Topics

Win 10 Questions

John Fitzgerald

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about win 10.

First, how can I tell if my version is up to date?  I have Version 2004

os build 19041.804

Second, What does it mean when, during a shut down, the desktop icons disappear,leaving the mouse arrow and a large clock with the date in the bottom left corner of the screen?  This has happened a number of times, and I have left the computer alone for up to an hour, only to find that nothing has changed.

Any ideas?

John Fitzgerald

Muse, Oklahoma

Chris

Well you can check for updates by going into setting > update and security > windows update and  click on the check for updates button

And your second question sounds like you have just logged out rather than shut down as that sounds like the lock screen to me, but I may be wrong on that

I have a couple of questions about win 10.

First, how can I tell if my version is up to date?  I have Version 2004

os build 19041.804

Second, What does it mean when, during a shut down, the desktop icons disappear,leaving the mouse arrow and a large clock with the date in the bottom left corner of the screen?  This has happened a number of times, and I have left the computer alone for up to an hour, only to find that nothing has changed.

Any ideas?

John Fitzgerald

Muse, Oklahoma

Mike B

It's hard to say if you're up to date or not since Microsoft doesn't send the same updates to everyone at the same time.  Someone more knowledgeable can explain how Microsoft does and why they do this.

What procedure do you follow to shut your computer down?  If you're pressing the power button it's possible your power button is set to, Log off, rather than shut down.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

From the desktop, I hit alt plus f4 to bring up the shutdown box, then I tab once to the ok button, and hit the space bar.  This works about ninety five percent of the time.

John Fitzgerald

Muse, OKlahoma

[...]

I do the same procedure, almost, as yourself, the only difference is that I press enter on either, restart or shutdown, without tabbing to the Okay button and activating it.  As fro why your computer doesn't shutdown all the way, my only guess is that your computer is doing some kind of task in the background like installing updates, or may be running a security scan.  These are only guesses and hopefully someone will reply with better answers.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

The easiest way to find out what version and build of Windows 10 you're running is the winver command.

At any given moment in time, there are generally at least two, and often three, versions (and the major build numbers associated with same) that are in support.  As noted earlier, not everyone gets Feature Updates at the same time.  They roll out over many months.

This page regarding Windows 10 Releases shows all releases (some of which are not consumer channel releases, and you can ignore those) in a table near the top with the line, Semi-Annual Channel, immediately before the table.  Right now the first three rows are for 20H2, 2004, and 1909 with the latest respective build numbers in the 4th column, labeled OS build.

Even if you are on the very latest Version, it's entirely possible not to be on the very latest build if the most recent cumulative update or patch update has not, as yet, been rolled out to your machine.  If the dot number on the build on your machine is "kinda sorta" close to the one shown in that table, your machine has probably not, as yet, received the latest cumulative or patch update.  But if Windows Update is functioning, it will.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

John Fitzgerald

That was my guess as well, hence my leaving the computer alone for at least an hour with no joy.

Thanks,

John Fitzgerald

Muse, Oklahoma