Topics

my laptop with the Windows 10 updating problem

meadowlark226@...

Hello everyone,

Well, I'll tell you what's happened with my laptop who wouldn't update to Windows 10 1909. My geeky friend has had that thing since Monday and ran into the same problem as I did. It would go so far and it would do what would happen to me. I had no spyware, no adware, no viruses. He didn't want to have to just wipe the whole thing clean and start over, unless he talked to me first, so he went to Microsoft twice. Microsoft told him twice what to do to write things in and all of that, what files to delete to write in and what to take off and so on, and still no go. It still didn't work. I guess what we've decided to do is to wipe the drive clean, buy me the Windows 10 disk and start all over again. Luckily, I'd taken all off that laptop that I wanted. He said that because my laptop had been a refurbished laptop to begin with, and I'd gotten it in 2014, not knowing how old it was to begin with, it is highly possible that the CPU might not be able to handle the 1909 update. It might be the culprit. But he believes there is a program on there blocking updates and it's called "Save Updates", and the way it seems to work is that once it sees an update and if it has updated it and thinks things are updated, it won't try and update again. I don't even know what that came with or where it came from. I don't remember installing a program like that. This laptop has been a very good computer.

Anyway, folks, that's what is happening now. It was not in Tablet mode, but in the process of trying to update itself, things got turned off in the icons that shouldn't have, and that's why setting were messed up, too.

So, I'll let you know what happens in a day or two.

Take care,

Brenda

mailto:meadowlark226@...

One more thing to consider. Is your bios up to date?

On 2/14/2020 4:19 PM, meadowlark226@... wrote:
[...]

that, I don't know. I don't have the computer right now to know that and you do have a good point. I'll talk to my friend about that. Thanks.

Brenda

[...]

Pramit

Hi Brenda,

I recommend that you check for 2 things one the BIOS and the other one is the system configuration.
Certain systems that are old and doesn't have enough configuration are not able to update to Windows 10.
Laptop must have enough RAM and hard drive for this to work. So also make sure that the laptop holds the basic configuration required.

Hope this helps

Pramit

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 2:49 AM <meadowlark226@...> wrote:
[...]

My friend went and bought me a copy of Windows 10. He cleaned the whole drive clean as a whistle. It installed clean, but here's what happened. It installed just fine, but when he went to activate it, the computer said on screen:

"Windows 10 has already been activated."

He called Microsoft and Microsoft said it had been activated. Now, how'd that happen, when he did not activate it? This laptop has got some weird stuff. He is saying he's not seen such a weird computer in his life! I don't know what program he's using to clear the hard drive with, but I never heard of such a thing. I've been using computers for quite awhile and I've never heard of such stuff. Nevertheless, he wouldn't tell me a line of bull like that either. I've known him for too long.

One thing I don't have any more now, is any of the HP stuff on it. Now, it is, by all intents and purposes, a pure Windows 10 machine. He wants to test it now, for a day or two, to make sure it's gonna run right. He's saying it's running like a brand new laptop. Being that none of the hardware is bad on it, that's pretty cool. He then said, "If you should decide you don't want it, give that thing to me." I'd gladly take it." Not if it's running like that. But that's where we are right now.

Take care you guys, and thanks for your help.

[...]

Hi,
Yep, and that's the beauty of digital license. I think Microsoft activation server did recognize the "new computer" as an "activated machine" due to motherboard information and what not, especially given that OEM's such as HP is supposed to pre-activate their devices or include a routine to allow Windows to detect OEM licenses easily.

[...]

Oh, Okay, Joseph, so he and I are not crazy. So, it did get Windows 10 1909. Yippie! Finally, after all that!

I have another question, and it's a bit OT, but I need to get an iCon off my Windows 7 computer. When they gave out the free Windows 10 upgrades, I had an icon in my system tray to get that. The computer wouldn't update due to hardware that is incompatible with Windows 10 and unfortunately, the system is too old to get hardware for. How do I get that icon out, now?

Thanks,

Brenda

[...]

Although I do not specifics anymore (as I have shut down my Windows 7 virtual machine for good), one needs to remove a variant of old GWX utility.

[...]

Mike B

Hi Brenda,

Try the following:
1. Go to the desktop and press, Windows key + T, to put you on the Taskbar now press, Alt + enter, to open the Taskbar properties.

 2. Tab 4 or 5 times to, Notification area customize button, and press the spacebar to open.

3. Tab until you find the icon you're looking for and arrow up / down to, Hide icon, and tab to Okay press the spacebar and tab to Okay again and press the spacebar.
Now you might want to go into control panel / programs & features and see if the GWX program is there and remove it if it is.

[...]

mike, there is not a GWX Utility in the Programs and features part of the Programs and Features part of the control Panel, but it is an icon on the system tray. I can hide the icon, but I don't think I can remove the baby. I think hiding it is going to be the best I can do.

Thanks,

Brenda

[...]

Well, I'll be darned!!!!! Here we go again!!!!! Thought we had the darn problem solved but we don't! That darn thing!!!!! It's up again!!!!! Now what????? It's back up here, just as pretty as you please!!!!! Now, where to go to?????

Thanks,

Brenda

[...]

You would have to use CCleaner to get rid of any system tray icons that represent programs no longer installed on your computer.  It's a little tricky, but very doable.

[...]

george b

Why don’t you call Microsoft accessibility help?

[...]

I think I found the fix, try the following:
Select the KB3035583 update with a click or a tap and then press the Uninstall button found at the top of the updates list. Confirm that you want to uninstall
this update and wait for the process to finish. Then, reboot your device. Now, the "Get Windows 10" app is completely removed from your system.

[...]

matthew dyer

Hi,

Windows was activated from the OEM key st9ored in the firmware of the system. HTH.

Matthew

[...]

Sh-t, I don't even have it. It's more accessible to Windows 7, though, right? Where do I get the darn thing?

Thanks,

Brenda

[...]

Because this computer has been compromised somewhere down the road and you can no longer go remotely on it. Thanks, though, because I definitely would have long long time ago.

Brenda

From: meadowlark226@...

[...]

Thanks. I told my friend what Joseph Lee had said.

BTW, my friend called today and the laptop is ready to roll! Yeah! I'll pick it up tomorrow! Alright! One big problem solved! I do appreciate everybody's help with that.

Now, it's just that little "Get Windows 10 Icon on my PC off. You guys are good. Thanks.

Take care,

Brenda

[...]

I thought your friend did a clean install of Windows 10? If so this would or should have deleted everything on the hard drive. After a clean install only Windows 10 would have been on the laptop, you would have had to download and install Jaws, install Office if you use it etc.