locked Win10 Forum head list representative/next owner: meet the candidates #AdminNotice

Hello Win10 Forum family,

IMPORTANT: this thread will be locked once conditions are met.

I’m delighted to introduce two candidates to succeed me as Win10 Forum for Screen Reader Users head list representative/owner, effective a week after the next feature update is released (as early as this fall). They are:

  • Nimer Jaber
  • Kenny Peyatt, Jr

Both are founding members of this forum (joined in October 2015, or rather, they have been part of the original Win10 forum hosted on Freelists back in 2015) and contributed to this forum in one way or another. You may remember posts from these candidates over the years.

Candidates, if you could, please introduce yourselves and tell us a bit about your vision for this forum. After that, this thread will be locked and I will start the interview process. After the candidates introduce themselves, feel free to talk to them directly, or if you have comments, send them to win10+owner@win10.groups.io. I hope to make a decision later this month based on interview results and your comments, and once the successor is chosen, I will start the transition process in July.

Thank you.

g melconian

Both are wonderful candidates  to fulfill your position.

[...]

Kenny Peyattt jr.

Hi my name is kenny peyatt jr. And I look forward being the next representative for the win10 list.

  1. How long have you been using Windows 10? I have been using windows 10 since July of 2015.
  2. How do you feel about the current trends in Windows 10 in regards to screen reader use, namely Sun Valley, cloud features, and apps? I feel that the trends in windows 10 are great. Apps are getting more accessible. And more apps that we know and love are being added to the Microsoft store.
  3. Which method would you use to advocate for accessibility and change in Windows 10 ecosystem, and how would you motivate hundreds of people to advocate for themselves? The method I would use would to use the feedback hub that is a good place to leave feedback regarding accessibility in windows 10. I would also incourage users to reach out to venders of screen readers and Microsoft staff that are on this list.
  4. If you are a Windows Insider, how would you explain upcoming changes to those not using Insider Preview builds? I would make podcasts of the new features, and If I see issues that are listed in the insider flight announcements, I would incourage users to stay in the release preview if they are in the release preview and wait for the update to come to that channel.
  5. Are you willing to maintain working relationships with Microsoft staff, screen reader vendors, and app developers? Yes, I am willing to maintain working relationships with other screen reader vendors as well as Microsoft staff.

Most importantly, are you willing to take responsibility for your decisions and become a public face representing a group of Windows 10 and screen reader users, both within the screen reader user community and elsewhere? Yes.

[...]

Do NOT (under any circumstances) say to people that you are voting for a specific candidate publicly because this is not a popularity contest. Comments about these candidates should be sent to the owner address.

[...]

Gerardo Corripio

My vote goes to Kenny as well. Good luck!

Gera

El 9 jun 2021, a la(s) 5:31 p.m., g melconian <gmelconian619@...> escribió:

You have my vote.

[...]

My last warning on this: starting from the next person who casts their votes/comments publicly, their votes/comments will not count. Please follow instructions from the administrator whenever asked, especially for situations like this.

[...]

One last thing: please DO NOT send comments until our other candidate had a chance to talk to you and the thread is locked.

[...]

Nimer Jaber

Dear Joseph, Win10 users, insiders, developers, Microsoft staff, and anyone else reading this message:

I first wish to thank Joseph Lee for his efforts and work on the Win10 list for the past many years of service. I think everyone will agree when I say, your hard work and effort in cultivating this community and bringing everyone together under one banner is incredible. You lead this forum with professionalism, cheer, passion, and so many more words I cannot begin to express. Thank you, sincerely, for your efforts and contributions. I am aware that it was not always easy, and yet, you have represented this community well.

My name is Nimer. I am a passionate technologist, and have been working in the space for over ten years. Technology has always been both a hobby and a profession. I am going to tell you a little bit about my experience and vision for this forum, but I must say that I am not Joseph, I cannot be Joseph, and believe that any individual succeeding him will have a very hard act to follow.

As a technology trainer, I was tasked with teaching a vast array of technologies and screen readers on all manner of operating systems, as well as many hardware devices that continue to be used by the community. I love, and have always enjoyed getting new tech toys, playing with them, figuring out how they work, and transferring that knowledge along to others. Empowering others through the use of technology is what I aspire to do, and it is that love of technology, that passion, and that skill of being a technology trainer that I will bring to this list.

I understand list management through groups.io. I own the official NVDA user forum, and have either owned or moderated a number of other lists, and many of you know that I participate on quite a number of forums. While I am not the most active contributer, I look through messages and pick the ones I respond to, the ones I know I can answer well, and the ones which others have not already answered. I moderate forums mostly by letting them run themselves, only stepping in in emergency situations, such as topics that stray off-topic for many messages, or in issues of member abuse, etc. I may also step in to provide a bit of guidance and direction to the forum as needed, but my style is to be seen mostly as a member, except in situations which require intervention.

In addition, I am originally from Israel. I understand the need for cultural diversity, and also understand that each of us come from different places, have different backgrounds, different needs, different learning styles, etc. We are all here, however, under the banner of Windows 10, and around Windows 10, we will remain united.

