Topics

Now where to I go download and install the free Jaws offering: Found it, now getting 504 gateway time out

Larry Higgins
 

Well listers, my luck, this will probably be a no-brainer, but after registering on the FS portal site for the free offering of JAWS, I cannot find a download option, even after signing back in to my account. Please, where do I go?


Now, this for me is a rather interesting turn of events, because I was, believe it or not, planning to subscribe to the annual licensing program this very day.


Any quick help with this will certainly be greatly appreciated.


Sincerely,


Larry

Larry Higgins
 

OK, found the button, and started the download. Getting 504 Gateway timeout. Hope all isn't lost <smile>. I knew all I would have to do was ask, and my answer would turn up after trying the button option in my browser. Sheesh!, didn't see, or hear that one.

On 3/24/2020 9:24 AM, Larry Higgins via Groups.Io wrote:
Well listers, my luck, this will probably be a no-brainer, but after registering on the FS portal site for the free offering of JAWS, I cannot find a download option, even after signing back in to my account. Please, where do I go?


Now, this for me is a rather interesting turn of events, because I was, believe it or not, planning to subscribe to the annual licensing program this very day.


Any quick help with this will certainly be greatly appreciated.


Sincerely,


Larry



Gerald Levy
 

To download JAWS 2020, visit the following site.  Once you have successfully installed it, go to the update activation dialog under the license submenu on the JAWS help menu, and go through each step to activate your copy of JAWS:


https://support.freedomscientific.com/Downloads/JAWS


Gerald

On 3/24/2020 10:24 AM, Larry Higgins wrote:
Well listers, my luck, this will probably be a no-brainer, but after registering on the FS portal site for the free offering of JAWS, I cannot find a download option, even after signing back in to my account. Please, where do I go?


Now, this for me is a rather interesting turn of events, because I was, believe it or not, planning to subscribe to the annual licensing program this very day.


Any quick help with this will certainly be greatly appreciated.


Sincerely,


Larry




 

Gateway Timeouts generally indicate there's network congestion at the server you're trying to reach.  Given that there are probably a very great many people trying to take advantage of Vispero's offer of a 3-month-ish free license for JAWS, Fusion, or ZoomText their server(s) are likely overwhelmed at specific times.

Just try again later.  If it keeps up during the day, then I'd try at night.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

This country has socialism for the rich, rugged individualism for the poor.

       ~ Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Larry Higgins
 

Well Gerald, After using that link, I ended up with the professional version and a validation key is demanded. Something tells me that this might be what I was looking for. I do have the choise of demo mode, but no thanks. Guess I'll have to uninstall, and attempt the free offer again, using the portal. What a mess.

On 3/24/2020 9:47 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

To download JAWS 2020, visit the following site.  Once you have successfully installed it, go to the update activation dialog under the license submenu on the JAWS help menu, and go through each step to activate your copy of JAWS:


https://support.freedomscientific.com/Downloads/JAWS


Gerald



On 3/24/2020 10:24 AM, Larry Higgins wrote:
Well listers, my luck, this will probably be a no-brainer, but after registering on the FS portal site for the free offering of JAWS, I cannot find a download option, even after signing back in to my account. Please, where do I go?


Now, this for me is a rather interesting turn of events, because I was, believe it or not, planning to subscribe to the annual licensing program this very day.


Any quick help with this will certainly be greatly appreciated.


Sincerely,


Larry






 

And I can unequivocally confirm that you do not, that is NOT, need to download the JAWS installer at all.  The activation program you get under the free offer pops up with three options, "Install and Activate," "Activate Only (or something similar), and Cancel.   Choosing the first option causes the JAWS installer to be fetched.

I uninstalled JAWS 2019, which is what I had on my system for occasional use in 40-minute mode, along with all other bits associated with Freedom Scientific, before running the Activation program that FS provided via download.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

This country has socialism for the rich, rugged individualism for the poor.

       ~ Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Larry Higgins
 

OK Brian, ready to get started starting over again.


Does JAWS have it's own uninstaller, or can I do this the Windows way by going to add & remove?


After your explanation of the gateway warning, I wont be in such a hurry. Just might wait till the early morning hours or something. God knows I've got plenty of time <smile>.

Thanks,

Larry

On 3/24/2020 10:46 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
And I can unequivocally confirm that you do not, that is NOT, need to download the JAWS installer at all.  The activation program you get under the free offer pops up with three options, "Install and Activate," "Activate Only (or something similar), and Cancel.   Choosing the first option causes the JAWS installer to be fetched.

I uninstalled JAWS 2019, which is what I had on my system for occasional use in 40-minute mode, along with all other bits associated with Freedom Scientific, before running the Activation program that FS provided via download.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

This country has socialism for the rich, rugged individualism for the poor.

       ~ Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

 

Larry,

          I used the standard Control Panel, Programs & Features method to uninstall my existing JAWS installation, making sure to check the checkbox for uninstalling all shared components.  When that was done, and after restarting, which is required, all JAWS-related components were gone.  But I also uninstalled FS Reader and the DAISY files afterward by hand.  I really wanted a completely clean slate.

          Even if you can get in sometime today to obtain the Activation program, which for me was named, BrianVogelJAWSLicenseActivator.exe, the download of the actual JAWS installer it does is moving glacially slowly right now.  Mine has been running for several hours, and part of that is related to my download speeds here, but a big part of it is not.  It would probably be wise to snag the activator tonight and kick it off just before going to bed.  With any luck, it will have completed well before you wake up.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

This country has socialism for the rich, rugged individualism for the poor.

