Topics

Recommendations for a new PC?

Melissa Sprouse

Hello,

First off, I apologize if this isn't the forum for asking this question or if it has already been asked here (if it has, I would appreciate if you could direct me to it).
If not, I would like a Windows 10 laptop (obviously) that works well with JAWS, which is my prefered screen reader. I've heard on other forums to avoid brands such as Lenovo and Acer but rather look at laptops manufactured by HP or Asus. What do you guys think? I'm also looking for laptops that aren't too big or too heavy, and have long, defined keys that I can easily locate with my fingers. I've also heard on those same forums you need at least an i5 CPU if you use JAWS - is that important? Or will i3 be fine? I'll also be using this laptop mainly to read books, watch videos and attend Zoom classes.

What does everybody think? Any and all suggestions will help a great deal.

Thanks,

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

I know others will chime in, but to give you some pointers and advice:

• An Intel Core I3 or AMD Ryzen 5 CPU will work well for JAWS.
  • What’s more important is the amount of RAM. These days most laptops come with at least 8 GB, and for most people, it should be adequate.
  • Any brand of laptop should work with JAWS.
  • Since you mentioned Zoom, a laptop that supports most recent Wi-Fi standard (Wi-Fi 6/IEEE 802.11ax) and a decent webcam will suffice. I mention Wi-Fi because for video conferencing, you need a stable Internet connection, especially if you intend to participate in classes.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Melissa Sprouse
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 12:55 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Recommendations for a new PC?

Hello,

First off, I apologize if this isn't the forum for asking this question or if it has already been asked here (if it has, I would appreciate if you could direct me to it).
If not, I would like a Windows 10 laptop (obviously) that works well with JAWS, which is my prefered screen reader. I've heard on other forums to avoid brands such as Lenovo and Acer but rather look at laptops manufactured by HP or Asus. What do you guys think? I'm also looking for laptops that aren't too big or too heavy, and have long, defined keys that I can easily locate with my fingers. I've also heard on those same forums you need at least an i5 CPU if you use JAWS - is that important? Or will i3 be fine? I'll also be using this laptop mainly to read books, watch videos and attend Zoom classes.

Thanks,

Melissa

Richard Kuzma

Sounds good to me.

One other thing to consider is using a usb keyboard connected to the laptop.

This way you get the benefit  of a desktop keyboard layout while using a laptop.

I hate laptop keyboards.

Just a suggestion though.

Also I use my main desktop connected to the router via a Ethernet cable and not using wireless, but that is just my preference to get top speed on it.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] Recommendations for a new PC?

Hi Melissa,

• What’s more important is the amount of RAM. These days most laptops come with at least 8 GB, and for most people, it should be adequate.
  • Since you mentioned Zoom, a laptop that supports most recent Wi-Fi standard (Wi-Fi 6/IEEE 802.11ax) and a decent webcam will suffice. I mention Wi-Fi because for video conferencing, you need a stable Internet connection, especially if you intend to participate in classes.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Melissa Sprouse

Hello,

Thanks,

Melissa

Kevin Minor

Hi.

I purchased an Asus Zenbook last March, and I’m pleased with it. For faster performance, I’d recommend a solid state drive (SSD). Also, I’d get a larger drive, because you never know what it could be used for. For my situation, I prefer WI-FI over Ethernet, because it’s more stable, and in my situation, it’s actually faster.

Have a blessed day and don’t work too hard.

Kevin, Valerie, and Jilly, the very empathic, amazing doggie

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Kuzma via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 4:46 PM

Sounds good to me.

One other thing to consider is using a usb keyboard connected to the laptop.

This way you get the benefit  of a desktop keyboard layout while using a laptop.

I hate laptop keyboards.

Just a suggestion though.

Also I use my main desktop connected to the router via a Ethernet cable and not using wireless, but that is just my preference to get top speed on it.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 4:43 PM

Hi Melissa,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hello,

Thanks,

Melissa

heather albright

Wow, I am also looking for the same thing! I gave my old laptop away to someone who needed it to stay in contact with their grand kids. So I have not bought a laptop sense  7 years ago. I also have my desktop connect directly to the modem instead of wireless connection. I like hp laptops as I know how they look. I use a logtec external keyboard. I do not like to type with my laptop on the bed so I like to use an external keyboard and have the laptop on a table. All the keyboards I used have the volume control on them above the numb pad. I had an i7 and was that thing heavy. I am going for light and easy to carry around.  I tried the surface and did not like it at all. I was hoping it would be like my ipad set up and the set up did not suit me. So I am looking for a traditional laptop that is light. So I think the HP line is the way to go. I have not decided if I want a solid state drive or not. I do not want a pc that uses both drives in the laptop.It is hard to find a laptop these days as they are always sold out as everyone is working from home and going to school at home. I did set up a mesh network so my wireless is more stable threw out the apartment. So hoping now I will be able to sit outside on the swing  and use my laptop while it is still cool. Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 3:29 PM

