Topics

Waterfox browser

Maria Reyes

What is the difference between Waterfox and Firefox?

Maria Reyes
blindteky@...
my group: blind-techies+subscribe@groups.io

Kwork

Waterfox is the browser commonly used under the sea by the mer folk. Ariel and her large family no doubt use it daily on their waterproof computers. LOL!

Seriously, I've wondered the same thing, and what's the point. I've heard there are other Firefox clones, though I don't know if PaleMoon is still in development or not.

Travis

On 12/6/2018 4:58 PM, Maria Reyes wrote:
What is the difference between Waterfox and Firefox?

Maria Reyes
blindteky@...
my group: blind-techies+subscribe@groups.io

Timothy

A major difference is that Waterfox still has support for XUL/XPCOM (legacy) add-ons, as well as being pre-Quantum. I'm sure users requiring legacy add-ons have switched to Waterfox after the ESR branch switched from 52 to I think 60.

Timothy

Waterfox is the browser commonly used under the sea by the mer folk.
Ariel and her large family no doubt use it daily on their waterproof
computers. LOL!

Seriously, I've wondered the same thing, and what's the point. I've
heard there are other Firefox clones, though I don't know if PaleMoon is
still in development or not.

Travis

Well eventually the quantom and older codebases are supposed to be merged into one.

Who knows when that will happen.

The major issue with quantom bar its multiprocesser thing is that because of security reasons mozilla blocks access to systems directly.

Thats a good idea.

Sadly, that means that if an author needs to make an addon say like navigational sounds he has to write events from scratch, no registry access.

Thats why noscript is not accessible and why some dialogs of firefox are inaccessible, everything needs to not use any standard windows libraries or anything it can't to be secure.

Thats why mozilla has dumped the old accessibility thing and why using a screenreader in their eyes is unsafe to use because it could be a problem.

In a perfect world that approach is the best and will work.

But as some autnors have realised without the access they had it may not be tennable to continue.

Its why nav sounds is no more.

The author emailed me when I asked saying he couldn't be bothered making indevidual events.

And while there have been some obvious issues with the old engine and while the newer one is supposed to get better and better especially on the older systems its a struggle.

On 12/7/2018 4:11 PM, Timothy via Groups.Io wrote:
A major difference is that Waterfox still has support for XUL/XPCOM (legacy) add-ons, as well as being pre-Quantum. I'm sure users requiring legacy add-ons have switched to Waterfox after the ESR branch switched from 52 to I think 60.

Timothy

Waterfox is the browser commonly used under the sea by the mer folk.
Ariel and her large family no doubt use it daily on their waterproof
computers. LOL!

Seriously, I've wondered the same thing, and what's the point. I've
heard there are other Firefox clones, though I don't know if PaleMoon is
still in development or not.

Travis

Mike B.

Could you put that in non computer lingo?!  LOL  LOL  I'm not smart enough to understand all this computer language and too old to learn it since it'll change in a couple of days anyways!
Take care.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.
I type out everything I want to remember. That way instead of spending a lot of time trying to remember what it was, I spend the time looking for where I saved it!

Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2018 7:11 PM

A major difference is that Waterfox still has support for XUL/XPCOM (legacy) add-ons, as well as being pre-Quantum. I'm sure users requiring legacy add-ons have switched to Waterfox after the ESR branch switched from 52 to I think 60.

Timothy

> Waterfox is the browser commonly used under the sea by the mer folk.
> Ariel and her large family no doubt use it daily on their waterproof
> computers. LOL!
>
> Seriously, I've wondered the same thing, and what's the point. I've
> heard there are other Firefox clones, though I don't know if PaleMoon is
> still in development or not.
>
> Travis

Hope Williamson

Well I find Waterfox to be faster, but that’s just me. It also seems to be less crashy. Firefox with the quantum stuff built-in is extremely unstable. Or at least it is every time I attempt to use it.