Topics

things on the task bar

Don H
 

I generally use alt tab to go through the items I have open on the task bar. However it doesn't seem to work as well as it has in the past.
Running Win 10 version 1809 and using NVDA as my screen reader.
If I have lets say three thing open alt tab will only let me switch between two of them. If I want to get to the thrid one I have to close one. Is this normal operation?
Thanks

Dean Martineau
 

If you were using JAWS, I would say to shut down and restart the screen reader. But alt+tab is the most inefficient way to move from app to app. It works just as well under 1809 for me as it did, but if you have lots of apps running, it is inefficient. The better way, and for some of us this takes some getting used to, is to resist the alt+tab habit and instead press windows+t, then either arrow right or left, or, preferably, press the first letter of the app you want to switch to. This would be the name of the mailbox currently focused in Outlook, the name of the currently focused Word document, and so on. I have windows set up to never combine task bar icons, so that first-letter navigation will get me everywhere.

Dean

Thought-provoking reading: http://bahaiteachings.org

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2018 4:04 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] things on the task bar

I generally use alt tab to go through the items I have open on the task
bar. However it doesn't seem to work as well as it has in the past.
Running Win 10 version 1809 and using NVDA as my screen reader.
If I have lets say three thing open alt tab will only let me switch
between two of them. If I want to get to the thrid one I have to close
one. Is this normal operation?
Thanks

JM Casey
 

If you are using JAWS and finding that alt-tab is not behaving as it should, try restarting the screen-reader. I have found that JAWS occasionally limits the functionality of alt-tab, and, as you say, I can only move between a couple of operational windows. Don't know why this is, but there are things you can do. Restart jAWS and you may get that functionality back. As Dean suggested, using the actual taskbar and letter navigation to get where you want is a good solution. You can also use the JAWS window list with JAWS key + f10.

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: December 3, 2018 4:04 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] things on the task bar

I generally use alt tab to go through the items I have open on the task bar. However it doesn't seem to work as well as it has in the past.
Running Win 10 version 1809 and using NVDA as my screen reader.
If I have lets say three thing open alt tab will only let me switch between two of them. If I want to get to the thrid one I have to close one. Is this normal operation?
Thanks

 

Do you press Alt+tab and let go of both keys or do you continue to hold the Alt key as you press tab?
I have no problems cycling between as many applications as I have open whether it's 2 or 6 with Alt+Tab. If you have a lot of apps open and are using Jaws you may want to consider using Jaws Key+F10 which loads a list of all your apps and you can arrow through them or use first letter navigation, once you find the one you want enter will put you there.

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2018 4:04 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] things on the task bar

I generally use alt tab to go through the items I have open on the task
bar. However it doesn't seem to work as well as it has in the past.
Running Win 10 version 1809 and using NVDA as my screen reader.
If I have lets say three thing open alt tab will only let me switch
between two of them. If I want to get to the thrid one I have to close
one. Is this normal operation?
Thanks

Howard Traxler
 

You gotta keep that alt key down while you tab through the programs.

On 12/3/2018 3:04 PM, Don H wrote:
I generally use alt tab to go through the items I have open on the task bar.  However it doesn't seem to work as well as it has in the past.
Running Win 10 version 1809 and using NVDA as my screen reader.
If I have lets say three thing open alt tab will only let me switch between two of them.  If I want to get to the thrid one I have to close one.  Is this normal operation?
Thanks



 

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 04:12 PM, Dean Martineau wrote:
The better way, and for some of us this takes some getting used to, is to resist the alt+tab habit and instead press windows+t, then either arrow right or left,
I don't see this as better, necessarily, particularly if you're not using first letter navigation (and many people would have no idea, after a period of time has passed, what mailbox currently has focus or which of several documents in Word they might currently have open).

WinKey+T always places you on the leftmost item in the taskbar, whether it's open or not.  Right now in my case it puts me on Calculator, which is not open, then a right arrow moves me to Word, which is open, then File Explorer, which is not open, then through the programs I currently have open.  ALT+TAB cycles strictly through currently running programs, and if you get in the habit of not letting go of the ALT until you hear what you want to gain focus on, the repeated tabbing can be very fast.

Both methods have their place, and WinKey+T can be more efficient if you have the memory to exploit first letter navigation in the manner you describe.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

     You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

               ~ Anne Lamott

 

 

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 04:34 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
You gotta keep that alt key down while you tab through the programs.
Amen!!   I have to say, though, that I'm shocked at how long it takes some of my students to get that ALT+TAB is to fire up the whole process and that the ALT is held down while tabbing until you hear the program to which you wish to throw focus.  It often takes me ages to stop them from doing ALT+TAB, release, ALT+TAB, release, etc., etc., etc., even after having been clued in.  I wish I knew why that is, but it's happened often enough that I've noticed the pattern.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

     You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

               ~ Anne Lamott

 

JM Casey
 

I could see that happening, but the OP did seem to suggest that alt-tab was sometimes not behaving as it normally did, so I’d guess he was doing it right.

