Topics

Windows Latest: latest pre-release cumulative update for Version 2004 confirms 20H2 will be a minor update #wintendev

Hi all,

For a while observers were saying that the feature update after May 2020 Update (Version 2004) will be a minor release similar to Version 1909. It appears the latest pre-release cumulative update for Version 2004 (released last Tuesday) confirms it, as explained in the following Windows Latest article:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/16/windows-10-v2004-cu-confirms-20h2-would-be-a-minor-release/

If this is indeed the case, the next few months will be a repeat of last year.

Curtis Delzer

I noticed that my windows' search is a whale of a lot better particularly on my external drives.
crazy! wonder how that could be, and where do I turn on indexing, please? thanks

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 5/19/2020 1:33 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi all,
For a while observers were saying that the feature update after May 2020 Update (Version 2004) will be a minor release similar to Version 1909. It appears the latest pre-release cumulative update for Version 2004 (released last Tuesday) confirms it, as explained in the following Windows Latest article:
https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/16/windows-10-v2004-cu-confirms-20h2-would-be-a-minor-release/ <https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/16/windows-10-v2004-cu-confirms-20h2-would-be-a-minor-release/>
If this is indeed the case, the next few months will be a repeat of last year.

'Possibly due to optimized search indexer in Version 2004 - indexing will
occur when you are not actively using your computer.

[...]

I got that notification from sources I read to.

Also on the subject of latest, there are intel microcode updates released today for windows, and while these are small, the fact microsoft hasn't released any more optionals this month probably means these are critical for the upgrade to the next version.

On 20/05/2020 8:33 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

For a while observers were saying that the feature update after May 2020 Update (Version 2004) will be a minor release similar to Version 1909. It appears the latest pre-release cumulative update for Version 2004 (released last Tuesday) confirms it, as explained in the following Windows Latest article:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/16/windows-10-v2004-cu-confirms-20h2-would-be-a-minor-release/

If this is indeed the case, the next few months will be a repeat of last year.

No optional cumulative updates for a while, although driver updates will still show up.

I got that notification from sources I read to.

Also on the subject of latest, there are intel microcode updates released today for windows, and while these are small, the fact microsoft hasn't released any more optionals this month probably means these are critical for the upgrade to the next version.

On 20/05/2020 8:33 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

For a while observers were saying that the feature update after May 2020 Update (Version 2004) will be a minor release similar to Version 1909. It appears the latest pre-release cumulative update for Version 2004 (released last Tuesday) confirms it, as explained in the following Windows Latest article:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/16/windows-10-v2004-cu-confirms-20h2-would-be-a-minor-release/

If this is indeed the case, the next few months will be a repeat of last year.

enes sarıbaş

These are more spectre microcode updates.  Probably going to be even more slowdowns.

On 5/19/2020 3:49 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

I got that notification from sources I read to.

Also on the subject of latest, there are intel microcode updates released today for windows, and while these are small, the fact microsoft hasn't released any more optionals this month probably means these are critical for the upgrade to the next version.

On 20/05/2020 8:33 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

For a while observers were saying that the feature update after May 2020 Update (Version 2004) will be a minor release similar to Version 1909. It appears the latest pre-release cumulative update for Version 2004 (released last Tuesday) confirms it, as explained in the following Windows Latest article:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/16/windows-10-v2004-cu-confirms-20h2-would-be-a-minor-release/

If this is indeed the case, the next few months will be a repeat of last year.

Great, so to avoid all these slowdowns I guess we all need 9th and 10th generation chips then for all that security.

Thank goodness I have an amd workstation.

On 20/05/2020 9:09 pm, enes sarıbaş wrote:
[...]

And to avoid yet another flood risk, please consider steering away from microcode update discussions.

[...]

I am running 2004 on a 3rd core i5 machine, 16 gb of ram, no slow downs at all.

[...]

Or inspectre would work too. But the solution longterm appears to be buying an AMD chip.

On 5/20/2020 4:52 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

[...]

Or ARM chips assuming Qualcomm manages to take a good market share away from x86 in general (not yet though).

Anyway, let’s move discussions about CPU’s to a different topic or a forum.