From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Noah Davis
Sent: Saturday, June 5, 2021 1:47 PM
To: win10@groups.io
Subject: [win10] Resetting Windows 10

Hi,
For some reason, I cannot access my apps, or the app store in Windows 10. Tried multiple methods of fixing I've found but none seem to work.
Contemplating resetting the PC...Does anyone have experience with this? Are there parts of the procedure that aren't accessible? Of course, I anticipate that NVDA will re moved, but I know I could start narrator. I just wasn't sure if there were any tips to keep in mind during the process.
Thanks
-Noah

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 04:47 PM 6/5/2021, Noah Davis wrote:
For some reason, I cannot access my apps, or the app store in Windows
10. Tried multiple methods of fixing I've found but none seem to work.
Contemplating resetting the PC...Does anyone have experience with
this? Are there parts of the procedure that aren't accessible? Of
course, I anticipate that NVDA will re moved, but I know I could start
narrator. I just wasn't sure if there were any tips to keep in mind
during the process.

Before you haul off and reinstall Windows from scratch, try a few other recommended troubleshooting steps that usually work: 1. Open a command prompt or Powershell and type: sfc /scannow.
2. Open a command prompt administrator or Powershell administrator and type: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
3. Open Apps and Features, locate all your inaccessible Windows Store apps (including the Microsoft store itself and Cortana) press space to expand each, then tab and activate "advanced options". Tab to the "reset" button, activate it and wait until you hear "App reset complete." Do this for all the apps you aren't seeing.
4. Run the following Powershell commands (not from a command prompt; they won't work except with Powershell);
wsreset.exe
PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRootImmersiveControlPanelAppxManifest.xml
Get-AppxPackage –allusers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ImmersiveControlPanel | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:C:
Explorer.exe shell:AppsFolder\Windows.ImmersiveControlPanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

Be sure to press enter after each command.
These commands cause the deployment&management tool to redownload Windows components from Microsoft's servers. Some of the longer commands may appear silent before you hear speech output.
Only after doing all this should you consider reinstalling Windows.
P.S. I reinstalled Windows last night and found, as I was collecting these commands for you, that Notepad was giving me errors rather than opening. So, I myself opened Apps&Features, found Notepad, reset it and opened my text file of commands.
Good luck; I know how frustrating this is.
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Ph.D. in Music theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090

Noah Davis

Would doing a reset from physical media be more accessible than doing
a reset from settings? My concern is that while it is working, I may
try and start narrator at the wrong time, or somehow else, mess things
up in the process.

You must have installers for desktop programs (such as NVDA) handy, along
with license keys if any. By the way, try doing a repair install (from
installation media) instead of doing a reset in hopes that fresh files from
the installer will fix things.

For some reason, I cannot access my apps, or the app store in Windows 10.
Tried multiple methods of fixing I've found but none seem to work.
Contemplating resetting the PC...Does anyone have experience with this? Are
there parts of the procedure that aren't accessible? Of course, I anticipate
that NVDA will re moved, but I know I could start narrator. I just wasn't
sure if there were any tips to keep in mind during the process.
Thanks
-Noah

Hi,
Here are options you have:
1. Install Windows from a physical media or an ISO file while using Windows: if you do choose repair installation (where you would reinstall Windows without affecting programs and data), then everything will be accessible. This assumes that the prepared installation media is the same or a later Windows 10 release than the one you are currently using. If you do choose to remove everything (clean install), then you must back up your data and have program installers (and license keys if any) handy.
2. Reset This PC (Settings/Update and Security/Recovery): early steps will be accessible. Note that you must back up your data and prepare program installers (with license keys if any). After the system restarts, you can start Narrator to hear the reset progress.
3. Booting from physical media: be prepared to use Narrator, even if all you are going to do is "upgrade" your computer.

For some reason, I cannot access my apps, or the app store in Windows 10.
Tried multiple methods of fixing I've found but none seem to work.
Contemplating resetting the PC...Does anyone have experience with
this? Are there parts of the procedure that aren't accessible? Of
course, I anticipate that NVDA will re moved, but I know I could start
narrator. I just wasn't sure if there were any tips to keep in mind during the process.
Thanks
-Noah

Richard Villa

Kind of related. When the insiders program began, I seem to remember that there was a generic windows key that got windows 10 activated on the insiders build. I am getting a new system that I want to replace my current system staying in the insiders program, and need to get a key or am I going to have to take an image of my current system and load it on the new system?

[...]

I believe there is indeed a generic key to activate certain Windows 10 editions. Note that you can tie activation to your Microsoft Account, which you need anyway when you join Windows Insider Program (I did that last night when trying to get one of my virtual machines to recognize the fact that it is running on a NVMe SSD, ended up installing Version 21H1 just to jump to dev channel build as the latest ISO I have is 21H1).

At 05:09 PM 6/5/2021, Noah Davis wrote:
Would doing a reset from physical media be more accessible than doing
a reset from settings?
It's no more or less accessible, but installing from a removable media such as a flash drive tends to be quicker than setting from settings.

My concern is that while it is working, I may
try and start narrator at the wrong time, or somehow else, mess things
up in the process.
The hotkey to start Narrator can't harm anything during the installation, unless your control or Windows keys don't fire and you end up pressing enter on the "cancel" button. How likely is that?