Topics

Win10 and a Master Volume Control

Mike Pietruk

One of the things that currently annoys me most is the "apparent" lack of
a master volume control forcing all sound devices to be raised and lowered
and muted together.
In Googling, I read that several years back, MicroSoft removed this
feature from Win 10.
Has it been brought back; and, if so, how do I get to it?
And, if not, are there utilities or other work arounds that will allow me
to have sound level controlled as they have been since the Win 95 days.

I understand why some would prefer having each program allowed to
establish its own sound parameters.
But, when I listen to audio, I use an external synthesizer so this isn't
something of value to me -- at least right now.

The issue is you push things up and down to much and they raise the volume controls a lot.

In a desktop with its own speakers having everything at max or even half is probably fine.

However in a laptop depending on the wattage of the speakers it all depends.

My laptop with 2 kilowatt speakers and  a gaming/ workstation amp without enhanced sound filtering on the standard ms drivers would overload anything I plug into it I tried.

The enhanced realtech drivers will allow those to run, the earphones run at 50 % and are fine and the main speakers run at 60.

However take away the overdriven power of the workstation and put it into the cloud book my aunt has, and not only do I need volume at max but I need every ehancement on to stop the speakers sounding like a couple tin cans.

Even with that up and running like that they sound as good as my workstation but only at half the power.

I think to be honest that all volume controls should be independant from eachother.

For example, I don't want to have master adjust with everything else if at all possible.

Master should always be at full or whatever it is, half I guess is fine.

Everything adjusts to what it should be and if I need something louder in some situations then that should be like that.

And vice versa.

On 7/02/2020 12:24 pm, Mike Pietruk wrote:
One of the things that currently annoys me most is the "apparent" lack of
a master volume control forcing all sound devices to be raised and lowered
and muted together.
In Googling, I read that several years back, MicroSoft removed this
feature from Win 10.
Has it been brought back; and, if so, how do I get to it?
And, if not, are there utilities or other work arounds that will allow me
to have sound level controlled as they have been since the Win 95 days.

I understand why some would prefer having each program allowed to
establish its own sound parameters.
But, when I listen to audio, I use an external synthesizer so this isn't
something of value to me -- at least right now.

Dave Grossoehme

Good Afternoon:  Maybe your answer to this problem, is to buy speakers that have there volume control.

Dave

On 2/6/2020 5:42 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

The answer, as it turned out, was drivers for my multimedia keyboard, a
Logitech KB330 of which I own 3.
We downloaded drivers for the KB, for the dongal, and another from a
source I forget, and the volume control now works no matter which window
is open.
Master volume has returned -- no thanks to MSFT but to Logitech.

Mike Pietruk

Let me add one point in addition:

Logitech had no specific drivers for the KB330 that were labeled Win 10.
They stopped with Win 8.

My adult son, who loves tinkering with all sorts of electronic gadgest,
decided to experiment and download anything on the site that he thought
might work.
suddenly, the multimedia lights started blinking and we knew we had a hit.
That also prompted other links to pop up prompting to be downloaded.
And when the process was over, i had what I wanted and needed -- a master
volume control with a mute and a pause.