What does CONTROL plus WINDOWS LOGO KEY plus S do?

Bill White

The subject says it all. What does CONTROL plus WINDOWS LOGO KEY plus S do? When I press it, I hear a ding sound, about two seconds after I press it. It's not the error sound that one hears if an invalid key is pressed. Does anyone know what this command does in Windows 10? I don't have any apps open when I hear this sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Madison Martin

Hi Bill,

I just tried it and it said something  about speech recognition language, not sure if this helps at all…

Madison

The subject says it all. What does CONTROL plus WINDOWS LOGO KEY plus S do? When I press it, I hear a ding sound, about two seconds after I press it. It's not the error sound that one hears if an invalid key is pressed. Does anyone know what this command does in Windows 10? I don't have any apps open when I hear this sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi,

It starts Windows Speech Recognition.

The subject says it all. What does CONTROL plus WINDOWS LOGO KEY plus S do? When I press it, I hear a ding sound, about two seconds after I press it. It's not the error sound that one hears if an invalid key is pressed. Does anyone know what this command does in Windows 10? I don't have any apps open when I hear this sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Bill White

Thank you, Madison. It didn't say anything like that for me. I appreciate the input.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I just tried it and it said something  about speech recognition language, not sure if this helps at all…

Madison

The subject says it all. What does CONTROL plus WINDOWS LOGO KEY plus S do? When I press it, I hear a ding sound, about two seconds after I press it. It's not the error sound that one hears if an invalid key is pressed. Does anyone know what this command does in Windows 10? I don't have any apps open when I hear this sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Bill White

Thank you, Joseph.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

The subject says it all. What does CONTROL plus WINDOWS LOGO KEY plus S do? When I press it, I hear a ding sound, about two seconds after I press it. It's not the error sound that one hears if an invalid key is pressed. Does anyone know what this command does in Windows 10? I don't have any apps open when I hear this sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

heather albright

Ah learned something knew! I think you have to have an audio device like a mic or a headset in order for it to work. At least that is what my windows10 pc said to me. Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

The subject says it all. What does CONTROL plus WINDOWS LOGO KEY plus S do? When I press it, I hear a ding sound, about two seconds after I press it. It's not the error sound that one hears if an invalid key is pressed. Does anyone know what this command does in Windows 10? I don't have any apps open when I hear this sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Timothy

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 04:24 PM, Bill White wrote:

What does CONTROL plus WINDOWS LOGO KEY plus S do?

Windows+Ctrl+S turns on Windows Speech Recognition (see the "Windows keyboard shortcuts for accessibility" Microsoft support article. This is not to be confused with Windows+H which starts dictation (see the "Keyboard shortcuts in Windows" help article. The first is offline and processed locally on-device, while the latter requires an internet connection.

When I press it, I hear a ding sound, about two seconds after I press it.

Yes. This setting can be set in your sound scheme, specifically the "On" sound under the "Windows Speech Recognition" node.

Timothy

You may have set up speech recognition already at some other time, for me Jaws also announced "Setup Windows speech recognition and then focus was on a "Next" button. Reviewing the screen showed te following information:

Welcome to Speech Recognition
Speech Recognition allows you to control your computer by voice.
Using only your voice, you can start programs, open menus, click buttons and other objects on the screen, dictate text into documents, and write and send e-mails.

Just about everything you do with your keyboard and mouse can be done with only your voice.

First, you will set up this computer to recognize your voice.
Note: You will be able to control your computer by voice once you have completed this setup wizard.

Next Button‑ Cancel Button‑

Thank you, Madison. It didn't say anything like that for me. I appreciate the input.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I just tried it and it said something  about speech recognition language, not sure if this helps at all…

Madison

The subject says it all. What does CONTROL plus WINDOWS LOGO KEY plus S do? When I press it, I hear a ding sound, about two seconds after I press it. It's not the error sound that one hears if an invalid key is pressed. Does anyone know what this command does in Windows 10? I don't have any apps open when I hear this sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Ann Byrne

How do you tell the computer to start/stop listening??

At 09:32 PM 6/9/2021, you wrote:

[...]

There is probably a speech command to tell the computer to stop listening, but you can also press CONTROL plus WINDOWS KEY plus S to stop it from listening. CONTROL plus WINDOWS KEY plus S is a toggle on/off.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

I just tried it and it said something about
speech recognition language, not sure if this helps at all…

Madison

The subject says it all. What does CONTROL plus
WINDOWS LOGO KEY plus S do? When I press it, I
hear a ding sound, about two seconds after I
press it. It's not the error sound that one
hears if an invalid key is pressed. Does anyone
know what this command does in Windows 10? I
don't have any apps open when I hear this sound.

Bill White

<mailto:billwhite92701@att.net>billwhite92701@att.net

janet

Hi Bill,

It didn’t say anything for me on my Windows Ten either.  Thank you Madison as well.

Janet

Thank you, Madison. It didn't say anything like that for me. I appreciate the input.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I just tried it and it said something  about speech recognition language, not sure if this helps at all…

Madison

The subject says it all. What does CONTROL plus WINDOWS LOGO KEY plus S do? When I press it, I hear a ding sound, about two seconds after I press it. It's not the error sound that one hears if an invalid key is pressed. Does anyone know what this command does in Windows 10? I don't have any apps open when I hear this sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

janet

Hi Joseph.

Ok I can understand this is supposed to start Speech Recognition, but does it say something when pressing these keys so that a blind person might know if the toggle is on or off?

Thank you.

Janet

The subject says it all. What does CONTROL plus WINDOWS LOGO KEY plus S do? When I press it, I hear a ding sound, about two seconds after I press it. It's not the error sound that one hears if an invalid key is pressed. Does anyone know what this command does in Windows 10? I don't have any apps open when I hear this sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi Janet,

Once Windows Speech Recognition is configured, Windows will play a sound to tell you that it is ready to listen to you, similar in concept to how dictation (Windows+H) works by playing a sound to tell you it is ready.

Although it has its uses, whenever I need to dictate text, I use dictation (Windows+H). Or for that matter, for lengthy writing, I prefer typing.

Ok I can understand this is supposed to start Speech Recognition, but does it say something when pressing these keys so that a blind person might know if the toggle is on or off?

Thank you.

Janet

The subject says it all. What does CONTROL plus WINDOWS LOGO KEY plus S do? When I press it, I hear a ding sound, about two seconds after I press it. It's not the error sound that one hears if an invalid key is pressed. Does anyone know what this command does in Windows 10? I don't have any apps open when I hear this sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

janet

Joseph,

Ok now I understand Speech Recognition needs to be configured first.  I think I will just stick with typing.

Thank you Thank you.

[...]

Hi, Janet. When the toggle is on, it makes a little sound. When you press it again, there is no sound. That's how you tell if it is on. When it is on, you get the sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Ok I can understand this is supposed to start Speech Recognition, but does it say something when pressing these keys so that a blind person might know if the toggle is on or off?

Thank you.

Janet

The subject says it all. What does CONTROL plus WINDOWS LOGO KEY plus S do? When I press it, I hear a ding sound, about two seconds after I press it. It's not the error sound that one hears if an invalid key is pressed. Does anyone know what this command does in Windows 10? I don't have any apps open when I hear this sound.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

janet

HI Bill,

This is good to know.

Thank you.

Janet

[...]

Pramit

It opens up Speech Recognition. This has to be configured before one can use it.