From: Madison Martin
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2021 9:07 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] quick question about Narrator

Hi all,

Can someone please tell me how to start Narrator? Just want to figure out if

something is a Jaws issue or a keyboard issue. Thanks Madison

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 12:12 PM, Kevin wrote:

the current build of windows 10 you start narrator  with keys Ctrl+windows key+enter

-
And you can turn it off, if it is on, with that same set of keystrokes, too.

If you've not invoked Narrator before the first time you do you will be presented with a "tour of narrator" dialog, called Narrator Home, which you can simply dismiss, or check the checkbox to never show it again, and then dismiss it.

Other bits about Narrator can be found in Settings, Ease of Access, Narrator Pane.  It's worth taking a look there as you can configure certain things, such as turning off Narrator Home among other things, about its behavior.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Madison Martin

Okay, all I want to do is press a couple of keys that don’t seem to work with Jaws, can I do this with Narrator?

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 12:12 PM, Kevin wrote:

the current build of windows 10 you start narrator  with keys Ctrl+windows key+enter

-
And you can turn it off, if it is on, with that same set of keystrokes, too.

If you've not invoked Narrator before the first time you do you will be presented with a "tour of narrator" dialog, called Narrator Home, which you can simply dismiss, or check the checkbox to never show it again, and then dismiss it.

Other bits about Narrator can be found in Settings, Ease of Access, Narrator Pane.  It's worth taking a look there as you can configure certain things, such as turning off Narrator Home among other things, about its behavior.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

JM Casey

Hey madison.

Press some keys?

If I understand correctly – have you tried the JAWS key pass through command to do this?

Jaws key + 3.

[...]

I want to see if these keys work properly using a different screen reader.

[...]

Marci Duty

Which keys? If the keys perform a Windows command, they will work no matter which screen reader you are using. If the keys perform specific screen reader commands then they will require the particular screen reader for them to work. The same is true of keyboard commands specific to programs.

For example, the command Windows M is a Windows command. It works in JAWS, NVDA and Narrator and minimizes all open windows and brings the focus to the desktop. Because this is a Windows command, no screen reader is required. A sighted Windows user can use this key combination. Which commands are you asking about?

Marci Duty

Email: marci.smiles@...

Phone: (214) 732-5788

Isaiah 30

15  For this is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah, the Holy One of Israel, says:

“By returning to me and resting, you will be saved;

Your strength will be in keeping calm and showing trust.”

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 01:36 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
I want to see if these keys work properly using a different screen reader.
-
I'm sorry, but that's just incredibly vague.

If they're for a Windows command, they should.  If they're for a command in the program being run, it's entirely possible they might work when one screen reader is running versus another, since scripts and add-ons can cause the screen reader to capture keystrokes that might otherwise be passed through to the program.

As JM has already mentioned, issuing the JAWS pass-through command before entering the key sequence in question, if you expect the program you're accessing to handle it, may give you your answer.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Madison Martin

My insert key, whenever I press it Jaws says alt windows q not insert.

[...]

Oh yes. You have a long history of weird keyboard issue threads.

Did you ever try plugging in an external keyboard to your laptop?

[...]

No, but that’s because don’t have any, all the ones we have are Bluetooth, and it seems silly to go out and buy one when there’s no guarantee that it’ll solve the problem.

[...]

Hi,

Sounds like a keyboard software or hardware issue. Does this happen whenever you restart your computer and/or JAWS? One way to test this is:

  1. Restart your computer.
  2. Start Narrator.
  3. Press Insert+F12 to hear current time and date.
  4. Exit Narrator.

If you do hear current time and date, then it might be something to do with JAWS. If Narrator says something else, then it is highly likely that something odd is happening with either the keyboard hardware or software (keyboard driver, input method in use, etc.). One definite way to see if it is hardware is performing JAWS commands from a different keyboard, and if JAWS performs what you want, then it might be something with the original keyboard.

To clarify what members wrote about keyboard commands: you can’t use screen reader A commands while screen reader B is activated later because the latter will process keyboard commands (think of it as a box where you can only see what’s on top of the lid). It gets messy when two or more screen readers say they want to use a particular key as their modifier.

[...]

Interesting behavior from your keyboard. How many times have you restarted your computer?

I can remember fixing a keyboard challenge like this one by quickly and repeatedly pressing my keyboard’s two alt keys. Press the left alt for one and the right alt for two and the left alt for three. Continue this process until you get to twenty and then check the behavior of your insert key. . This process fixed this challenge for me. A restart of the computer should fix your challenge as well. Repeatedly press the alt keys if your insert key continues to behave strangely after the restart.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

[...]

Hmm..yeah..always good to have extra keyboards lying around though. You just enver know. There are cheap generic uSB keyboards that you can find in office supply places, etc. Places like valu Village will also sell cheap keyboards 9I remember you’re Canadian and we at least have those here in Toronto) – but you could try any other thrift type store as well. Alternatively, walk into the nearest abandon office building and see if you can rifle through drawers until you find a random keyboard.

Ok I’m mostly kidding on that last one … mostly :P

[...]

Madison has been having this problem for months.

[...]

Thanks for the idea Josiph, however it sadly didn’t make any difference.

[...]

Even when you press “Insert”+F12 while Narrator is active?

If I’m understanding what others are saying about your situation, then it is likely that it could be something going on with how Windows is interpreting keyboard input, specifically communication between the keyboard, Bluetooth stack, and how input data is sent to screen readers. Can you tell us the keyboard brand and model you have so others can chime in and/or direct you to a more appropriate place where folks can suggest something?

As a way to diagnose the keyboard issue, try using your keyboard with other devices such as another computer or a mobile device, and try with wired keyboards.

[...]

What keyboard model is she using?

[...]

Madison can answer that one, but I think it’s a laptop’s internal keyboard. It could be a driver/software thing as Joseph has suggested but it actually sounds a little bit like a short, to me. They can cause weird things like this to happen, where pressing a key seems to engage other keys instead.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 02:16 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
and it seems silly to go out and buy one when there’s no guarantee that it’ll solve the problem.
-
Given how cheap a USB keyboard is, and the amount of trouble you've been having, I'd say precisely the opposite.

A wonky keyboard, which you may have, is a screen reader user's biggest nightmare.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)