Topics

Recommendations for a new PC?

Melissa Sprouse

Hello,

First off, I apologize if this isn't the forum for asking this question or if it has already been asked here (if it has, I would appreciate if you could direct me to it).
If not, I would like a Windows 10 laptop (obviously) that works well with JAWS, which is my prefered screen reader. I've heard on other forums to avoid brands such as Lenovo and Acer but rather look at laptops manufactured by HP or Asus. What do you guys think? I'm also looking for laptops that aren't too big or too heavy, and have long, defined keys that I can easily locate with my fingers. I've also heard on those same forums you need at least an i5 CPU if you use JAWS - is that important? Or will i3 be fine? I'll also be using this laptop mainly to read books, watch videos and attend Zoom classes.

What does everybody think? Any and all suggestions will help a great deal.

Thanks,

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

I know others will chime in, but to give you some pointers and advice:

  • An Intel Core I3 or AMD Ryzen 5 CPU will work well for JAWS.
  • What’s more important is the amount of RAM. These days most laptops come with at least 8 GB, and for most people, it should be adequate.
  • Any brand of laptop should work with JAWS.
  • Since you mentioned Zoom, a laptop that supports most recent Wi-Fi standard (Wi-Fi 6/IEEE 802.11ax) and a decent webcam will suffice. I mention Wi-Fi because for video conferencing, you need a stable Internet connection, especially if you intend to participate in classes.

[...]

Richard Kuzma

Sounds good to me.

One other thing to consider is using a usb keyboard connected to the laptop.

This way you get the benefit  of a desktop keyboard layout while using a laptop.

I hate laptop keyboards.

Just a suggestion though.

Also I use my main desktop connected to the router via a Ethernet cable and not using wireless, but that is just my preference to get top speed on it.

[...]

Kevin Minor

Hi.

I purchased an Asus Zenbook last March, and I’m pleased with it. For faster performance, I’d recommend a solid state drive (SSD). Also, I’d get a larger drive, because you never know what it could be used for. For my situation, I prefer WI-FI over Ethernet, because it’s more stable, and in my situation, it’s actually faster.

Have a blessed day and don’t work too hard.

Kevin, Valerie, and Jilly, the very empathic, amazing doggie

[...]

heather albright

Wow, I am also looking for the same thing! I gave my old laptop away to someone who needed it to stay in contact with their grand kids. So I have not bought a laptop sense  7 years ago. I also have my desktop connect directly to the modem instead of wireless connection. I like hp laptops as I know how they look. I use a logtec external keyboard. I do not like to type with my laptop on the bed so I like to use an external keyboard and have the laptop on a table. All the keyboards I used have the volume control on them above the numb pad. I had an i7 and was that thing heavy. I am going for light and easy to carry around.  I tried the surface and did not like it at all. I was hoping it would be like my ipad set up and the set up did not suit me. So I am looking for a traditional laptop that is light. So I think the HP line is the way to go. I have not decided if I want a solid state drive or not. I do not want a pc that uses both drives in the laptop.It is hard to find a laptop these days as they are always sold out as everyone is working from home and going to school at home. I did set up a mesh network so my wireless is more stable threw out the apartment. So hoping now I will be able to sit outside on the swing  and use my laptop while it is still cool. Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Monte Single

Hi,

I think the majority of laptops, these days, come with  an s s d with the operating system on it.

Also, an s s d drive is lighter than a harddrive.

As you use an external keyboard, a smaller laptop will also be lighter.

..and of course, if you pay more you can get a lighter laptop.

When you set a price, the choices get smaller too.

Cheer,

Monte

[...]

I would look into the processor you will need to run a background on Zoom. I remember it being 2.0 GHZ minimum processor clock speed. That might have changed.

On 1/9/2021 4:42 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Saying some brands of laptops do not work well with a certain screen reader is a either a myth or misinformation.  Same goes for saying  an intle processor is better for screenreaders   than an a  m d processor.