Topics

Possible Problem With Cumulative Update (KB5000842)

Mike B

Hi All,

Running 20H2 19042.906 and Jaws.  When I go to the Jaws task list, Insert + F10, I'm showing this entry,

Microsoft® Windows® Operating System On Top

I didn't have this showing until this latest cumulative update, KB5000842.  This latest update seems to also stopped my computer from booting to the desktop, and Speak Dropbox doesn't communicate with Dropbox either after this update.  How do I stop the entry,

Microsoft® Windows® Operating System On Top

from appearing in the Jaws task list?  Also, how do I remove the,

2021-03 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5000842)

update?  I can find this update in update history, but I can't find an Uninstall option.  All help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Bill White

Hi, Mike. I'm running the same build and version of Windows, and I don't show this window when I perform the keystroke INSERT plus F10 with JAWS.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Running 20H2 19042.906 and Jaws.  When I go to the Jaws task list, Insert + F10, I'm showing this entry,

Microsoft® Windows® Operating System On Top

I didn't have this showing until this latest cumulative update, KB5000842.  This latest update seems to also stopped my computer from booting to the desktop, and Speak Dropbox doesn't communicate with Dropbox either after this update.  How do I stop the entry,

Microsoft® Windows® Operating System On Top

from appearing in the Jaws task list?  Also, how do I remove the,

2021-03 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5000842)

update?  I can find this update in update history, but I can't find an Uninstall option.  All help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Holly

Mike:

I also have the Microsoft message in my Window list dialog  box when pressing insert plus F 10.  It has been there for awhile, but can’t remember just how long.

Hi,

What happens when you press Enter on the new icon? Personally I won’t worry too much about it.

I also have the Microsoft message in my Window list dialog  box when pressing insert plus F 10.  It has been there for awhile, but can’t remember just how long.

Louise Pfau

I’ve got this icon as well as lots of other Windows-related icons in my JAWS task list.  Many of them have multiple instances, and all of them are listed as “on top”.  They’ve been listed this way since I got my Windows 10 machine, and I don’t remember my Windows 7 machine listing them.  I’m running Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867) with JAWS 16.0.4474.

Louise

Holly

Joseph:

When I enter on the Microsoft message, in the Windows list dialog box, I get sent to the task bar.

I have never worried about this issue until Mike mentioned it.  It just seems to be there and not causing any trouble.

Hi,

I see.

I personally tend to favor using Windows+Tab (Task View) or Control+Alt+Tab (Task Switching) to list top-level windows. Not only it is laid out like a table (so you can easily find out how many windows are open by looking at row and column position), it works across screen readers. I think this issue also demonstrates that, at least in Windows 10 world, you may wish to look into changes more carefully.

When I enter on the Microsoft message, in the Windows list dialog box, I get sent to the task bar.

I have never worried about this issue until Mike mentioned it.  It just seems to be there and not causing any trouble.

Holly

Joseph:

Thanks for the tip.    Always nice to be able to have knowledge of several ways to accomplish a task.

Mike B

You're getting all those things showing in the Jaws task list because you're running Jaws16.  If you were running any Jaws version, Jaws18 or above, you wouldn't get all that stuff in the Jaws task list.  I know this for a fact because I have Jaws16 latest installed to use for a certain select program and when I run Jaws16 is the only time all that stuff shows.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.