Hello,

Thanks,

Melissa

Monte Single

Hi,

I think the majority of laptops, these days, come with  an s s d with the operating system on it.

Also, an s s d drive is lighter than a harddrive.

As you use an external keyboard, a smaller laptop will also be lighter.

..and of course, if you pay more you can get a lighter laptop.

When you set a price, the choices get smaller too.

Cheer,

Monte

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of heather albright
Sent: January 9, 2021 5:46 PM

Wow, I am also looking for the same thing! I gave my old laptop away to someone who needed it to stay in contact with their grand kids. So I have not bought a laptop sense  7 years ago. I also have my desktop connect directly to the modem instead of wireless connection. I like hp laptops as I know how they look. I use a logtec external keyboard. I do not like to type with my laptop on the bed so I like to use an external keyboard and have the laptop on a table. All the keyboards I used have the volume control on them above the numb pad. I had an i7 and was that thing heavy. I am going for light and easy to carry around.  I tried the surface and did not like it at all. I was hoping it would be like my ipad set up and the set up did not suit me. So I am looking for a traditional laptop that is light. So I think the HP line is the way to go. I have not decided if I want a solid state drive or not. I do not want a pc that uses both drives in the laptop.It is hard to find a laptop these days as they are always sold out as everyone is working from home and going to school at home. I did set up a mesh network so my wireless is more stable threw out the apartment. So hoping now I will be able to sit outside on the swing  and use my laptop while it is still cool. Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 3:29 PM

Hello,

Thanks,

Melissa

I would look into the processor you will need to run a background on Zoom. I remember it being 2.0 GHZ minimum processor clock speed. That might have changed.

On 1/9/2021 4:42 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi Melissa,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hello,

Thanks,

Melissa

Monte Single

Saying some brands of laptops do not work well with a certain screen reader is a either a myth or misinformation.  Same goes for saying  an intle processor is better for screenreaders   than an a  m d processor.

Sent: January 9, 2021 2:55 PM

Hello,

Thanks,

Melissa

i would go with a laptop with nvme drive.
10th generation i3 will do but if you can wait a bit long the 11th
generation will be widely available.
but if you have the budget bump it to i5.
i would say go with 16gb ram but at minimum 8gb although 8gb is not
recommended but you can just may be upgrade later.

On 1/10/21, Governor staten <govsta@gmail.com> wrote:
I would look into the processor you will need to run a background on
Zoom. I remember it being 2.0 GHZ minimum processor clock speed. That
might have changed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Melissa,

* An Intel Core I3 or AMD Ryzen 5 CPU will work well for JAWS.
* What’s more important is the amount of RAM. These days most
laptops come with at least 8 GB, and for most people, it should be
adequate.
* Any brand of laptop should work with JAWS.
* Since you mentioned Zoom, a laptop that supports most recent Wi-Fi
standard (Wi-Fi 6/IEEE 802.11ax) and a decent webcam will suffice.
I mention Wi-Fi because for video conferencing, you need a stable
Internet connection, especially if you intend to participate in
classes.

Cheers,

Joseph

*From:* win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> *On Behalf Of
*Melissa Sprouse
*Sent:* Saturday, January 9, 2021 12:55 PM
*To:* win10@win10.groups.io
*Subject:* [win10] Recommendations for a new PC?

Hello,

First off, I apologize if this isn't the forum for asking this
question or if it has already been asked here (if it has, I would
appreciate if you could direct me to it).
If not, I would like a Windows 10 laptop (obviously) that works well
with JAWS, which is my prefered screen reader. I've heard on other
forums to avoid brands such as Lenovo and Acer but rather look at
laptops manufactured by HP or Asus. What do you guys think? I'm also
looking for laptops that aren't too big or too heavy, and have long,
defined keys that I can easily locate with my fingers. I've also heard
on those same forums you need at least an i5 CPU if you use JAWS - is
that important? Or will i3 be fine? I'll also be using this laptop
mainly to read books, watch videos and attend Zoom classes.

