Topics

Windows backup and restore

Don H

Running Win 10 20h2. In the control panel there is a entry for Backup and Restore Windows 7. My question is why does this reference Windows 7? Is this the latest backup and restore function for Win 10?
Is there a better backup program?

gbmagoo@...

it is because the backup works from windows 7 through the present.

It works great my latest windows gets backed up to aa external hard drive every eary sundqay morning.

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 05:22
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Windows backup and restore

Running Win 10 20h2. In the control panel there is a entry for Backup and Restore Windows 7. My question is why does this reference Windows 7? Is this the latest backup and restore function for Win 10?
Is there a better backup program?

It references Windows 7 because the utility was carried forward from Windows 7 and is not being maintained.  In fact it's been deprecated, and Microsoft recommends that a third-party backup & recovery tool be used.  Once a function is deprecated you have no idea when it might suddenly be removed, which is no position you want to be in when it comes to backup and restore functionality. Microsoft Announcement of Deprecated Features, including SIB [Backup and Restore (Windows 7), V1709]

I can't even count the number of topics in the archive that are less than a year old, let alone those from the last 2 or 3 years, that cover backup and restore options extensively.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041
The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it. 
       ~ Lawrence Krauss