Topics

Prefetch

Dave Grossoehme

People used to empty there prefetch files.  If you are trying to gain more space in your disc, is this wise?  Will you cause a problem in Windows 10, 2004 or not?

Dave

Bill White

I wouldn't do this now, unless you are at a critical point for your disk being full. It doesn't give you that much space, and it will slow down your running of apps.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Grossoehme
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 3:34 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Prefetch

People used to empty there prefetch files. If you are trying to gain
more space in your disc, is this wise? Will you cause a problem in
Windows 10, 2004 or not?

Dave

JM Casey

I don't think you'd reallys ave much space, but you wouldn't break anything by removing prefetch. It's just meant to speed up application load times.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Grossoehme
Sent: July 31, 2020 6:34 PM

People used to empty there prefetch files. If you are trying to gain more space in your disc, is this wise? Will you cause a problem in Windows 10, 2004 or not?

Dave

Dave Grossoehme

Good Evening Bill:  I can't update because I'm receiving an error that my disc doesn't have enough space.  I have done about everything that I can think of except moving my documents to another drive.  Unfortunately I don't have a portable drive sitting around right now.  I have gone as far as removing applications until this problem is solved.  I even went so far as emptying the Windows Temp files, which still doesn't give enough space.  Thanks for the quick response.  I did a disk clean up. However, I am questioning the install of what every version of C Cleaner and see if it will show anything else that I haven't found yet.  What is your thought on this?

Dave

On 7/31/2020 3:36 PM, Bill White wrote:
I wouldn't do this now, unless you are at a critical point for your disk being full. It doesn't give you that much space, and it will slow down your running of apps.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Grossoehme

Windows 10, 2004 or not?

Dave

I use ccleaner slim.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Grossoehme
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] Prefetch

Good Evening Bill: I can't update because I'm receiving an error that my disc doesn't have enough space. I have done about everything that I can think of except moving my documents to another drive. Unfortunately I don't have a portable drive sitting around right now. I have gone as far as removing applications until this problem is solved. I even went so far as emptying the Windows Temp files, which still doesn't give enough space. Thanks for the quick response. I did a disk clean up.
However, I am questioning the install of what every version of C Cleaner and see if it will show anything else that I haven't found yet. What is your thought on this?

Dave

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf
Of Dave Grossoehme

Windows 10, 2004 or not?

Dave

JM Casey

Have you tried running disk cleanup with the "clean up system files" option? You'll then be able to see some other categories of files that might be taking up a considerable amount of space.

Sent: July 31, 2020 9:35 PM

Good Evening Bill: I can't update because I'm receiving an error that my disc doesn't have enough space. I have done about everything that I can think of except moving my documents to another drive. Unfortunately I don't have a portable drive sitting around right now. I have gone as far as removing applications until this problem is solved. I even went so far as emptying the Windows Temp files, which still doesn't give enough space. Thanks for the quick response. I did a disk clean up.
However, I am questioning the install of what every version of C Cleaner and see if it will show anything else that I haven't found yet. What is your thought on this?

Dave

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf
Of Dave Grossoehme

Windows 10, 2004 or not?

Dave

Bill White

Hi, Dave. You could try cCleaner, but unless you have a lot of Windows files from old builds hanging around on your system, I don't think you'll get much space. With the removal of files from older Windows versions, you may get a few gigabytes.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 6:35 PM

Good Evening Bill: I can't update because I'm receiving an error that
my disc doesn't have enough space. I have done about everything that I
can think of except moving my documents to another drive. Unfortunately
I don't have a portable drive sitting around right now. I have gone as
far as removing applications until this problem is solved. I even went
so far as emptying the Windows Temp files, which still doesn't give
enough space. Thanks for the quick response. I did a disk clean up.
However, I am questioning the install of what every version of C Cleaner
and see if it will show anything else that I haven't found yet. What is
your thought on this?

Dave

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

Windows 10, 2004 or not?

Dave