The future of this list is, or will be shortly after sending this message, in your hands, and in the hands of Joseph. For that reason, I believe that you all should know about my views on the direction of this forum.
1. I do not view mailing lists or forums as democracies, however I strongly value all opinions, and always invite discussion from any member who desires a platform to be heard.
2. I believe that forum netiquette is important, particularly with a forum that is mixed, containing both developers and users alike, of all manner of skill level.
3. I believe in the respect and dignity of each person, and believe that any dialog should take place with courtesy and respect, even if disagreeing.
4. I will do what I can to make sure that the forum for insiders remains active.
5. I will communicate with Microsoft and other partners and screen reader manufacturers as needed to work to enhance accessibilyt, and to be sure that issues raised by this forum are brought to light, though I would also urge anyone else to do their part and report issues as well.
6. I will rely on you, the members, and current moderators, to do your part and help maintain the smooth running of this community as well. In the event that I need to be absent, I will delegate my duties to be sure that the forum remains running smoothly. I am a volunteer, I have a job, and other responsibilities as well, and cannot possibly look through everything sent in five minutes.

While I cannot promise that we will agree on every issue, your voice is welcome. Your comments are welcome. Your opinions are valued. I urge you to reach out to me with any questions you may have, about Windows 10 or otherwise, to nimerjaber1@..., and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Should you have views on which candidate is best to head this forum, please send those to the owner address as directed by Joseph.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message. Should I be appointed, I look forward to getting to know and connect with you.

--- Best,

Nimer Jaber

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 2:19 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Best,

Nimer Jaber

attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

Hi all,

And with that, this thread is locked (condition met). Please send your comments about these two candidates to win10+owner@win10.groups.io by June 15, 2021. In the meantime I’ll be interviewing Nimer and Kenny, and hope to make a decision later this month. Thanks.

[...]

Briefly unlocking this thread to post nimer's answers to interview questions, similar to a post from Kenny so oflks can compare candidates.Hello,

  1. How long have you been using Windows 10?

I have been using Windows 10 since the beginning of Windows 10. I am an early adopter and upgrade early and often to provide feedback, but also to be updated so that I can provide students with the best possible training.

  1. How do you feel about the current trends in Windows 10 in regards to screen reader use, namely Sun Valley, cloud features, and apps?

I don't know much about Sunvalley, but am awaiting Microsoft to tell us more soon. I am guessing that it will not be called Windows 11 though. As for trends, Microsoft is investing quite a bit to make their products and apps accessible, but there is still alot of work for Microsoft and screen reader developers to do to make sure that accessibility does not slip, and that usability is considered for everyone. Many screen reader users avoid cloud features and apps. This may be because they are not discoverable for anyone who does things the same way they have been used do. Nonetheless, I believe that cloud features and apps are becoming more vital, particularly cloud features, and feel that users must be fed bits and provided with material to learn to make the most use out of Windows and its features. Even trainers aren't comfortable with these features and changes, and do not tend to teach these things, though the issue, it seems to me, is less that of accessibility and more of a fear of the unknown.

  1. Which method would you use to advocate for accessibility and change in Windows 10 ecosystem, and how would you motivate hundreds of people to advocate for themselves?

If changes need to be made, I would get feedback from users to determine what the changes should be, and whether there is any consensus on those changes. I would approach the vendor that needs to make that change. I would ask individuals to upvote feedback in the feedback hub. I would approach NVAccess or VFO in respect of screen reader changes. In respect of motivation, there is not a motivation pill, unfortunately. As a trainer, I've been looking and spend lots of time in the drugstores trying to find that pill. The best motivation is to ask those who do use certain features to discuss those, to provide tutorials as able, and hopefully, individuals can be lead to motivation or change through observing others' experiences. If those experiences are positive, those individuals may be more likely to be motivated and change. If there is little reason for motivation, and what a user is doing works for them, then no matter what I say or do not say, they will not be motivated. I believe that, as a list owner, it is my responsibility to foster that environment where individuals can discuss their successes, they can provide links to tutorials, etc., and individuals who struggle can discuss those struggles in a positive way, and at the end of the day, this model works because nobody is forced to change, they are not forced to be motivated, they are lead to that by their own curiosity, by their own desires and needs.

  1. If you are a Windows Insider, how would you explain upcoming changes to those not using Insider Preview builds?

I believe the current system of letting individuals know what is new when the final insider build is released is a good idea. It is good to provide a digestable summary of changes, and to allow other insiders to discuss their perspectives on those changes. I also believe it is important to highlight any major immpact to users as a result of bugs or features not working correctly.

  1. Are you willing to maintain working relationships with Microsoft staff, screen reader vendors, and app developers?

Absolutely, and believe that the community is better for those connections. The community thrives when developers and users alike have a safe space to learn from one another.

  1. Most importantly, are you willing to take responsibility for your decisions and become a public face representing a group of Windows 10 and screen reader users, both within the screen reader user community and elsewhere? I take responsibility for any decision I make, good or bad, no matter what I do, whether I am an owner of a particular forum or not. So yes, I am willing to take such responsibility, and knowing the amount of work you have dedicated to the Win10 list, I do not take that lightly. However, if there is a candidate that is better qualified or an individual you believe represents this community better, they would be a better fit. I volunteer for this role in the absense of anyone else qualified or able to take this on, as I believe it is important to have a seamless transition of power.