What does everybody think? Any and all suggestions will help a great
deal.

Thanks,

Melissa

--
search for me on facebook, google+, orkut..
austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Don H

Many laptops today have RAM that can not be upgraded.

On 1/9/2021 7:08 PM, Austin Pinto wrote:
i would go with a laptop with nvme drive.
10th generation i3 will do but if you can wait a bit long the 11th
generation will be widely available.
but if you have the budget bump it to i5.
i would say go with 16gb ram but at minimum 8gb although 8gb is not
recommended but you can just may be upgrade later.
On 1/10/21, Governor staten <govsta@gmail.com> wrote:
I would look into the processor you will need to run a background on
Zoom. I remember it being 2.0 GHZ minimum processor clock speed. That
might have changed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Melissa,

* An Intel Core I3 or AMD Ryzen 5 CPU will work well for JAWS.
* What’s more important is the amount of RAM. These days most
laptops come with at least 8 GB, and for most people, it should be
adequate.
* Any brand of laptop should work with JAWS.
* Since you mentioned Zoom, a laptop that supports most recent Wi-Fi
standard (Wi-Fi 6/IEEE 802.11ax) and a decent webcam will suffice.
I mention Wi-Fi because for video conferencing, you need a stable
Internet connection, especially if you intend to participate in
classes.

Cheers,

Joseph

*From:* win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> *On Behalf Of
*Melissa Sprouse
*Sent:* Saturday, January 9, 2021 12:55 PM
*To:* win10@win10.groups.io
*Subject:* [win10] Recommendations for a new PC?

Hello,

First off, I apologize if this isn't the forum for asking this
question or if it has already been asked here (if it has, I would
appreciate if you could direct me to it).
If not, I would like a Windows 10 laptop (obviously) that works well
with JAWS, which is my prefered screen reader. I've heard on other
forums to avoid brands such as Lenovo and Acer but rather look at
laptops manufactured by HP or Asus. What do you guys think? I'm also
looking for laptops that aren't too big or too heavy, and have long,
defined keys that I can easily locate with my fingers. I've also heard
on those same forums you need at least an i5 CPU if you use JAWS - is
that important? Or will i3 be fine? I'll also be using this laptop
mainly to read books, watch videos and attend Zoom classes.

What does everybody think? Any and all suggestions will help a great
deal.

Thanks,

Melissa

Melissa Sprouse

Hello,

First,I would like to thank all of you for your comments and suggestions, they were quite helpful in starting to point me towards possible choices. Please keep those suggestions and ideas coming as I haven't quite gotten a clear picture of what exactly I want to get just yet, so more suggestions and discussion could definitely help me narrow my choices down even further and eventually decide on a laptop that will fit all my needs best. I would further like to thank those of you who cleared my doubt about JAWS not working with Intel Core i3, I had been wondering about that.

Austen, could you please tell me why 8GB of RAM isn't recommended? This is the first time I'm hearing about it so I'm interested to know what your perspective is.

Thank you,

Melissa

Monte Single

Hi Melissa,

I have an 8 year old desktop withan I core 3 processor.  It has 8 gig of ddr3 ram.  I usually use nvda on it, but I also have a jaws demo installed for those rare times when a different screenreader  might be needed.

If I were buying a new machine,  I would go with a similar processor whether it was intel or a m d.

8 gig of ram is quite adequate for the average user.  You would only need more if you were  playing high end games or editing  video files.

Decide what your budget is and go from there.

My current pc  has a 6th gen I 5 processor and 8 gig of ddr4 ran.  That means it is about 5 years old.  It does  all I need to do and I am a very average user.

Sent: January 9, 2021 8:53 PM

Hello,

First,I would like to thank all of you for your comments and suggestions, they were quite helpful in starting to point me towards possible choices. Please keep those suggestions and ideas coming as I haven't quite gotten a clear picture of what exactly I want to get just yet, so more suggestions and discussion could definitely help me narrow my choices down even further and eventually decide on a laptop that will fit all my needs best. I would further like to thank those of you who cleared my doubt about JAWS not working with Intel Core i3, I had been wondering about that.

Austen, could you please tell me why 8GB of RAM isn't recommended? This is the first time I'm hearing about it so I'm interested to know what your perspective is.

Thank you,

Melissa

How many ghz's is your processor, Monte?

