Topics

Request for comments: An audio tutorial and an online meeting on what it takes to make universal apps accessible and create scripts for them

Hi all,

As Windows 10 is being deployed around the world and universal apps are gaining in prominence, I thought it would be best to create an audio tutorial that will let you hear these apps in action and to learn about how to advocate for accessibility of these apps. At the same time, I’m thinking about including some segments on creating screen reader extensions for these apps and to hold an online meeting in October regarding what we can do next in universal app accessibility advocacy.

Thus I’d like to receive comments on the following:

·         Tutorial: Dive into Windows 10, UI Automation and universal apps

·         Description: An audio tutorial on universal apps, UIA and creating screen reader extensions for them, using Windows 10 App Essentials NVDA add-on as a blueprint.

Topics:

1.       Windows 10 overview

2.       What are universal apps and a brief overview of Universal Windows Platform

3.       A crash course on UI Automation

4.       Your first app module/screen reader extension  for a UWP app

5.       Scenario 1: wrong labels for controls

6.       Scenario 2: locating controls

7.       Scenario 3: Events and custom routines

8.       Tips and recommendations to make universal apps accessible

Note that I’ll be using NVDA and Narrator for this.

Also, I’m planning to hold an online-based strategy meeting in October to go over the tutorial topics in more detail, as well as to discuss what we (screen reader users, developers and others) can do to advocate for accessibility of universal apps for months and years to come.

Comments are appreciated.

Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...>

An audio tutorial sounds great.

On 9/16/2016 10:05 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Note that this is one of the activities planned as part of Project Halo (UWP Ambassadors project), an ongoing campaign on exploring and advocating accessibility of Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps.

[...]

Shaun Oliver

Yes I would agree.

[...]

David Moore

Hi Joseph,
This really sounds great! An audio tutorial about these concepts sounds really great! I would really like to learn, develop, and advocate for these universal apps. I want to be able to use the latest apps as well as using the oldest ones. I am ready to move on and embrace the new world of win10 and using universal apps and on line apps like Google Docs and many MS programs in the cloud. Let us have a meeting about all of this, sounds great!
David Moore (win10 list moderator)

Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2016 1:34 AM

Yes I would agree.

[...]

Devin Prater