Topics

Windows Experience blog: Microsoft Edge - Making the Web Better through more open-source collaboration #wintendev

Hi all,

The below blog was written by Joe Belfiore, who is now one of the leaders for Windows division at Microsoft. His blog post confirms the rumor we’ve been hearing for the last few days:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/06/microsoft-edge-making-the-web-better-through-more-open-source-collaboration/#JzQMYwuM6BeHHDRW.97

Basically, Microsoft Edge branding will be retained, but the underlying rendering engine will be Chromium. With this move, Edge will be made available to older Windows releases and other platforms. If you’re using Edge on iOS (some of us are), this combination (edge + another rendering engine) should sound familiar, as Edge on iOS uses Edge branding and is powered by Web Kit, the engine used by Safari.

As for screen readers, I expect developers to start thinking about testing the new Edge once the preview is released so we can see what needs to be done. Any screen reader that supports Chromium rendering engine in some form should have no trouble with common web browsing scenarios.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Also, another big reminder: Chromium and Chrome are two completely different things. Just because a screen reader supports Google Chrome does not mean it’ll automatically support the new Edge, as the new Edge will not only involve Chromium engine, but other user interface changes as well.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:24 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Windows Experience blog: Microsoft Edge - Making the Web Better through more open-source collaboration #WinTenDev

Hi all,

The below blog was written by Joe Belfiore, who is now one of the leaders for Windows division at Microsoft. His blog post confirms the rumor we’ve been hearing for the last few days:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/06/microsoft-edge-making-the-web-better-through-more-open-source-collaboration/#JzQMYwuM6BeHHDRW.97

Basically, Microsoft Edge branding will be retained, but the underlying rendering engine will be Chromium. With this move, Edge will be made available to older Windows releases and other platforms. If you’re using Edge on iOS (some of us are), this combination (edge + another rendering engine) should sound familiar, as Edge on iOS uses Edge branding and is powered by Web Kit, the engine used by Safari.

As for screen readers, I expect developers to start thinking about testing the new Edge once the preview is released so we can see what needs to be done. Any screen reader that supports Chromium rendering engine in some form should have no trouble with common web browsing scenarios.

Cheers,

Joseph

Timothy

Does anyone know why Microsoft is going with Google's Chromium rather than Mozilla's Gecko for the rendering engine? If we're talking about fostering open-source initiatives, it does seem that, at a glance, Mozilla's philosophy wins out. Whether or not it works in practice is an issue which I'm entirely ignorant of.

I assume it's as simple as Chrome having a higher market share than Firefox, which means that the chromium engine does too, so supporting the most widely used rendering engine (apart from Apple's Webkit) is probably the easiest move from a developer's standpoint.

Timothy

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 12:23 PM
Subject: [win10] Windows Experience blog: Microsoft Edge - Making the Web Better through more open-source collaboration #WinTenDev

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Market share is one metric folks are concerned about, so yes, it might be that. There might be other host of reasons that we don’t know for sure until we get a clearer picture next year.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Timothy via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: [win10] Windows Experience blog: Microsoft Edge - Making the Web Better through more open-source collaboration #WinTenDev

Does anyone know why Microsoft is going with Google's Chromium rather than Mozilla's Gecko for the rendering engine? If we're talking about fostering open-source initiatives, it does seem that, at a glance, Mozilla's philosophy wins out. Whether or not it works in practice is an issue which I'm entirely ignorant of.

I assume it's as simple as Chrome having a higher market share than Firefox, which means that the chromium engine does too, so supporting the most widely used rendering engine (apart from Apple's Webkit) is probably the easiest move from a developer's standpoint.

Timothy

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

emile

I definitely don’t like mozilla.  There seems to have been some deterioration of the program; it is very slow loading compared to what it used to be.  I like Edge but yes, they really need to work on it but personally I think they should continue working ont and get the bugs out.

Emile.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2018 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] Windows Experience blog: Microsoft Edge - Making the Web Better through more open-source collaboration #WinTenDev

Hi,

Market share is one metric folks are concerned about, so yes, it might be that. There might be other host of reasons that we don’t know for sure until we get a clearer picture next year.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Timothy via Groups.Io

Timothy

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

David Moore

Hi all!

I do not like Mozilla either!

Waterfox is so fast and easy to use with NVDA and JAWS.

Now, Edge, Narrator works very well in Edge with the 1809 version of Windows 10.

Have a great one,

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] Windows Experience blog: Microsoft Edge - Making the WebBetter through more open-source collaboration #WinTenDev

I definitely don’t like mozilla.  There seems to have been some deterioration of the program; it is very slow loading compared to what it used to be.  I like Edge but yes, they really need to work on it but personally I think they should continue working ont and get the bugs out.

Emile.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Timothy

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

Kevin Cussick

but still I can't seem to get the option to import from firefox.

On 06/12/2018 22:28, David Moore wrote:
Hi all!
Now, Edge, Narrator works very well in Edge with the 1809 version of Windows 10.
Have a great one,
David Moore
Subject: Re: [win10] Windows Experience blog: Microsoft Edge - Making the WebBetter through more open-source collaboration #WinTenDev
Emile.
Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph
Timothy
Hi all,
Cheers,
Joseph

Don H

I just tried to install waterfox and during setup said import from Google Chrome and it did not import anything.

On 12/6/2018 5:05 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
but still I can't seem to get the option to import from firefox.
On 06/12/2018 22:28, David Moore wrote:
Hi all!
Have a great one,
David Moore

Emile.

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Timothy

Hi all,

Cheers,
Joseph

Blaster

Any possibility of Internet Explorer making a comeback? Or is that off
the table?

Blaster

On 12/6/18, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:
Hi all!
Now, Edge, Narrator works very well in Edge with the 1809 version of Windows
Have a great one,
David Moore

Subject: Re: [win10] Windows Experience blog: Microsoft Edge - Making the
WebBetter through more open-source collaboration #WinTenDev

I definitely don’t like mozilla. There seems to have been some
deterioration of the program; it is very slow loading compared to what it
used to be. I like Edge but yes, they really need to work on it but
personally I think they should continue working ont and get the bugs out.
Emile.

Web Better through more open-source collaboration #WinTenDev

Hi,
Market share is one metric folks are concerned about, so yes, it might be
that. There might be other host of reasons that we don’t know for sure until
we get a clearer picture next year.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Timothy via
Groups.Io
Web Better through more open-source collaboration #WinTenDev

Does anyone know why Microsoft is going with Google's Chromium rather than
Mozilla's Gecko for the rendering engine? If we're talking about fostering
open-source initiatives, it does seem that, at a glance, Mozilla's
philosophy wins out. Whether or not it works in practice is an issue which
I'm entirely ignorant of.
I assume it's as simple as Chrome having a higher market share than Firefox,
which means that the chromium engine does too, so supporting the most widely
used rendering engine (apart from Apple's Webkit) is probably the easiest
move from a developer's standpoint.
Timothy
Subject: [win10] Windows Experience blog: Microsoft Edge - Making the Web
Better through more open-source collaboration #WinTenDev

Hi all,

The below blog was written by Joe Belfiore, who is now one of the leaders
for Windows division at Microsoft. His blog post confirms the rumor we’ve
been hearing for the last few days:

Basically, Microsoft Edge branding will be retained, but the underlying
rendering engine will be Chromium. With this move, Edge will be made
available to older Windows releases and other platforms. If you’re using
Edge on iOS (some of us are), this combination (edge + another rendering
engine) should sound familiar, as Edge on iOS uses Edge branding and is