Topics

Notice from head list representative: please keep specific product serial numbers to yourselves #AdminNotice

Hello everyone,

As people are expressing many opinions about online privacy these days (but the thing is that if you are online, your info is public), I (Win10 forum head list representative/owner) would like to request this forum that specific product serial numbers should be kept to yourselves. For those who’ve been with us for a while, you may recall me saying that you should not post product keys on this forum (there are public product keys that were approved by Microsoft for wide distribution for specific purposes), and consider product serial numbers as an extension of that.

For sake of completeness, it is fine to post the following about your hardware and software setup:

  • Hardware: type, brand and model, specific hardware components if any (again for these, only provide brand and model)
  • Software: vendor, software name and version (this includes Windows 10 versions as well)

And please do not post:

  • Product keys assigned to you (including subscription info you are using)
  • Cracked product keys
  • Product serial numbers (doesn’t matter how you’ve obtained it)

You can obtain all sorts of info about your system through System Information (msinfo32.exe), Belarc Advisor, OEM tools that came with your system (such as Lenovo Vantage) among other tools.

valiant8086

Hi.

I think I would add that there is a number that could be used to identify some machines, for instance Lenovo. In adition to the model name Thinkpad T480s, there's a type number, and there can be multiple type numbers with slightly different configurations that all are T480s machines e.g. one with NVidia Discrete Graphics and one without etc.

So I can shout out that I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T480s type 20l7 and that can be used to get a bit more info on my specific configuration although it's customizable while ordering, so you still won't know how much ram I have or how big my storage media is etc.

Mike if you're reading this, the system type is referenced in Vantage near the Serial number if you need it.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com