       ~ Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Larry Higgins
 

ll holy smokes, I'm all up and ready to go. It seems to have downloaded and activated in less or at about five minutes time.
 Looks like I've got a little something to help keep my mind off the Corona Virus <smile>.

I'm sure this will present me  with quite a learning curve, but I think I'm at least some kinda ready.


Guess the next thing to do is to find a JAWS mailing list for my sure to be frequent inquiries. But hopefully there wont be too many.

I'll hit the help pretty hard at first.

Thanks Brian for being there,

Larry


On 3/24/2020 11:49 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Larry,

          I used the standard Control Panel, Programs & Features method to uninstall my existing JAWS installation, making sure to check the checkbox for uninstalling all shared components.  When that was done, and after restarting, which is required, all JAWS-related components were gone.  But I also uninstalled FS Reader and the DAISY files afterward by hand.  I really wanted a completely clean slate.

          Even if you can get in sometime today to obtain the Activation program, which for me was named, BrianVogelJAWSLicenseActivator.exe, the download of the actual JAWS installer it does is moving glacially slowly right now.  Mine has been running for several hours, and part of that is related to my download speeds here, but a big part of it is not.  It would probably be wise to snag the activator tonight and kick it off just before going to bed.  With any luck, it will have completed well before you wake up.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

This country has socialism for the rich, rugged individualism for the poor.

       ~ Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

 

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 01:21 PM, Larry Higgins wrote:
next thing to do is to find a JAWS mailing list
The most active one I know of is right here on Groups.io:

The JAWS for Windows Support List

 click through and all the group email addresses are listed on that page under the section Group Email Addresses.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

This country has socialism for the rich, rugged individualism for the poor.

       ~ Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Gerardo Corripio
 

Was going to ask that very question. I can’t locate any sort of a button! Mine, once logged in, says No Products. any ideas?

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

El 24 mar 2020, a la(s) 8:44 a.m., Larry Higgins <larry.b.higgins@...> escribió:

OK, found the button, and started the download. Getting 504 Gateway timeout. Hope all isn't lost <smile>. I knew all I would have to do was ask, and my answer would turn up after trying the button option in my browser. Sheesh!, didn't see, or hear that one.

On 3/24/2020 9:24 AM, Larry Higgins via Groups.Io wrote:
Well listers, my luck, this will probably be a no-brainer, but after registering on the FS portal site for the free offering of JAWS, I cannot find a download option, even after signing back in to my account. Please, where do I go?


Now, this for me is a rather interesting turn of events, because I was, believe it or not, planning to subscribe to the annual licensing program this very day.


Any quick help with this will certainly be greatly appreciated.


Sincerely,


Larry




Gerardo Corripio
 

And will that give me access to a Spanish Jaws too? Thanks for info.

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

El 24 mar 2020, a la(s) 8:47 a.m., Gerald Levy via Groups.Io <bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io> escribió:


To download JAWS 2020, visit the following site. Once you have successfully installed it, go to the update activation dialog under the license submenu on the JAWS help menu, and go through each step to activate your copy of JAWS:


https://support.freedomscientific.com/Downloads/JAWS


Gerald



On 3/24/2020 10:24 AM, Larry Higgins wrote:
Well listers, my luck, this will probably be a no-brainer, but after registering on the FS portal site for the free offering of JAWS, I cannot find a download option, even after signing back in to my account. Please, where do I go?


Now, this for me is a rather interesting turn of events, because I was, believe it or not, planning to subscribe to the annual licensing program this very day.


Any quick help with this will certainly be greatly appreciated.


Sincerely,


Larry






 

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 03:17 PM, Gerardo Corripio wrote:
Was going to ask that very question. I can’t locate any sort of a button! Mine, once logged in, says No Products. any ideas?
Are you in the USA or Canada?   If not, do not expect the website to work, as it is only designed to service the USA and Canada for this offer.

If you, any you, are outside of the USA or Canada the offer itself explicitly states that you must contact the JAWS distributor in your country in order to get a free home license there.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

This country has socialism for the rich, rugged individualism for the poor.

       ~ Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

 

I own a jaws users list here on groups.io.

Jfw-users@groups.io

 

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 1:39 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] Now where to I go download and install the free Jaws offering: Found it, now getting 504 gateway time out

 

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 01:21 PM, Larry Higgins wrote:

next thing to do is to find a JAWS mailing list

The most active one I know of is right here on Groups.io:

The JAWS for Windows Support List

 click through and all the group email addresses are listed on that page under the section Group Email Addresses.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

This country has socialism for the rich, rugged individualism for the poor.

       ~ Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Larry Higgins
 

Thanks Brian for the Info.

On 3/24/2020 1:39 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 01:21 PM, Larry Higgins wrote:
next thing to do is to find a JAWS mailing list
The most active one I know of is right here on Groups.io:

The JAWS for Windows Support List

 click through and all the group email addresses are listed on that page under the section Group Email Addresses.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

This country has socialism for the rich, rugged individualism for the poor.

       ~ Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

 

Jfw-users+subscribe@groups.io

 

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Higgins
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 9:09 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] Now where to I go download and install the free Jaws offering: Found it, now getting 504 gateway time out

 

Thanks Brian for the Info.

On 3/24/2020 1:39 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 01:21 PM, Larry Higgins wrote:

next thing to do is to find a JAWS mailing list

The most active one I know of is right here on Groups.io:

The JAWS for Windows Support List

 click through and all the group email addresses are listed on that page under the section Group Email Addresses.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

This country has socialism for the rich, rugged individualism for the poor.

       ~ Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.