Topics

need to redo windows

heather albright

Hello, how do I get windows10 1909 instead of the newest version of windows? I was using the 1909 media tool and it told me I had to upgrade to the latest tool. Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you all.
Heather
"Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan

sites
National Federation of The Blind:
www.nfb.org
an accessibil library for the blind:
www.bookshare.org

Put most simply, if you want this from Microsoft, you don't.   Microsoft makes the media creation tool available for the most recent released version of Windows.  In fact, even Media Creation Tools from several releases back (now) were set up to detect if a newer version of Windows 10 is available, and to refuse to cooperate in creating media for an out-of-date (note that I didn't say out-of-support, but out-of-date compared to whatever is current) one.

Unless you know someone who has a Version 1909 ISO downloaded and saved, and who can burn it to bootable media, you're out of luck if you stay within legitimate channels.  And I have not tried using my actual 1909 bootable media since 2004 is current, but it would not shock me if it actually installed version 2004, or instructed me that I must get new media.

Windows As A Service does not "look backward."
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Actually, I take back the comment about not using 1909 install media since 2004 came out.  I did have to do this, once, in early July and it did install Version 1909 on that machine at that time.  It helps to have service invoices that I created for clients on file on occasions such as this.

--

heather albright

Okay, just wondering if it is safe to upgrade to the latest version!I was told to wait but, my windows was or is having issues. That is why I needed to reinstall 1909. But, if the latest 10 version is okay to use! I am all for it!
Thanks Heather

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] need to redo windows

Actually, I take back the comment about not using 1909 install media since 2004 came out.  I did have to do this, once, in early July and it did install Version 1909 on that machine at that time.  It helps to have service invoices that I created for clients on file on occasions such as this.

--

g melconian

The media creation tool is for windows 10 2004. As I had to do this recently.  

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 1:44 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io

Put most simply, if you want this from Microsoft, you don't.   Microsoft makes the media creation tool available for the most recent released version of Windows.  In fact, even Media Creation Tools from several releases back (now) were set up to detect if a newer version of Windows 10 is available, and to refuse to cooperate in creating media for an out-of-date (note that I didn't say out-of-support, but out-of-date compared to whatever is current) one.

Unless you know someone who has a Version 1909 ISO downloaded and saved, and who can burn it to bootable media, you're out of luck if you stay within legitimate channels.  And I have not tried using my actual 1909 bootable media since 2004 is current, but it would not shock me if it actually installed version 2004, or instructed me that I must get new media.

Windows As A Service does not "look backward."
--

Heather,

Virtually no one, including myself, can predict how Version 2004 might behave with a single machine, the details of which are unknown to us.

You've hit a difficult situation and if you use the Media Creation Tool you'll get 2004 now.   You do, however, have the option of using the Fresh Start feature under 1909 and it will likely reinstall 1909.  Settings, Update & Security, Windows Security Pane, then Device Performance & Health.  Once that dialog opens, navigate to the Fresh Start section, activate the additional info link, then read through the information presented before you give the order to carry it out via the Get Started button.  I will not guarantee that this will not, potentially, upgrade you to 2004.  I have never seen this feature used during a transition period, so I'm not absolutely certain whether it will strictly keep to the current version you're running or will "look forward" to the most recent one.

--

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

This is actually an interesting question as I went through a stage a while ago when I wanted to install a previous version.

It may have been me being stupid but I had old media on cd and usb pen and when I installed from it, it seemed to put the latest version on regardiless. I had removed the previous partition etc.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of heather albright
Sent: 29 July 2020 21:39
Subject: [win10] need to redo windows

Hello, how do I get windows10 1909 instead of the newest version of windows? I was using the 1909 media tool and it told me I had to upgrade to the latest tool. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you all.

Heather

sites
www.nfb.org
www.bookshare.org

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

Chris

Could be that the option to download and install latest updates was checked

In which case that you would get the latest version from an old ISO image

Sent: 03 August 2020 11:49

This is actually an interesting question as I went through a stage a while ago when I wanted to install a previous version.

It may have been me being stupid but I had old media on cd and usb pen and when I installed from it, it seemed to put the latest version on regardiless. I had removed the previous partition etc.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of heather albright

Thank you all.

Heather

sites
www.nfb.org
www.bookshare.org

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Yes, the odd thing about that was that it wasn’t connected to the wifi until after it had installed etc as it ran the install from an unattended installation script.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris via groups.io
Sent: 03 August 2020 12:48

Thank you all.

Heather

sites
www.nfb.org
www.bookshare.org

Chris

Surely if you completely disconnect from the internet, then it cant update an older image

Sent: 03 August 2020 14:46

Yes, the odd thing about that was that it wasn’t connected to the wifi until after it had installed etc as it ran the install from an unattended installation script.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris via groups.io

Thank you all.

Heather

sites
www.nfb.org
www.bookshare.org

heather albright

I was able to update my pc by resetting this pc and deleting everything. So it downloaded 1909 back again. So MS is trying to get you to have a ms account instead of a local account. So if your off line, you can make it accept a local account. So when the windows set up comes up, unplugg your internet and it will allow you to by pass that window. And than you can plugg your internet cord back in to get all the updates etc. If there is another way to get a local account without unplugging the internet cord, please let me know. Cheers Heather

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 9:22 AM

Surely if you completely disconnect from the internet, then it cant update an older image

Sent: 03 August 2020 14:46

Thank you all.

Heather

sites
www.nfb.org
www.bookshare.org