Topics

Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation

William Wong

Hi,

In reporting the ram usage issue of my new computer, dell technical asked me to try disable Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation in task manager.

I am not sure if disabling this will affect screen reader like nvda?

Thanks,

William

luke scholey

Hi William

Disabling this will unfortunately cause audio to stop on your system.

Can I ask which model Dell laptop you’re using?

The likely fix is to switch from the default Dell audio driver which I think is the Realtech Audio Driver, to the standard Microsoft driver, called HD Audio, by updating the driver.

You can do this from Control Panel > hardware and sound > Device manager > sound, video and game controllers (in the tree view).

Instead of searching for updates on the internet automatically, choose the manual option and select the button that will allow the user to choose a driver from a compatible list of drivers in the same category. Usually there will only be two drivers in this list, the current driver and the default MS driver HD Audio. This is the one you want. Just a note that your laptop will need to restart before using the new driver.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any trouble.

Kind regards
Luke

On 19 Nov 2020, at 05:06, William Wong <@WaiWilliam> wrote:

Hi,

In reporting the ram usage issue of my new computer, dell technical asked me to try disable Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation in task manager.

I am not sure if disabling this will affect screen reader like nvda?

Thanks,

William

William Wong

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

In fact mine is a newly bought dektop, the issue has already been mentioned in another thread

The Dell technical request me to disable this is doing the rouble shoot of what causes the high ram usage of my newly bought pc

[...]

Dell technical support insisted that I have to try disabling this, so how should I deal with it?

After disabling this, can this return to normal?

luke scholey via groups.io 於 19/11/2020 15:38 寫道:

[...]

JM Casey

It can certainly be turned back on. it might be worth doing this just to see if it will indeed affect the ram issue you are having. Can they remot into your computer?
I guess you don't use a braille display, so being without speech would be a problem.

[...]

No, all the things are done on myself, then I probably need someone to help me look at the monitor.

JM Casey 於 21/11/2020 4:36 寫道:

[...]

Hm, yeah that is an inescapable bind there...if you follow their instructions, you'll have no output.

[...]

Hamit Campos

Do you have at least something like 1 of the Olympus DM recorders? Or any USB or Blu-Tooth thing you may have hooked to the PC? Cause you can use that in the place of the mother board for the mean time.

[...]

bluetooth things?

I do have some wirelessbluetooth speaker.Hamit Campos 於 21/11/2020 9:56 寫道:

[...]

I tried disabling this on my sell laptop with the issue you described. Unfortunately as soon as I enabled it again the ram use started dramatically rising again.

The only thing that I found that helped was my suggestion in my previous message.

Kind regards
Luke

On 21 Nov 2020, at 08:26, William Wong <@WaiWilliam> wrote:

[...]

I am running a clean install version of Win 10.

So probably it is already default to Windows HD audio driver which you described before?

luke scholey via groups.io 於 21/11/2020 19:19 寫道:

[...]

I imagine it will still be using the dell driver, sorry.

Usually when you reinstall it will just put the original drivers back on.

Kind regards
Luke

On 21 Nov 2020, at 11:47, William Wong <@WaiWilliam> wrote:

[...]

Ah then if those aren't paired yet pare them and you can use them in place of the Dell audio. As to Luke's point. I don't know maybe he's right now but when I refreshed my 3847 tower I then had to re-install the audio drivers. Good thing I had saved them because that tower's page is now gone.

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 06:56 AM, luke scholey wrote:
Usually when you reinstall it will just put the original drivers back on.
-
No, not really.   If you restore from the factory restore partition, and I know that Dell has this utility, you get back to "out of the box" state.  And, for myself, I would not call that a completely clean reinstall, but a factory restore.  They're two different things entirely.

If you do a completely clean reinstall of Windows 10 using the Microsoft-supplied installation media, you get the drivers that they have in what I call The Great Microsoft Driver Library in the Cloud, if you did that reinstall with internet connectivity active, or whatever standard drivers Microsoft includes only on the install media if you do it without internet connectivity.

These days, exactly how one handles "going backward" or "going forward" with a full reinstall of Windows 10 will be critically important in determining the device driver set that ends up being used.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

enes sarıbaş

The reason they ask you to do this is that this process baloons ram when audio effects run  for some reason. I have experienced it to have a memory leak.

On 11/18/2020 11:05 PM, William Wong wrote:
Hi,

In reporting the ram usage issue of my new computer, dell technical asked me to try disable Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation in task manager.

I am not sure if disabling this will affect screen reader like nvda?

Thanks,

William

William Wong

I dont understand.

Others windows do also have this process, but other pcs dont have this issue, so the ram issue is not related to process but hardware isnt it?

enes sarıbaş 於 22/11/2020 6:33 寫道:

The reason they ask you to do this is that this process baloons ram when audio effects run  for some reason. I have experienced it to have a memory leak.

On 11/18/2020 11:05 PM, William Wong wrote:
Hi,

In reporting the ram usage issue of my new computer, dell technical asked me to try disable Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation in task manager.

I am not sure if disabling this will affect screen reader like nvda?

Thanks,

William

William Wong

Yes, but I see that Win10 can automatically detect your needed drivers and download it for you through update in setting

Hamit Campos 於 22/11/2020 1:06 寫道:

[...]

Ah wow okay then Luke may indeed be right. Let's see here what is this graph icelation the Dell person is telling you to shut down anyways? What does that do I mean. On a similar note though as a little tip you all know you can check the disable all inhancements box per sound device right? I know it's tempting to do especially with the gimics Dell is now putting on the soundcards. How ever and this I discovered with my Onkyo TX-SR 373 AVR don't do it when using 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. I did it once just as my hot neighbor Cristal says just for the hell of it to get the direct signal and yes it shuts down all the gimmics but also say bie bie to the surround sound itself. So it seems Windows considers surround sound an inhansement not a actual channel count. That is strange and I'd like to report this to Microsoft so they could change it especially again with Dell adding all kinds of strange effects to the audio. Note not even the HDMI audio is cleen. Not with my XPS at least. Sye Dell has truly killed the meaning of the XPS. Sye Oh well.

[...]

Let me know if you try my suggestion regarding the driver.

It should work for you. I’d be interested in the results.

Kind regards
Luke

On 23 Nov 2020, at 18:16, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

[...]

The reason why the support instruct me to do so is I send him an abnormal ram report, which my system take up 7.xGB of ram, and the Windows graph isolation take up the first of the ram usage.

Actually the ram usage of this process is only around 200 mb which should not be the cause of the ram usage, but the support still instruct me to do so. I wonder if he is really a technical expert.

Hamit Campos 於 24/11/2020 2:16 寫道: