Topics

What's the biggest M.2 SSD that I can get for my Asus Zenbook laptop?

Kevin Minor

Hi.

I’m very happy with this laptop, except for the 512 GB SSD. I’d like to get something larger. I’ve heard of 2 tb drives, but I was wondering if there was anything bigger. My ideal size would be at least 4 TB. I do know the more you put on one of these drives means when it fails, there’s more to lose unless you do backups. Also, I know it won’t be cheap. I’m just curious how large I can go?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Kevin and Jilly the flying dog

Tyler Spivey

On 10/1/2020 10:09 PM, Kevin Minor wrote:
Hi.

I’m very happy with this laptop, except for the 512 GB SSD. I’d like to
get something larger. I’ve heard of 2 tb drives, but I was wondering if
there was anything bigger. My ideal size would be at least 4 TB. I do
know the more you put on one of these drives means when it fails,
there’s more to lose unless you do backups. Also, I know it won’t be
cheap. I’m just curious how large I can go?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Kevin and Jilly the flying dog

My, but that's an eye-watering price!!  But I was also unaware of an 8 TB option, and at $1400 it's not on my short list!

Even after 30 plus years of using a computer, uploading pictures, and compiling a large music library I'm not up to 1TB of "active storage" yet.   But I also make a point of offloading very seldom used material to external backup drives, as I'd really rather not have what amounts to unnecessary clutter when I'm dealing with what I need to deal with on a routine basis.  I know where the seldom used stuff is if I need it and it's just a walk upstairs to fetch a backup drive, and plug it in.  I keep at least two copies, on separate drives, of anything offloaded this way, as you have to have a backup of anything, and a single copy, regardless of what media it's on, has no backup.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Sarah k Alawami

Yep. I do the same thing. My mac's back up drive just died, but I do have an off site, online back up of what I need, on both computers. My 4 tb drive bit the dust, my 6 tb drive is still going, for now. I'm back up crazy. Lol! I would recommend if you can, get a 1tb ssd drive.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 01:11 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
I would recommend if you can, get a 1tb ssd drive.
-
Which, by pure coincidence, is what I just did.  I had a failing keyboard on my laptop so since I knew I needed to tear it down completely to replace that I got rid of the 2TB HDD, which was well under half way full (and will now become another backup drive once I get an enclosure), and put in a Mushkin 1TB SSD at the same time.  Even a 2TB SSD is within reason price-wise for a lot of people.

I will say, though, for anyone using an SSD that the importance of having backups goes up, way up.  It's not that SSDs are any more failure-prone than HDDs, but if they do fail and you have no backup the current rates for data recovery from an SSD makes HDD data recovery look dirt cheap by comparison.  And HDD recovery isn't dirt cheap to start with.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

valiant8086

Hi.

Knock on wood (ouch my head), I haven't failed a single ssd yet, but I have failed an hdd though granted it was a Maxtor Diamond so yeah why not.

For Hitachi, I can attest to their reliability, I have one that hasn't been necessarily gently used, is a 1 tb 7200 rpm travelstar 2.5 inch. I originally used it for the OS drive on a bearbones build of a nettop or, if you will, htpc style desktop machine, but it used an Atom d2550 board. I gave it 4 gb of ram, but it ran Windows 10 for part of the time and I imagine the swap file may have given the hitachi a bit of a workout. Later I bought an intel NUC and sold the original nettop after installing a small ssd in it. That machine is still in active use today as more or less a file server, with a really big external hdd plugged into one of its USB 3 ports.

The NUC I bought was a 6th gen tall version, meaning it had space for my Hitachi. I installed it to use as data storage, with the OS running off of the internal 128 gb m.2 ssd.

At about the 10 month mark we got a really vicious electrical storm that saw a lightning strike hit something important, killing power for a couple of days and telephone for a little over a week. A neighbor's electric box exploded, the local telephone box got completely gutted and they actually never did get it back to completely normal, my dsl uploads slower than it did which wasn't good anyway. It didn't smoke anything in our house, but my dsl modem failed and my Intel NUC also failed, as did a Peavey PV6 mixing board that was plugged via USB into the NUC. Our garage door opener of all things failed, so did a coffee maker.

Anyway, I was able to get the NUC replaced, and come to find out that it had a BIOS update that fixed a known issue allowing voltage spikes to ruin the board because the IVR circuit was incorrectly handled or something like that. Well I just pulled out the Hitachi and waited for the new nuc to come. I hoped that Hitachi would still work. Got the new NUC and installed the hitachi in it and it still worked pretty as you please.

The really sad part is that it's nearly full, only about 40 gb free, so that increases its workload some. I recently checked it with Crystal Disk Info and it is nearing the 60,000 hour runtime mark. At this point I'm rather amazed. It's starting to look like I might end up switching away do to storage constraints rather than failure.

So saying, Go Hitachi if you have a choice and you're after an hdd. This one has been in 3 computers one of which got killed by an Electrical strike and is still working at peak efficiency. It runs non stop all day every day and the total runtime in hours can litterally be divided by 24 and get you very close to the number of days it has been since I bought it. I'm so proud of that thing, can you tell? lol

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 09:07 AM, valiant8086 wrote:
I haven't failed a single ssd yet
-
Just as a data point to the readership, I had both Mushkin 1TB SSDs (I exchanged for the first one that failed, thinking it had to be a fluke) fail on me after less than 5 days of use, each.

I will admit that this is not characteristic of SSDs as a class, but there it is.  And when they go, they're gone.  They are also much harder, and more expensive, to recover data from as well.  As one of the techs who does data recovery for his living on another forum I haunt said of SSDs, "And less likely recoverable should they fail."

So the upshot here is, like it always is:  backup, backup, backup!!

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Is m.2 better than a ssd

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 09:07 AM, valiant8086 wrote:

I haven't failed a single ssd yet

-
Just as a data point to the readership, I had both Mushkin 1TB SSDs (I exchanged for the first one that failed, thinking it had to be a fluke) fail on me after less than 5 days of use, each.

I will admit that this is not characteristic of SSDs as a class, but there it is.  And when they go, they're gone.  They are also much harder, and more expensive, to recover data from as well.  As one of the techs who does data recovery for his living on another forum I haunt said of SSDs, "And less likely recoverable should they fail."

So the upshot here is, like it always is:  backup, backup, backup!!

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Hamit Campos

M.2 is a type of something. I think is it the memory? or the connection. It's not the SSD itself though.

Is m.2 better than a ssd

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:46 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
M.2 is a type of something. I think is it the memory? or the connection. It's not the SSD itself though.
-
You cannot separate the two.   An M.2 NVME SSD does, indeed, look more like a memory stick than a conventional disc drive, but that was simply an evolution in design.  SATA SSDs were developed so that you could "plug n' play" replace existing drives with SSDs.

I'm not saying that there are no differences, because there are, and M.2 NVME has significantly faster throughput.

But they're both solid state drives.  I'd say, by way of analogy, the difference between a SATA SSD and M.2 NVME SSD is akin to the difference between a 5200 RPM HDD and a 7200 RPM HDD.  Both SSD technologies are, at their heart, solid state devices just like both of the speeds of HDDs are, at their heart, spinning platter drives.

P.S.:  The drives I recently had fail were both SATA-type SSDs, Not M.2 NVME

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Hamit Campos

Ah so they are different then. My bad. I knew they were in a way but couldn't remember well enough. So to be clear and thanks for reminding me Brian. All I was origenaly saying is that as far as I had remembered it was a connector or memory difference but for the person's need I couldn't really explain because and perhaps I misread the message I thought they thought M.2 NV ME was a type of SSD if you will. I guess then to an extent it is. Thanks for the reminder. I use to really be up on these things since I watched PC Perspective and they talk a lot about these things as it's a PC hardware show.