And I have noticed this strange behaviour with JAWS 18 and Windows 10 in particular (not sure it has done this since I have switched to JAWS 2018 actually), where alt-tab would just move back and forth between two (possibly most recently accessed) windows and not through all of them. I have no explanation for it; it does not make sense to me that JAWS would break the functionality of a Windows keyboard command, but it happened to me a number of times, and only a JAWS restart would cause alt-tab to revert to its normal function of cycling through all open windows.

 

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: December 3, 2018 4:38 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] things on the task bar

 

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 04:34 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:

You gotta keep that alt key down while you tab through the programs.

Amen!!   I have to say, though, that I'm shocked at how long it takes some of my students to get that ALT+TAB is to fire up the whole process and that the ALT is held down while tabbing until you hear the program to which you wish to throw focus.  It often takes me ages to stop them from doing ALT+TAB, release, ALT+TAB, release, etc., etc., etc., even after having been clued in.  I wish I knew why that is, but it's happened often enough that I've noticed the pattern.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

     You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

               ~ Anne Lamott

 

JM Casey
 

Jeez, I must be really distracted, because I missed the part about NVDA altogether. Sorry guys.

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: December 3, 2018 4:35 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] things on the task bar

You gotta keep that alt key down while you tab through the programs.

On 12/3/2018 3:04 PM, Don H wrote:
I generally use alt tab to go through the items I have open on the
task bar. However it doesn't seem to work as well as it has in the past.
Running Win 10 version 1809 and using NVDA as my screen reader.
If I have lets say three thing open alt tab will only let me switch
between two of them. If I want to get to the thrid one I have to
close one. Is this normal operation?
Thanks




Howard Traxler
 

Oh Yeh, it was my habbit to let go of the alt key, too.  Back when I first learned that the rotating control exists.  I had the same trouble trying to teach it.  Some of my students found it just easier to close a program and re-open it as needed.


On 12/3/2018 3:38 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 04:34 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
You gotta keep that alt key down while you tab through the programs.
Amen!!   I have to say, though, that I'm shocked at how long it takes some of my students to get that ALT+TAB is to fire up the whole process and that the ALT is held down while tabbing until you hear the program to which you wish to throw focus.  It often takes me ages to stop them from doing ALT+TAB, release, ALT+TAB, release, etc., etc., etc., even after having been clued in.  I wish I knew why that is, but it's happened often enough that I've noticed the pattern.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

     You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

               ~ Anne Lamott

 

Curtis Delzer
 

The issue with windows+t is that if you have only one windows key on the left side of the keyboard, it is a heck of a stretch to hit it easily. I’ve used windows+b for the system tray rather than the jfw insert+f11 because that script gets flaky many time more often than windows+b. Thanks, Dean for that windows+t command, now where do I find the setting for never combining icons?

Curtis Delzer 
H.S.
WB6HEF
San Bernardino, CA
_____
SENT! From Curt’s iPhone!

On Dec 3, 2018, at 1:56 PM, Howard Traxler <howard@...> wrote:

Oh Yeh, it was my habbit to let go of the alt key, too.  Back when I first learned that the rotating control exists.  I had the same trouble trying to teach it.  Some of my students found it just easier to close a program and re-open it as needed.


On 12/3/2018 3:38 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 04:34 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
You gotta keep that alt key down while you tab through the programs.
Amen!!   I have to say, though, that I'm shocked at how long it takes some of my students to get that ALT+TAB is to fire up the whole process and that the ALT is held down while tabbing until you hear the program to which you wish to throw focus.  It often takes me ages to stop them from doing ALT+TAB, release, ALT+TAB, release, etc., etc., etc., even after having been clued in.  I wish I knew why that is, but it's happened often enough that I've noticed the pattern.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

     You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

               ~ Anne Lamott

 

Don H
 

Sorry I confused people, I am using NVDA not Jaws and I do hold down the alt key and still can only tab to two items.

On 12/3/2018 3:34 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
You gotta keep that alt key down while you tab through the programs.
On 12/3/2018 3:04 PM, Don H wrote:
I generally use alt tab to go through the items I have open on the task bar.  However it doesn't seem to work as well as it has in the past.
Running Win 10 version 1809 and using NVDA as my screen reader.
If I have lets say three thing open alt tab will only let me switch between two of them.  If I want to get to the thrid one I have to close one.  Is this normal operation?
Thanks




JM Casey
 

I never noticed this behaviour with NVDA, but I admit that I still don't use it as often as I do JAWS. I believe you though as JFW has done this as well to me in the past.

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: December 3, 2018 5:18 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] things on the task bar

Sorry I confused people, I am using NVDA not Jaws and I do hold down the alt key and still can only tab to two items.

On 12/3/2018 3:34 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
You gotta keep that alt key down while you tab through the programs.

On 12/3/2018 3:04 PM, Don H wrote:
I generally use alt tab to go through the items I have open on the
task bar. However it doesn't seem to work as well as it has in the past.
Running Win 10 version 1809 and using NVDA as my screen reader.
If I have lets say three thing open alt tab will only let me switch
between two of them. If I want to get to the thrid one I have to
close one. Is this normal operation?
Thanks







 

Hi,
Does restarting NVDA help? I'm interested in reading what NVDA has to say (log file) regarding this matter.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2018 2:18 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] things on the task bar

Sorry I confused people, I am using NVDA not Jaws and I do hold down the alt key and still can only tab to two items.

