Topics

Microsoft Outlook Logon Screen

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Has anyone come across an issue with Microsoft Outlook and the logon screen?

It seems to happen in Microsoft Outlook 2010 and 2016 in my experience.

Basically Microsoft Outlook seems to start to open and then does nothing else.

If you fiddle around, you can find that there is a logon screen which seems to be behind the main Microsoft Outlook screen requesting you to log in but you can’t get the focus to it unless someone sighted actually clicks the mouse in the correct area.

Not sure if anyone has found a way around this?

Steven,

           I haven't encountered this unless someone's changed their e-mail password and then the existing one in Outlook causes a login failure.

           Even if that's not the case for you, if you suspect the issue is recurring, see if using Task View to get to that dialog might work.  WinKey+Tab brings it up, then right arrowing through the resulting tasks allows you to navigate all of them, circling back to the first one when you hit the end.  It's another twist on ALT+TAB but it may get you focus when ALT+TAB won't.  If that does work please report back.

     You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

               ~ Anne Lamott

This used to be the case, but recently this seems to have been fixed for me because when I recently set up my wife's Outlook.com email account in Outlook 2016 (the subscription version) the password screen was accessible. But you are correct that for some time this was not the case and you needed a sighted person to click on it before you could enter the password.

Are you using the retail or subscription version of 2016, I am not going to comment on 2010 because it is so old by now and to my knowledge no longer supported and if things start to not work it wouldn't surprise me.

Has anyone come across an issue with Microsoft Outlook and the logon screen?

It seems to happen in Microsoft Outlook 2010 and 2016 in my experience.

Basically Microsoft Outlook seems to start to open and then does nothing else.

If you fiddle around, you can find that there is a logon screen which seems to be behind the main Microsoft Outlook screen requesting you to log in but you can’t get the focus to it unless someone sighted actually clicks the mouse in the correct area.

Not sure if anyone has found a way around this?

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Thanks, I will give that a try and report back if I can.

Strangely this morning the logon window popped up as expected.

Unfortunately I ticked the remember details so it probably won’t come up again now.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 02:06 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
2010 because it is so old by now and to my knowledge no longer supported and if things start to not work it wouldn't surprise me.
Sieghard,

            Though you're right about 2010 being old and rickety, it's still getting updates.  I left 2010 on my systems "for insurance" when I upgraded to Outlook 2016 [installed version] using recycled licenses, as I wanted to be absolutely certain that I wasn't going to have unanticipated issues.  I've been too lazy to do the uninstallations yet, so all of these machines keep getting Office 2010 program updates through Windows Update.