Topics

re how to change the media function keys to regular f function keys on windows 10 home on a laptop in windows 10 home with a screenreader like narrator or NVDA

g melconian

Hello I don’t know how I got some kind of  update on  an old Toshiba laptop on windows 10 and my function keys  have reverted back to media function keys  instead of the regular f function keys.how do I fix this with a screenreader  like narrator or NVDA. Please ccan some one helhlp me out in reverting   the process back from the media function keys to  the regular f function keys.

Kevin Minor

Hi.

I can’t guarantee this will work, but try pressing FN+ESC together. It worked for me, but I have a different brand of laptop. If it doesn’t work, you might try your laptop’s web site for software to change the function keys.

Hope this helps.

Kevin and Jilly

Hello I don’t know how I got some kind of  update on  an old Toshiba laptop on windows 10 and my function keys  have reverted back to media function keys  instead of the regular f function keys.how do I fix this with a screenreader  like narrator or NVDA. Please ccan some one helhlp me out in reverting   the process back from the media function keys to  the regular f function keys.

g melconian

How many times , do you do that process of fn an escape .i did not see anything happen.

I can’t guarantee this will work, but try pressing FN+ESC together. It worked for me, but I have a different brand of laptop. If it doesn’t work, you might try your laptop’s web site for software to change the function keys.

Hope this helps.

Kevin and Jilly

Hello I don’t know how I got some kind of  update on  an old Toshiba laptop on windows 10 and my function keys  have reverted back to media function keys  instead of the regular f function keys.how do I fix this with a screenreader  like narrator or NVDA. Please ccan some one helhlp me out in reverting   the process back from the media function keys to  the regular f function keys.

Micallef Michael at FITA

Hi suppose to fix that you need to have some sighted assistant because you can change a particular setting from the bios so the function keys will become a fully regular function keys.

How many times , do you do that process of fn an escape .i did not see anything happen.

I can’t guarantee this will work, but try pressing FN+ESC together. It worked for me, but I have a different brand of laptop. If it doesn’t work, you might try your laptop’s web site for software to change the function keys.

Hope this helps.

Kevin and Jilly

Hello I don’t know how I got some kind of  update on  an old Toshiba laptop on windows 10 and my function keys  have reverted back to media function keys  instead of the regular f function keys.how do I fix this with a screenreader  like narrator or NVDA. Please ccan some one helhlp me out in reverting   the process back from the media function keys to  the regular f function keys.

chris judge

Another keystroke that works on some brands is the FN key plus the left shift key.

Chris Judge

JAWS Certified, 2020

I can’t guarantee this will work, but try pressing FN+ESC together. It worked for me, but I have a different brand of laptop. If it doesn’t work, you might try your laptop’s web site for software to change the function keys.

Hope this helps.

Kevin and Jilly

Hello I don’t know how I got some kind of  update on  an old Toshiba laptop on windows 10 and my function keys  have reverted back to media function keys  instead of the regular f function keys.how do I fix this with a screenreader  like narrator or NVDA. Please ccan some one helhlp me out in reverting   the process back from the media function keys to  the regular f function keys.

chris judge

It doesn’t report anything when you do it, so do it once and see if it worked by performing an action such as attempting to close a program with AltF4.

Chris Judge

JAWS Certified, 2020

How many times , do you do that process of fn an escape .i did not see anything happen.

I can’t guarantee this will work, but try pressing FN+ESC together. It worked for me, but I have a different brand of laptop. If it doesn’t work, you might try your laptop’s web site for software to change the function keys.

Hope this helps.

Kevin and Jilly

Hello I don’t know how I got some kind of  update on  an old Toshiba laptop on windows 10 and my function keys  have reverted back to media function keys  instead of the regular f function keys.how do I fix this with a screenreader  like narrator or NVDA. Please ccan some one helhlp me out in reverting   the process back from the media function keys to  the regular f function keys.

Kevin Minor

Hi.

Just do it one time. On my laptop it’s a toggle. As I said, it might not work on yours. I really wish all manufacturers did the same thing to resolve this issue. Sighted also would appreciate it.

Kevin and Jilly