Topics

Sharing audio from phone to computer (version 2004 only)

Simon Jaeger

Hi all,

I got very bored yesterday and decided to pair my phone to my laptop to see what would happen. Not long after, I noticed a device in the recording tab of sound properties with the following name:

Line; Simon's iPhone SE A2DP SNK

A2DP is a common Bluetooth protocol used for stereo audio; it's what many headsets and speakers still use today. The fact I had a recording device named after my iPhone suggested that it would let me stream audio from my phone to the computer, somehow. I tried going to the context menu and hitting connect, which is a thing you can do with some Bluetooth devices; unfortunately this didn't work. After a bit of googling, I found that you have to install a third-party app to make this happen, though i'm not certain why. it's called Bluetooth Audio Receiver, and you can get it from the Microsoft store.

So, the steps are as follows:

1. Pair your phone with your computer (you can initiate this from either the phone or computer).

2. Download Bluetooth Audio Receiver.

3. Open Bluetooth Audio Receiver, press enter on your device in the list, and find the "open connection" button.

That's it! Your phone audio should now come through the computer. Unfortunately this does not include phone calls, but it does include system sounds, screen-readers, and any audio you decide to play on the phone, such as Spotify, books, or podcasts. I think this is pretty brilliant and I've been so much more attentive to my phone since discovering it.

Interestingly, opening a connection from Bluetooth Audio Receiver seems to do two things:

1. It does whatever black magic makes the Bluetooth audio connnection work properly.

2. It enables "listen to this device" on the A2DP audio device I discussed earlier, setting it to play back through the default audio device in Windows.

If you're still paying attention this far in and you haven't picked up on it already, there's one final bonus: Your phone audio is actually sent through an input device on Windows. Not only can it be sent through your default soundcard; it can also be recorded. If you have any content on your iPhone that you'd like to record onto the computer, this is a rough but effective way to do it. Just pair the phone and open the connection as described above, set your recording app on Windows to record from the A2DP device, and play the audio from your phone. I could see this being useful for app and game demonstrations and so much more.

Let me know if you have questions/comments. It might help if you CC my address; I don't always see list mail.

-Simon

valiant8086

Hi.

I believe this is part of what allows the your phone companion app to let you hear the phone audio, but it can even do phone calls there so.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com

On 10/16/2020 12:05 AM, Simon Jaeger wrote:
[...]

Steve Dresser

Simon,

At the risk of stating the obvious, this only works if your machine has a Bluetooth receiver, which many desktops do not. I'd hate to see someone download and install the software only to find that it didn't do anything.

Steve

[...]

Hamit Campos

h yeah you're right Steve. How ever any modern desktop for better or worse will have 1. I say for better or worse because sometimes these for what ever reason aren't so good and you loose signel too easely.

On 10/16/2020 10:38 AM, Steve Dresser via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Also, I do have an older 2012 desktop that I've maxed out with upgrades, and I have a $12 Avantree receiver plugged into it for various reasons. If I cared enough about this feature, I would think the cost of an adapter or perhaps even a proper Bluetooth card would be worth it.