Topics

returning to desktop

Don H

Running Win 20h2 with all updates. Running NVDA 2020.4 as my screen reader although I don't think this is related to the screen reader used.
When I first boot up and get to the desktop I here the announcement Desktop view followed by the name of the icon that has focus. Then what seems to be a random event after openning something that causes moving away from the desktop such as openning a browser, Word or file explorer and then returning to the desktop it will say folder view followed by the icon having focus.
What is the difference between Desktop view and Folder view? Why does this change between desktop view and folder view happen?

In practice, nothing, really.  The desktop is an actual folder, which you see in your own File Explorer, that has a special presentation method in the form of the actual desktop.  It's still a folder, and it's likely exactly when the screen reader starts speaking, and what occurred to throw focus, that is determining whether Desktop versus folder view is announced.

When I just now fired up NVDA, while sitting on my desktop, when it completed firing up it said, "Folder View List, NVDA, 99 of 114," and the NVDA icon has focus.  There was no intervening program involved.

And if I'm typing a message into the Groups.io web interface like I'm doing now, and hit WinKey+D, never having taken focus off of NVDA when I left the desktop, it says exactly the same thing.

I know at one point or another I've heard Desktop announced, but I cannot recall exactly what the context was.  And I'm not referring to when you land on the Desktop item in the folder tree list in File Explorer.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Hi,

You will hear NVDA say “Desktop” if you:

  1. Minimize all windows (Windows+M).
  2. Switch between virtual desktops (in this case, you will hear “Desktop number” unless you’ve renamed the virtual desktop you are switching to).
  3. Actually open Desktop shell folder (via File Explorer).

[...]

Brad Snyder

More simply stated, the Windows desktop is a graphical representation of a file explorer folder and its contents.

- Brad -

On Feb 20, 2021, at 14:37, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave Grossoehme

Good Afternoon:  The best thing I can think of here, is when you sign in to your computer and NVDA is set to start up with the log in Desktop is spoken at the start of the computer, then taskbar or what ever, icon shows up.

Dave