real Time Protection button....  If this is checked this means Windows Security is enabled and if it's unchecked Windows Security is disabled, so press the spacebar to enable it if it isn't enabled after disabling MWB.
Note: if you disable MWB reboot your computer to give Windows Security a chance to turn itself on.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Actually it is an anti virus if you bought an licence

I just installed a program and after it installed I got a message that

windows security isn't active, how do I activate it in the latest

version of windows 10? Btw I'm using jaws 2021 here.

I'm also running malware bytes and as far as I know that's all that's

running as far as protection, but I typed windows security into the

search field and when I got into the windows security app it said I had

another antivirus protection running, might that be malware bytes even

though that's not antivirus? I just had to have the geek squad reinstall

windows for me and when they did they installed Webroot, and I

uninstalled that but I'm wondering if that may not have gotten

completely uninstalled and it's still being detected.

Thanks for any help with these matters.

Troy

Bill White

Hi, Troy. You must remove Webroot by using the Webroot removal tool. This will probably necessitate the use of a SmartPhone app like AIRA or BeMyEyes, or a sighted person, as Webroot requires you to enter a security code, like a captcha, that is not accessible with speech. I will give a link below to download the Webroot Removal Tool.

http://download.webroot.com/WRCleanupTool.exe

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

I just installed a program and after it installed I got a message that
windows security isn't active, how do I activate it in the latest
version of windows 10? Btw I'm using jaws 2021 here.

I'm also running malware bytes and as far as I know that's all that's
running as far as protection, but I typed windows security into the
search field and when I got into the windows security app it said I had
another antivirus protection running, might that be malware bytes even
though that's not antivirus? I just had to have the geek squad reinstall
windows for me and when they did they installed Webroot, and I
uninstalled that but I'm wondering if that may not have gotten
completely uninstalled and it's still being detected.

Thanks for any help with these matters.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Thanks Mike, I have the paid version of malware bytes so do I need to disable that before following your instructions below?

Troy

On 3/3/2021 12:58 PM, Mike B wrote:

[...]

Yes, from what I understand the later pro / pay for versions of MWB also include antivirus programs.  So, you can only have 1 antivirus program running at a time.  I don't run MWB any more on any of our computers so I don't have a clue as to how you disable it.  Hopefully you can just turn it off in the Startup section of the Task manager.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.