Topics

settings app crashes when I try and enter game mode settings

Sarah k Alawami

Running windows 2004 second half, or what ever it's called.

  1. Hit windows i to get to settings
  2. Search for "game"
  3. Tab to and select game mode settings
  4. Hit enter.

Settings app crashes. I tried running the dms and scan things and all come back well. I will not at this time repair windows as I have a lot to do on said machine. I did reboot to see if that would fix the problems and it does not. If others can reproduce I might submit this as feedback as well.

Sarah,

         At the moment, even if you were inclined to attempt a repair install, it would not be able to complete.  The bug that's blocking the "Keep files and apps" choice for a repair install has been fixed, and is available for manual download, but has not been pushed out via Windows Update yet.  I believe it's supposed to go out in very early December.  Information on the preview update that fixes the repair update bug can be found here: KB4586853 CU Windows 10 v2004 build 19041.661 and v20H2 19042.661

         I'll add information to the topic I created when this bug was first being reported once I know that the fix is going out by Windows Update.  By the time it is pushed out it may be part of an entirely different KB number cumulative update.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Sarah k Alawami

Well, that's all well and good. Now, can anyone else reproduce this what ever this would be called? See OP for steps.

On 22 Nov 2020, at 11:24, Brian Vogel wrote:

Sarah,

         At the moment, even if you were inclined to attempt a repair install, it would not be able to complete.  The bug that's blocking the "Keep files and apps" choice for a repair install has been fixed, and is available for manual download, but has not been pushed out via Windows Update yet.  I believe it's supposed to go out in very early December.  Information on the preview update that fixes the repair update bug can be found here: KB4586853 CU Windows 10 v2004 build 19041.661 and v20H2 19042.661

         I'll add information to the topic I created when this bug was first being reported once I know that the fix is going out by Windows Update.  By the time it is pushed out it may be part of an entirely different KB number cumulative update.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Tyler Wood

Not over here.

I also searched on google (as I’m also assuming you did too) and did not see anything related to this.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 03:23 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Now, can anyone else reproduce this what ever this would be called?
-
Whether NVDA is in use, or not, I can go to Settings, Gaming, Game Mode, and get into the pane to toggle Game Mode ON/OFF without any issue.

Were I you, and I wanted to fix this, try Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10
That's the universal (for me, anyway) first step to try when anything related to the Windows 10 OS itself is misbehaving.  And there's nothing more related to the Windows 10 OS itself than Settings.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Sarah k Alawami

Yep. And I can enter every other setting except game settings. This is on my base machine, I'm assuming my shadow is going to be oK. Bleh. I really don't know why my settings app is crashing like this and only with this setting.

On 22 Nov 2020, at 12:26, Tyler Wood wrote:

[...]

Per my beginning statement, I already did this. And I can't really repair my windows box right now. But the runthrough of both came out all clean, nothingn is broken.

On 22 Nov 2020, at 12:59, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 03:23 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Now, can anyone else reproduce this what ever this would be called?
-
Whether NVDA is in use, or not, I can go to Settings, Gaming, Game Mode, and get into the pane to toggle Game Mode ON/OFF without any issue.

Were I you, and I wanted to fix this, try Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10
That's the universal (for me, anyway) first step to try when anything related to the Windows 10 OS itself is misbehaving.  And there's nothing more related to the Windows 10 OS itself than Settings.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Sarah k Alawami

After some quick testing, I did not make it crash with narrator, and when I disabled all the add ons in nvda I could get it to work. I think I know what might be causing the thing to crash but I need to do some more testing to be sure.

Here is the crash and here is what I did to kind of fix the problem.

Were I you, and I wanted to fix this, try Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10 ( https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnOc2l4M0Y1V3pkcGM )
That's the universal (for me, anyway) first step to try when anything related to the Windows 10 OS itself is misbehaving.  And there's nothing more related to the Windows 10 OS itself than Settings.

~ Lawrence Krauss

Sarah,

            I don't know what in heaven's name you used to record this, but it is hellishly difficult to watch.  It's like a psychedelic acid trip with a mini window bouncing around on top of changing colors that veil larger stuff behind it.  I got through as much as I could, and did not see a crash.  Same behavior for the fix MP4.

            If your intention is to provide something like this to potential assistants, that you use something else, anything else, to record what you're trying to capture.  For myself, I find what you've offered entirely unusable.  And this is not meant personally, as I have no idea whether you've ever received any feedback on whatever it is you're using, or if you'd ever used it before.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah I know why. And actually you are the only one who has complained. There was indeed a crash, the settings app just goes away. I have many sighted viewers on twitch who actually like what i use to record/edit etc. Anyway I think I do know what the issue is. If I am right I will be writing to the nvda list probably some time this week, as I think we have a broken add on on our hands.

On 22 Nov 2020, at 15:34, Brian Vogel wrote:

Sarah,

            I don't know what in heaven's name you used to record this, but it is hellishly difficult to watch.  It's like a psychedelic acid trip with a mini window bouncing around on top of changing colors that veil larger stuff behind it.  I got through as much as I could, and did not see a crash.  Same behavior for the fix MP4.

            If your intention is to provide something like this to potential assistants, that you use something else, anything else, to record what you're trying to capture.  For myself, I find what you've offered entirely unusable.  And this is not meant personally, as I have no idea whether you've ever received any feedback on whatever it is you're using, or if you'd ever used it before.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Sarah k Alawami

Ok, this gets even weirder. I disabled what I thought was the offending ad on, then I disabled all add ons and the settings app still crashes. I know this as it is just gone from the task bar. My screen reader quits speaking and I start to hear it speak settings, then the app just goes away and crashes. I just looked in the event viewer and settings app does indeed crash on me, but only when I do what I've been doing. It does not how ever crash when I browse to the category and then choose game mode. Here is the dropbox link to the event log. Looks like a fault in the curnal or something according to what I'm seeing. I didn't read all 600 characters, just glanced at it.