On 12/3/2018 3:34 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
You gotta keep that alt key down while you tab through the programs.

On 12/3/2018 3:04 PM, Don H wrote:
I generally use alt tab to go through the items I have open on the
task bar. However it doesn't seem to work as well as it has in the past.
Running Win 10 version 1809 and using NVDA as my screen reader.
If I have lets say three thing open alt tab will only let me switch
between two of them. If I want to get to the thrid one I have to
close one. Is this normal operation?
Thanks







Don H
 

Yes restarting NVDA works some of the time.

On 12/3/2018 5:34 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Does restarting NVDA help? I'm interested in reading what NVDA has to say (log file) regarding this matter.
Cheers,
Joseph
-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2018 2:18 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] things on the task bar
Sorry I confused people, I am using NVDA not Jaws and I do hold down the alt key and still can only tab to two items.
On 12/3/2018 3:34 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
You gotta keep that alt key down while you tab through the programs.

On 12/3/2018 3:04 PM, Don H wrote:
I generally use alt tab to go through the items I have open on the
task bar. However it doesn't seem to work as well as it has in the past.
Running Win 10 version 1809 and using NVDA as my screen reader.
If I have lets say three thing open alt tab will only let me switch
between two of them. If I want to get to the thrid one I have to
close one. Is this normal operation?
Thanks







 

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 05:35 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:
now where do I find the setting for never combining icons?
Settings, Personalization, Taskbar Pane, Combine Taskbar Buttons dropdown.   Choose "Never."
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

     You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

               ~ Anne Lamott

 

Kwork
 

Dean, where do you go to make sure Windows never combines Taskbar items? Thanks.

On 12/3/2018 2:12 PM, Dean Martineau wrote:
If you were using JAWS, I would say to shut down and restart the screen reader. But alt+tab is the most inefficient way to move from app to app. It works just as well under 1809 for me as it did, but if you have lots of apps running, it is inefficient. The better way, and for some of us this takes some getting used to, is to resist the alt+tab habit and instead press windows+t, then either arrow right or left, or, preferably, press the first letter of the app you want to switch to. This would be the name of the mailbox currently focused in Outlook, the name of the currently focused Word document, and so on. I have windows set up to never combine task bar icons, so that first-letter navigation will get me everywhere.

Dean

Thought-provoking reading: http://bahaiteachings.org

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2018 4:04 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] things on the task bar

I generally use alt tab to go through the items I have open on the task
bar. However it doesn't seem to work as well as it has in the past.
Running Win 10 version 1809 and using NVDA as my screen reader.
If I have lets say three thing open alt tab will only let me switch
between two of them. If I want to get to the thrid one I have to close
one. Is this normal operation?
Thanks






.

Kwork
 

Thank you much.

On 12/3/2018 6:02 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 05:35 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:
now where do I find the setting for never combining icons?
Settings, Personalization, Taskbar Pane, Combine Taskbar Buttons dropdown.   Choose "Never."
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

     You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

               ~ Anne Lamott

 

Kwork
 

Brian, Are there any other settings you recommend to be set a certain way in the Taskbar pane? Thanks.

Travis

On 12/3/2018 6:02 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 05:35 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:
now where do I find the setting for never combining icons?
Settings, Personalization, Taskbar Pane, Combine Taskbar Buttons dropdown.   Choose "Never."
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

     You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

               ~ Anne Lamott

 

Dean Martineau
 

The easiest way to get to the task bar settings is to type 'task bar' from the start menu and press enter on Settings. Tab through there and you'll find it.

Thought-provoking reading: http://bahaiteachings.org

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kwork
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2018 8:42 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] things on the task bar

Dean, where do you go to make sure Windows never combines Taskbar items?
Thanks.

On 12/3/2018 2:12 PM, Dean Martineau wrote:
If you were using JAWS, I would say to shut down and restart the screen reader. But alt+tab is the most inefficient way to move from app to app. It works just as well under 1809 for me as it did, but if you have lots of apps running, it is inefficient. The better way, and for some of us this takes some getting used to, is to resist the alt+tab habit and instead press windows+t, then either arrow right or left, or, preferably, press the first letter of the app you want to switch to. This would be the name of the mailbox currently focused in Outlook, the name of the currently focused Word document, and so on. I have windows set up to never combine task bar icons, so that first-letter navigation will get me everywhere.

Dean

Thought-provoking reading: http://bahaiteachings.org

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2018 4:04 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] things on the task bar

I generally use alt tab to go through the items I have open on the task
bar. However it doesn't seem to work as well as it has in the past.
Running Win 10 version 1809 and using NVDA as my screen reader.
If I have lets say three thing open alt tab will only let me switch
between two of them. If I want to get to the thrid one I have to close
one. Is this normal operation?
Thanks







.