Topics

re how to change the media function keys to regular f function keys on windows 10 home on a laptop in windows 10 home with a screenreader like narrator or NVDA

g melconian

Hello I don’t know how I got some kind of  update on  an old Toshiba laptop on windows 10 and my function keys  have reverted back to media function keys  instead of the regular f function keys.how do I fix this with a screenreader  like narrator or NVDA. Please ccan some one helhlp me out in reverting   the process back from the media function keys to  the regular f function keys.

Kevin Minor

Hi.

I can’t guarantee this will work, but try pressing FN+ESC together. It worked for me, but I have a different brand of laptop. If it doesn’t work, you might try your laptop’s web site for software to change the function keys.

Hope this helps.

Kevin and Jilly

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of g melconian
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 12:28 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] re how to change the media function keys to regular f function keys on windows 10 home on a laptop in windows 10 home with a screenreader like narrator or NVDA

Hello I don’t know how I got some kind of  update on  an old Toshiba laptop on windows 10 and my function keys  have reverted back to media function keys  instead of the regular f function keys.how do I fix this with a screenreader  like narrator or NVDA. Please ccan some one helhlp me out in reverting   the process back from the media function keys to  the regular f function keys.

g melconian

How many times , do you do that process of fn an escape .i did not see anything happen. 

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Minor
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2020 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] re how to change the media function keys to regular f function keys on windows 10 home on a laptop in windows 10 home with a screenreader like narrator or NVDA

Hi.

I can’t guarantee this will work, but try pressing FN+ESC together. It worked for me, but I have a different brand of laptop. If it doesn’t work, you might try your laptop’s web site for software to change the function keys.

Hope this helps.

Kevin and Jilly

Subject: [win10] re how to change the media function keys to regular f function keys on windows 10 home on a laptop in windows 10 home with a screenreader like narrator or NVDA

Micallef Michael at FITA

Hi suppose to fix that you need to have some sighted assistant because you can change a particular setting from the bios so the function keys will become a fully regular function keys.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of g melconian via groups.io
Sent: Monday, 28 September 2020 6:55
Subject: [EXTERNAL] - Re: [win10] re how to change the media function keys to regular f function keys on windows 10 home on a laptop in windows 10 home with a screenreader like narrator or NVDA

How many times , do you do that process of fn an escape .i did not see anything happen. 

Subject: Re: [win10] re how to change the media function keys to regular f function keys on windows 10 home on a laptop in windows 10 home with a screenreader like narrator or NVDA

Hi.

Hope this helps.

Kevin and Jilly

chris judge

Another keystroke that works on some brands is the FN key plus the left shift key.

Chris Judge

JAWS Certified, 2020

Sent: September 28, 2020 1:49 AM

Hi.

Hope this helps.

Kevin and Jilly

chris judge

It doesn’t report anything when you do it, so do it once and see if it worked by performing an action such as attempting to close a program with AltF4.

Chris Judge

JAWS Certified, 2020

Sent: September 28, 2020 1:55 AM

Hi.

Hope this helps.

Kevin and Jilly

Kevin Minor

Hi.

Just do it one time. On my laptop it’s a toggle. As I said, it might not work on yours. I really wish all manufacturers did the same thing to resolve this issue. Sighted also would appreciate it.

Kevin and Jilly

Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 12:55 AM

Hi.

Hope this helps.

Kevin and Jilly

Not knowing the model of the laptop it's impossible to give specific directions.  See this webpage:  https://www.fixkb.com/2013/09/how-to-change-the-function-keys-mode-toshiba.html 

There are some Toshiba models on which the HWSETUP utility can be used to do this from within Windows itself.  If that does not work (and you may have to download it from https://emea.dynabook.com/support/drivers/, Toshiba sold its laptop business and the company now producing same and who inherited Toshiba support is Dynabook) then it's a BIOS only option and you'll need sighted help, as there is no screen reader support in BIOS since the operating system is not running when dealing with BIOS.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

harshad solanki

If you are using dell laptop, it can be changed via windows mobility
center after installing quickset application available on dell site.

On 28/09/2020, Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:
Not knowing the model of the laptop it's impossible to give specific
directions.  See this webpage:
https://www.fixkb.com/2013/09/how-to-change-the-function-keys-mode-toshiba.html

There are some Toshiba models on which the HWSETUP utility can be used to do
this from within Windows itself.  If that does not work (and you may have to
download it from https://emea.dynabook.com/support/drivers/, Toshiba sold
its laptop business and the company now producing same and who inherited
Toshiba support is Dynabook) then it's a BIOS only option and you'll need
sighted help, as there is no screen reader support in BIOS since the
operating system is not running when dealing with BIOS.
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

*A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.*

~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

It is different on different models and sometimes makes of laptops.

Sent: 28 September 2020 05:28

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

tim

You will have to look it up for your model of Toshiba laptop, because the different models deal with them in many different ways.
Lenovo does this very well with fn+exc key as a toggle.
My Toshiba netbook had to be done from the bios.

On 9/28/2020 12:28 AM, g melconian wrote:
Hello I don't know how I got some kind of update on an old Toshiba laptop
on windows 10 and my function keys have reverted back to media function
keys instead of the regular f function keys.how do I fix this with a
screenreader like narrator or NVDA. Please ccan some one helhlp me out in
reverting the process back from the media function keys to the regular f
function keys.

g melconian

I am suspecting the same thing. I just plugged in an external USB keyboard
, for the time being and that has been the temporary solution. Till I can
get some sighted ot help me get into the bios to fix it. Since this is an
old laptop.if I was to get a newer laptop will it also do the same or not
as far as the function keys acting as the media key and vise versa . If
so , then can I get a recommendation for a laptop that wont do that.

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of tim
Sent: Thursday, October 1, 2020 10:35 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] re how to change the media function keys to regular f
function keys on windows 10 home on a laptop in windows 10 home with a
screenreader like narrator or NVDA

You will have to look it up for your model of Toshiba laptop, because the
different models deal with them in many different ways.

Hello I don't know how I got some kind of update on an old Toshiba
laptop
reverting the process back from the media function keys to the regular
f
function keys.

Loy

With my new HP laptop the function keys were media keys as the default. I
had to get sighted help to go into BIOS and change this.

----- Original Message -----
To: <win10@win10.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, October 2, 2020 1:47 AM

I am suspecting the same thing. I just plugged in an external USB keyboard
, for the time being and that has been the temporary solution. Till I can
get some sighted ot help me get into the bios to fix it. Since this is an
old laptop.if I was to get a newer laptop will it also do the same or not
as far as the function keys acting as the media key and vise versa . If
so , then can I get a recommendation for a laptop that wont do that.

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of tim
Sent: Thursday, October 1, 2020 10:35 PM

You will have to look it up for your model of Toshiba laptop, because the
different models deal with them in many different ways.

Hello I don't know how I got some kind of update on an old Toshiba
laptop
reverting the process back from the media function keys to the regular
f
function keys.

valiant8086

Hi.

Toshiba you may have a Toshiba HW utility, that feature should be available therein. Look for hw utility in the start menu.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com