Topics

Questions about the Microsoft Surface Pro 7.

Arianna Sepulveda

Hello,

I'm looking to get a new laptop, since my poor Lenovo ThinkPad T450S that I bought in 2015 is really starting to show its age. I've been looking into Microsoft's Surface line, particularly the Surface Pro. I like that it's so thin and light. I went to Best Buy to take a look at some computers, and I think I could work with the Surface Pro 7, but I have some questions about the keyboard and about using it on your lap.

It took me forever, but I finally have some partial answers. I'm wondering if you lock the F-keys (on the newer Surface keyboard) by holding down the FN key for 15 seconds, will this locked state still hold between restarts and hibernations? Also, if the FN key is locked, does this mean I will have to unlock it to use the arrows as normal, since you have to use the arrows with FN to get home, end, page up, and page down? What I'd really like, and I can do this on my Lenovo, is a way to make it so that the F-keys acted as regular F-keys when pressed without any other keys, but became multimedia keys when pressed with FN. By default on my ThinkPad, this is reversed, so that by themselves, the F-keys act as multimedia keys, and only act as regular F-keys when pressed along with the FN key. Of course, my ThinkPad does have dedicated home, end, page up, and page down keys, so this is less of an issue. My worry is that if I did find some way to do this, reversing the way the F-keys work, I mean, that it would also apply to the home, end, page up, and page down keys. I'd rather have to use the FN key to access those functions, since I use them less than I do the actual arrow keys. I would prefer not to have to keep locking and unlocking the FN key. I'd also like to have use of the multimedia keys when I wanted, though this is not as critical. The only ones I've really used on my ThinkPad are the screen brightness controls, since I use Winamp for playing any music or audiobooks, and that already has playback controls.

I'd also like to know how well people have liked using the Surface on their lap. I've heard so many mixed oppinions about this on-line. Thank God Best Buy has a 15-day return window with no restocking fee.

Sorry for all the crazy questions. I really want the Surface to work. I like how light and portable it is, and I'm really hoping it can work for me.

Thanks,
Ari

matthew dyer

Hi,

I have had my surface for sevrel months and use my braille note as a braille display and that seems to work. I did order a Logitech k 480 and as of now still waiting for it to come from amazon. I can not comment on the keyboard as the cover case I never got to work. It is a nice machine and you very light so you should be fine.

Matthew