Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 8:49 PM
Subject: [win10] Windows 10 SSD Storage

Windows 10 version 2004

Jaws for Windows 2020

Lenobo T480

16GB RAM

256GB SSD

I recently purchased this refurbished laptop from Lenovo.com . It is a lightweight, thin computer with an excellent keyboard. With 16GB of RAM, it is also quite snappy and responsive with Jaws and NVDA.

Since I received the computer, I have only downloaded copies of NVDA and Jaws. Otherwise, the computer came pre-installed with Microsoft Office. It does probably have a bunch of Lenovo software as well but it does not appear to have any pre-installed utilities like Norton.

Here’s my question, when I go to Windows Explorer and check the properties of the C drive, it tells me that 45GB of storage has already been used. It is my understanding that Windows 10 takes roughly 15-20GB and Microsoft Office takes another 5-10GB of storage. Does that sound about right? What else could be taking up so much storage? I would like to recover some of that storage. Does anybody have any suggestions for what to do next? I’ve tried a number of Google searches but cannot get to the bottom of this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

On my machine, Windows 10 is taking up 19 GB and Office 2016 is taking up 3.7 GB.

I don't know of a space analysis tool that's accessible, though I know that one almost certainly has to exist.  I'm using an older, portable version of TreeSize Free to get these figures, and Version 4.2.2 portable is not.

I don't find 45 GB on a fresh system with OEM utilities and "bloatware" (and what constitutes same is a personal opinion) to be at all surprising.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Some additional information, and, mind you, mine is a "well used" system, but my pagefile.sys is 6.7 GB and hiberfil.sys is another 4.5 GB, so I'm already up to about 34 GB right there.  The folder for all the AMD graphics drivers and control software is another 6 GB, so that brings me up to 40 GB.  I'm sure if I kept digging I could easily find at least 5 GB more.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Sarah k Alawami

You might have a recovery drive that is hidden as well. You are right though , the math is not adding up.

On 30 Sep 2020, at 19:27, Brian Vogel wrote:

On my machine, Windows 10 is taking up 19 GB and Office 2016 is taking up 3.7 GB.

I don't know of a space analysis tool that's accessible, though I know that one almost certainly has to exist.  I'm using an older, portable version of TreeSize Free to get these figures, and Version 4.2.2 portable is not.

I don't find 45 GB on a fresh system with OEM utilities and "bloatware" (and what constitutes same is a personal opinion) to be at all surprising.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

By the way, WinDirStat, which is a space analyzer that's very small and lightweight, also appears to be accessible.  NVDA is able to read the results list both while it's being compiled (which I don't recommend, it drives one more than a bit crazy) or for review after the drive has been scanned.

It's been around quite a while and I don't think it's been updated in several years, but still works just fine under Windows 10 Version 2004.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

tim

I got that very same system.
Your around the same in size as mine. What most forget is the swap and page files that are in the background. They can take 10GB or more easy. Lets not forget 1 drive, states zero, but windows holds the amount you have as used by system. All virtual drives do this.
Now if your looking to replace the drive in it look in devicemanager for the type of drive.
The one in mine is a M.2 NVME 256GB 22/80. The 22/80 is the physical size of the drive. They come in 3 sizes.
I will be fitting it out with either a 1 or 2tb drive.

On 9/30/2020 8:49 PM, mgrossman13@... wrote:
[...]

Dave Grossoehme

Good Day:  There are  probably a bunch of tempt files.  If this computer has been updated, there is probably an old version of windows called old windows.  You could run disc clean up to check for something to take up extra space.  Like someone else said, go to your applications in settings and see what is on this computer, that you wouldn't use.  Then remove the unwanted applications.  You probably have a version of excel or many other windows applications that you could try to remove.

Dave

On 9/30/2020 7:52 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

You might have a recovery drive that is hidden as well. You are right though , the math is not adding up.

On 30 Sep 2020, at 19:27, Brian Vogel wrote:

On my machine, Windows 10 is taking up 19 GB and Office 2016 is taking up 3.7 GB.

I don't know of a space analysis tool that's accessible, though I know that one almost certainly has to exist.  I'm using an older, portable version of TreeSize Free to get these figures, and Version 4.2.2 portable is not.

I don't find 45 GB on a fresh system with OEM utilities and "bloatware" (and what constitutes same is a personal opinion) to be at all surprising.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

valiant8086

Hi.

And the t480 and t480s machines are easy to work on. I could do it no problem. If you're wanting to increase your storage but don't have the ability to do it, someone you know could probably do it in a few minutes, and it wouldn't cost much time to have it done at worst buy or something. The main thing is will you clone the existing ssd to the new one or just install Win10 fresh from scratch, which is doable with this system by yourself if you're adventurous.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com