On 1/10/2021 12:19 AM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi Melissa,

I have an 8 year old desktop withan I core 3 processor.  It has 8 gig of ddr3 ram.  I usually use nvda on it, but I also have a jaws demo installed for those rare times when a different screenreader  might be needed.

If I were buying a new machine,  I would go with a similar processor whether it was intel or a m d.

8 gig of ram is quite adequate for the average user.  You would only need more if you were  playing high end games or editing  video files.

My current pc  has a 6th gen I 5 processor and 8 gig of ddr4 ran.  That means it is about 5 years old.  It does  all I need to do and I am a very average user.

Hello,

Thank you,

Melissa

Monte Single

Hi Governor staten,

I think the 6th gen Icore 5 processor  in this 5 year old h p desktop is 3.0. gigahertz clock speed.

I’m not sure of the exact number as it may vary depending on what’s happening on the machine.

Are you the governor of staton island?

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: January 10, 2021 12:40 AM

Hi Melissa,

Hello,

Thank you,

Melissa

To your question, nope. :)

I got a Dell Inspiron 7370. It has 8 cores, but, only 1.6 ghz. Won't buy something like this again.

On 1/10/2021 1:56 AM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi Governor staten,

I think the 6th gen Icore 5 processor  in this 5 year old h p desktop is 3.0. gigahertz clock speed.

I’m not sure of the exact number as it may vary depending on what’s happening on the machine.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Governor staten

Hi Melissa,

Hello,

Thank you,

Melissa

Hi,

Actually, if a processor has eight cores (or four cores with eight threads active), 1.6 GHz is a decent speed. The more cores a processor ships with, the more power it will use, translating to lower initial clock frequency. What’s more important is how fast a single core can process things, which can be in the range of 4 gigahertz for more recent processors.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 10:59 PM

To your question, nope. :)

I got a Dell Inspiron 7370. It has 8 cores, but, only 1.6 ghz. Won't buy something like this again.

On 1/10/2021 1:56 AM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi Governor staten,

Hi Melissa,

Hello,

Thank you,

Melissa

valiant8086

Hi.

I3 will be fine. I have a 6th gen i3 system that is very responsive. It does get a little sluggish doing certain things but it is plenty fast enough to do what ever you want. You get i5 or i7 if you want really responsive and really fast, but meanwhile i3 isn't slow. It's like fast, faster and holy that's fast.

I personally use and like Lenovo except that my current Lenovo is a bit of a Lemon. I consider this a corner case though. If you do go for Lenovo, try to get a Thinkpad. Their keyboards are largely consistent in design, and usually follow the design you requested. Some of the lenovo sound cards go to sleep in a way that is particularly annoying for screen readers. If this happens you should be able to get it to let you run the microsoft hd audio driver or, if not, silenzio will do the trick, as will virtual audio cable, you can ask for instructions on that when needed.

Other than that though, Asus is excellent but to keep something in mind, none of the 13 inch Asus Zenbook models that have just released with the 11th gen processors yet have a headphone jack. At least some of the 14 inch Zenbooks also don't. Some of the Asus models have home, end, page up and page down on the function key row, which means if you turn fn key lock on so that the function keys are function keys by default, you then have to press fn and a button on the number row any time you want to go home, end, page up or page down, let alone any additional modifiers for screen reader commands. You'll need to do your research, but at the very least, asus appears to be using audio implementation that is pretty non obtrusive.

I personally don't like hp because I failed hinges on two completely different hp units right in a row, but if you get an hp two in one convertible you'll probably get cold metal hinges that should be tougher. At least some hp units also have the audio driver issue similar to some Lenovo models though, and hp has some strange ideas about their keyboards, for instance a fingerprint reader where one of the control keys should have been. I do believe modern hp laptops won't include a context key so you have to hit shift+f10 or shift+fn+f10. Lenovo doesn't either, but Thinkpads have a key between right alt and right control that is print screen, you can remap that using the free portable sharp keys program to a context key, which makes sense as that is where context key should be and print screen can be accomplished via other key combinations. Asus lets you press fn+right control for the context key.

Once you start finding specific models you think you might like, feel free to ask for feedback

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com
On 1/9/2021 3:55 PM, Melissa Sprouse wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Melissa

Melissa Sprouse

Hello,

Thank you for your incredibly comprehensive explanation, that definitely helped! I'd also like to thank you for your willingness to help me out in this further, should I need it. Really appreciate it! :')