Topics

Windows 10 Mail App and the Junk Folder

Mike B

Hi All,

An acquaintence is running latest Windows 10, Win-10 mail app and Jaws 2021.  He's having messages that normally go to the Inbox go to the Junk folder instead.  What is the easiest way to tell the mail app that these messages aren't junk, and or, move them to the Inbox?  Thanks much.
Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Mike,

          That's not an easy question to answer simply because it's most likely not the Mail App making the determination.  I do not use the Mail App on any routine basis, so don't have anything in Junk I can check with, but virtually any e-mail client I know of has a "mark as not junk" button that can be activated for a message that is currently in the junk folder when being read.  That's generally how you train that client's own junk filtering, if it actually has junk filtering.

           It's also possible that the classification is being done on his e-mail server, and you'd have to have the information from the specific email service provider about how to "mark as not junk" for them so that they can further train their junk classifier.

           And to make matters even more complicated, certain email clients will work directly, behind the scenes, with the email server if someone unclassifies something that landed in the junk folder.  That depends both on the email client and whether the server behind it have mechanisms that allow them to talk to each other.  I do not know whether the Win10 Mail App has this capability on its side, and even if it does, you'd have to verify that the server can "listen to it" when the end user moves something out of junk.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Kevin

You have to go to the server and configure it from there!

email is golden!!!

Kevin Lee

An acquaintence is running latest Windows 10, Win-10 mail app and Jaws 2021.  He's having messages that normally go to the Inbox go to the Junk folder instead.  What is the easiest way to tell the mail app that these messages aren't junk, and or, move them to the Inbox?  Thanks much.
Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Brad Snyder

Usually, the best way to deal with this issue as logon to your mail providers web based interface, go to the spam folder, and mark the item as not spam. Marking the item is not spam in your local male client will accomplish nothing if the issue is being superseded on the server side.

- Brad -

On Feb 21, 2021, at 13:51, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Brian,

I had him look in the context menu to se if there's an option to mark the junk mail as okie dokie or, if there's an option to move it to the Inbox but, what we found was that if you, Shift + tab, while in a junk message, there is a, Not Junk, option, so we'll see if this will stop the good messages from going to the junk folder.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 03:17 PM, Mike B wrote:
Not Junk, option, so we'll see if this will stop the good messages from going to the junk folder.
-
While it may, are you able to share what email service provider he's using?

As has already been mentioned, if this is occurring because of server side filtering it makes way more sense to handle it there as it's a "once and for all" fix if done right.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Mike B

I'm waiting for a reply from him to see who his provider is and to see if their server is accessible.

Every time I read your signature it makes me laugh!  It's so damn true, people are too damn lazy to check things out for themselves.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 03:36 PM, Mike B wrote:
Every time I read your signature it makes me laugh!
-
It makes me cry.  It's always been the case that a very great many people cannot be bothered to apply even the slightest critical thinking skills.  That was not always true of the professional press, and still is not true for much of it.

But the myth that "presenting both sides" is paramount is just that.  Presenting both sides is very important when it's known that both sides have some validity to them.  But you do not present both sides when one is known to be entirely false in the name of presenting both sides.  And far too many so-called journalists succumbed to the false equivalency between presenting two valid view points and presenting any two opposing viewpoints, even when one was already known to be false.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)