Topics

MS to dump Edge for a as yet unnamed Chromiem browser

Lino Morales

Well subject says it all. MS hasn’t officially said this, but this is breaking for the past day. Broke by Zach Boden of WIN Central. Boy the big question here is what will the future hold from a screen reader stand point with said new browser? As they say here in newscasts here in the states more at 11. Stay tuned.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi,

Note that some universal apps do use EdgeHTML (the rendering engine, not the browser itself) for their user interfaces, so I expect the rendering engine will stay for a while. As in any rumors, things can change without notice.

As far as screen reading is concerned, since some screen readers use IAccessible2 when dealing with Chromium (which powers Google Chrome, by the way), I expect a gradual shift will be discussed, namely moving from direct IA2 usage to a IA2 to UI Automation bridge as seen in Narrator in Insider Preview builds (18000 series). On one hand, using existing screen reading modules for Chromium means Vispero, NV Access and others won’t have to worry about the supposed new rendering engine unless it is somehow tweaked by Microsoft for various reasons. On the other hand, as more developers are talking about UI Automation, it’ll be interesting to see how others will react to this change, provided that it is indeed confirmed in the future and UIA bridge is recommended for this scenario. Just like what happened with Edge support, I expect third-party screen readers to support the supposed new web browser weeks (or months) after the new web browser makes its public debut. Again, what I just outlined may change as time progresses.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lino Morales
Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 11:14 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] MS to dump Edge for a as yet unnamed Chromiem browser

Well subject says it all. MS hasn’t officially said this, but this is breaking for the past day. Broke by Zach Boden of WIN Central. Boy the big question here is what will the future hold from a screen reader stand point with said new browser? As they say here in newscasts here in the states more at 11. Stay tuned.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hmph I have never used edge, but why are they dumping it.

Thought they liked it.

Then again, if google chrome or something like it becomes part of windows, it could either mean that things will be well good or they won't.

Why the dump though.

On 12/5/2018 8:14 AM, Lino Morales wrote:

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

And its probably likely that even if ms dumps edge it may just move it from a core program to an optional app to load from store.

After paint and a few other things were depricated some of them were moved to apps, not to be developed anymore but still used as apps.

On 12/5/2018 8:25 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,

Note that some universal apps do use EdgeHTML (the rendering engine, not the
browser itself) for their user interfaces, so I expect the rendering engine
will stay for a while. As in any rumors, things can change without notice.

As far as screen reading is concerned, since some screen readers use
IAccessible2 when dealing with Chromium (which powers Google Chrome, by the
way), I expect a gradual shift will be discussed, namely moving from direct
IA2 usage to a IA2 to UI Automation bridge as seen in Narrator in Insider
Preview builds (18000 series). On one hand, using existing screen reading
modules for Chromium means Vispero, NV Access and others won't have to worry
about the supposed new rendering engine unless it is somehow tweaked by
Microsoft for various reasons. On the other hand, as more developers are
talking about UI Automation, it'll be interesting to see how others will
react to this change, provided that it is indeed confirmed in the future and
UIA bridge is recommended for this scenario. Just like what happened with
Edge support, I expect third-party screen readers to support the supposed
new web browser weeks (or months) after the new web browser makes its public
debut. Again, what I just outlined may change as time progresses.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lino
Morales
Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 11:14 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] MS to dump Edge for a as yet unnamed Chromiem browser

Well subject says it all. MS hasn't officially said this, but this is
breaking for the past day. Broke by Zach Boden of WIN Central. Boy the big
question here is what will the future hold from a screen reader stand point
with said new browser? As they say here in newscasts here in the states more
at 11. Stay tuned.

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 03:43 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Why the dump though.
Because Edge is simply not gaining any significant market share and even 3.5 years in to the Windows 10 era can hardly be called a mature browser that can compete with Chrome or Firefox, to name two.

If the rumor is true, perhaps someone at Microsoft has finally learned the lesson that throwing good effort after bad is, well, bad, bad, bad.  Cut your losses and move along.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

~ Anne Lamott