Topics

MS to dump Edge for a as yet unnamed Chromiem browser

Lino Morales

Well subject says it all. MS hasn’t officially said this, but this is breaking for the past day. Broke by Zach Boden of WIN Central. Boy the big question here is what will the future hold from a screen reader stand point with said new browser? As they say here in newscasts here in the states more at 11. Stay tuned.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi,

Note that some universal apps do use EdgeHTML (the rendering engine, not the browser itself) for their user interfaces, so I expect the rendering engine will stay for a while. As in any rumors, things can change without notice.

As far as screen reading is concerned, since some screen readers use IAccessible2 when dealing with Chromium (which powers Google Chrome, by the way), I expect a gradual shift will be discussed, namely moving from direct IA2 usage to a IA2 to UI Automation bridge as seen in Narrator in Insider Preview builds (18000 series). On one hand, using existing screen reading modules for Chromium means Vispero, NV Access and others won’t have to worry about the supposed new rendering engine unless it is somehow tweaked by Microsoft for various reasons. On the other hand, as more developers are talking about UI Automation, it’ll be interesting to see how others will react to this change, provided that it is indeed confirmed in the future and UIA bridge is recommended for this scenario. Just like what happened with Edge support, I expect third-party screen readers to support the supposed new web browser weeks (or months) after the new web browser makes its public debut. Again, what I just outlined may change as time progresses.