Topics

UWA Bulletin: Mail app can become accessible with some changes to settings #universalapps #a11y

Hi all,

During the course of a Skype conversation, I was told that you can make Mail app accessible by changing some settings (at least one). Specifically, you need to do the following:

1.       Open Mail app.

2.       Select Settings.

3.       Go to Reading.

4.       Locate “use caret to navigate reading pane” and toggle it on.

5.       Select Back button, then press Alt+F4. You are all set.

For those using NVDA: four developers – one from NV Access, three testers – are working on Mail app support at the moment.

Scott VanDeWalle <scottvandewalle2@...>

What other settings, cuz, not really is it much more accessible.

Scott
During the course of a Skype conversation, I was told that you can make Mail app accessible by changing some settings (at least one). Specifically, you need to do the following:

* 1. Open Mail app.
* 2. Select Settings.
* 3. Go to Reading.
* 4. Locate “use caret to navigate reading pane” and toggle it on.
* 5. Select Back button, then press Alt+F4. You are all set.
For those using NVDA: four developers – one from NV Access, three testers – are working on Mail app support at the moment.

David Moore

What is it that you are trying to access?
With NVDA, I can set up accounts, send, reply, and forward messages, read messages, and navigate the app. I do not have to even use object navigation. Let me know which of that you are not able to do.
David Moore win10 list moderator)

What other settings, cuz, not really is it much more accessible.

Scott
During the course of a Skype conversation, I was told that you can make Mail app accessible by changing some settings (at least one). Specifically, you need to do the following:

* 1. Open Mail app.
* 2. Select Settings.
* 3. Go to Reading.
* 4. Locate “use caret to navigate reading pane” and toggle it on.
* 5. Select Back button, then press Alt+F4. You are all set.
For those using NVDA: four developers – one from NV Access, three testers – are working on Mail app support at the moment.

David Moore

Hi scott and all,
Below are two drop box links of text tutorials that I have done on using the win10 mail, calendar and people apps with NVDA and JAWS. I cover both in the two tutorials. The first link, is mostly help from MS, and they assume you are using Narrator, but you can use JAWS and NVDA as well. The second link that downloads a text file called Using win10 apps, I go over many work arounds that you have to do with NVDA and JAWS to make the mail app accessible. For example, to read a message with NVDA, hold down the shift while you arrow through the message. That is the only way that I can read a message with NVDA. Here are the links.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3caxq247q3i9nd/all%20about%20win10%20mail%20app.txt?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrb5mtfyftlxhrf/using%20win10%20apps.txt?dl=1
David Moore (win10 list moderator)

What other settings, cuz, not really is it much more accessible.
Scott
During the course of a Skype conversation, I was told that you can make
Mail app accessible by changing some settings (at least one).
Specifically, you need to do the following:

* 1. Open Mail app.
* 2. Select Settings.
* 3. Go to Reading.
* 4. Locate “use caret to navigate reading pane” and toggle it on.
* 5. Select Back button, then press Alt+F4. You are all set.
For those using NVDA: four developers – one from NV Access, three
testers – are working on Mail app support at the moment.

Ron Kolesar

Don't know if I want to test drive the mail app once again.
The last time I tried out the mail app I had ms tech support set it up for
me.
But had to roll the clock back.
Also, I've been out to the twim warner cable roadrunner sign in.
I've was able to make my additional mailboxes.
1. either online and or also via the mail app, how does one create sub
mailboxes?
For example, I have a games mailbox, and when I open it up I have the
audyssey list, the blind and vissually impaired Pilots mailing list. and the
truck driving game called
www.truckingsim.com
I have three mailboxes that have sub mailboxes.
So, how does one create sub mailboxes?
2. How does one create message rules AKA mail filters?
Sub mailboxes and message rules are a walk in the park in WLM and with win
10.
I'll down load the tutorials but I'm going to stay with WLM for now.
Ron

What other settings, cuz, not really is it much more accessible.

Scott
During the course of a Skype conversation, I was told that you can make
Mail app accessible by changing some settings (at least one).
Specifically, you need to do the following:

* 1. Open Mail app.
* 2. Select Settings.
* 3. Go to Reading.
* 4. Locate “use caret to navigate reading pane” and toggle it on.
* 5. Select Back button, then press Alt+F4. You are all set.
For those using NVDA: four developers – one from NV Access, three
testers – are working on Mail app support at the moment.

matthew dyer

Hi,

Discovered this a few weeks ago while playing around in the settings.  Will keep an eye on this one.

Matthew

On 07/11/2016 05:38 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

During the course of a Skype conversation, I was told that you can make Mail app accessible by changing some settings (at least one). Specifically, you need to do the following:

1.       Open Mail app.

2.       Select Settings.

3.       Go to Reading.

4.       Locate “use caret to navigate reading pane” and toggle it on.

5.       Select Back button, then press Alt+F4. You are all set.

For those using NVDA: four developers – one from NV Access, three testers – are working on Mail app support at the moment.

tomas janssen <janto10@...>

Hi. What is the shortcut for settings. And does this work for w8.1 ?  Regards

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 12 jul. 2016 om 21:04 heeft matthew dyer <ilovecountrymusic483@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hi,

Discovered this a few weeks ago while playing around in the settings.  Will keep an eye on this one.

Matthew

On 07/11/2016 05:38 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

During the course of a Skype conversation, I was told that you can make Mail app accessible by changing some settings (at least one). Specifically, you need to do the following:

1.       Open Mail app.

2.       Select Settings.

3.       Go to Reading.

4.       Locate “use caret to navigate reading pane” and toggle it on.

5.       Select Back button, then press Alt+F4. You are all set.

For those using NVDA: four developers – one from NV Access, three testers – are working on Mail app support at the moment.

Greg Wocher

Hello,

When I use NVDA 2016.2.1 and change this setting I am still unable to read mail. When I hit enter on a message to read it will tell me I am in the message but nothing at all will read. Pressing the arrow keys does nothing and neither will a say all.

Regards,

Greg Wocher