Topics

Valid characters in Windows 10 query.

Sean Murphy

All,

I am wondering why Windows 10 except specific characters in the filenames. This came from the internet and is a text file. I have only shown the relevant character that windows compress complains about. Windows 10 allows you to open the folder.

(ThereÃs)

As I thought Windows would have complained due to my language set being English USA or English Australia. Any ideas?

Sean

JM Casey

Hello.

I don’t see any reason why Windows would complain specifically about your language settings.

Some characters are not allowed in files names. These are not necessarily the same across operating systems, though Windows is more liberal than it/dos used to be (the number of disallowed characters was a lot greater in the old days).

I don’t think this has any connection to language settings, but moreso how commands are entered into the operating system. Characters like the colon have a very specific purpose.

You can just choose a different, appropriate file name, hopefully.