Topics

Needing to change email accounts question

Kurt Miller

Hi all, I had recently asked about the DSL modem, but decided to switch to local cable broadband. I called to disconnect my DSL internet and was told that I will lose all emails immediately. I need to save or transfer/forward these ones to a Gmail account. Is there an easy way to do this without doing them individually?

Thanks for any help. Kurt

“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.”

Corrie Ten Boom

What email client are you using, and was your access method pop or IMAP?

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

Journalism 101:  If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Sarah k Alawami

There is a way to import into a gmail account, but it needs to be when you start a new account. I would google but right now I don’t have the time as I‘m heading off to work. Google for “importing email into Gmail” and you should get the answer.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2021 7:48 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] Needing to change email accounts question

--

Journalism 101:  If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

Kurt Miller

Brian,

The email client is century link and I would have to check to find out either pop or imap. It was set up long before I came into the picture and is only used on her computer, so can’t even know from using multiple devices.

Kurt

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2021 10:48 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] Needing to change email accounts question

--

Sarah's recommendation is the best one.  It appears that Gmail has now implemented an import into Gmail function, which it did not once have.  You need to do this while the account you're looking to preserve is still active. And what you'll be able to get into Gmail will be determined by what is still on the server, and that will depend on how the email was accessed by the client she was using.

In any case, even if the account goes away, if it were to have been accessed via POP, what you currently have on the machine you're using in the email client doesn't just vanish.

--