Topics

Microsoft Edge

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Is anyone aware of any Edge settings that would block an on line radio station?

Sorry but I am not that familiar with the new browser.

Basically there is an on line radio station that I listen to all the time and the url won’t open and play in the new Edge but if I install Chrome, it plays first time.

Steven Hicks

Servicedesk 2 Team Leader

Tel:  01209 318620.

Mobile:  07393 792548.

EMail:  Steven.Hicks@...

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Steven. Under More Settings>Settings>Cookies and Site Data>Media Autoplay, make sure Media Audioplay is set to Allow for that site.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 4:22 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Microsoft Edge

Basically there is an on line radio station that I listen to all the time and the url won’t open and play in the new Edge but if I install Chrome, it plays first time.

Steven Hicks

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

Thanks so much, I will give that a try.

Steven Hicks

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: 20 January 2021 15:40
Subject: Re: [win10] Microsoft Edge

Hi, Steven. Under More Settings>Settings>Cookies and Site Data>Media Autoplay, make sure Media Audioplay is set to Allow for that site.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io

Steven Hicks

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

Thanks Bill, I am real issues finding this to be honest and it is really frustrating.

Each time I try to play the station, it comes up with Autoplay blocked, press the play button and I can’t find a play button on the screen.

Sure it is something simple that I can find in the settings, I have used the search to look for media but it just doesn’t seem to fine anything.

Steven Hicks

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Steven Hicks

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 07:22 AM, Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) wrote:
the url won’t open and play in the new Edge but if I install Chrome, it plays first time.

Can you share the URL?

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

Journalism 101:  If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Thanks, the link is:

https://planetradio.co.uk/magic/player/

Steven Hicks

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 21 January 2021 15:22

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 07:22 AM, Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) wrote:

the url won’t open and play in the new Edge but if I install Chrome, it plays first time.

Can you share the URL?

--

Journalism 101:  If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 10:23 AM, Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) wrote:
-
Thanks.  It looks like help is going to have to come from others in the UK, as I get an error message saying that one can only stream from within the UK.

Are you, by any chance, using a VPN with Edge that you are not using with Chrome?  It's clear that if the radio station believes you're outside the UK it just comes up with that error message screen, as there's no stream to play.

--

Thanks so much for looking Brian, I appreciate that.

I Am using a VPN on my main laptop but this is on the test one in the other room and it just says the auto play was blocked I think.

I Will have another play later tonight to see if there is another ssetting somewhere.

Steven Hicks

Sent: 21 January 2021 15:27

-
Thanks.  It looks like help is going to have to come from others in the UK, as I get an error message saying that one can only stream from within the UK.

Are you, by any chance, using a VPN with Edge that you are not using with Chrome?  It's clear that if the radio station believes you're outside the UK it just comes up with that error message screen, as there's no stream to play.

--

Steven,

I do not know what, if any, Edge extensions you have installed but there are various ad blockers and/or AutoPlay Next blockers that might cause this.  There's a variety of potential reasons, and I suspect that a native Edge problem is not what will eventually found to be the root cause.

--

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Steven. You must find the Media Audioplay setting and set it to allow if you are to receive your radio station. Otherwise, it will come up as being blocked. Is there any way we can talk? Do you have Skype? I know you are in the UK, so the telephone is out.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 8:55 AM

Thanks so much for looking Brian, I appreciate that.

I Am using a VPN on my main laptop but this is on the test one in the other room and it just says the auto play was blocked I think.

I Will have another play later tonight to see if there is another ssetting somewhere.

Steven Hicks

Sent: 21 January 2021 15:27

-

--

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 12:15 PM, Bill White wrote:
You must find the Media Audioplay setting
-
This should be set to Allow by default, but it can be found by opening settings and entering the word autoplay in the search box.  The only setting returned is the Media Autoplay and its value set by the dropdown box if it is not already allow.

--

Mike B

Hi Steven,

Here's how I got to where Bill is saying where to find the setting you want.
1. With Edge open press, Alt + F, to open the menu and press the letter, S, to open settings.

2. When Settings opens you should land on a search field, press enter to open the search field and type the word, more.

3. Tab a couple of times to navigation region Profiles, and downarrow to, cookies and site permissions, and press enter.

4. Tab many times, it's not quite 30 times, to the, Media auto play button, and press the spacebar.

5. Tab once or twice to the , Control if audio and video play automatically... button and press the spacebar to open.  It's a list box with 2 choices, Allow and Limit.

Good luck.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 7:20 AM

Thanks Bill, I am real issues finding this to be honest and it is really frustrating.

Each time I try to play the station, it comes up with Autoplay blocked, press the play button and I can’t find a play button on the screen.

Sure it is something simple that I can find in the settings, I have used the search to look for media but it just doesn’t seem to fine anything.

Steven Hicks

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Steven Hicks

Gentlemen,

If you know the actual name of a given setting, or even a large part of it, using that in the search box will really limit your results.

I get different results if I use just autoplay as the search for current production Edge versus Edge Dev.  But if I enter Media Autoplay on either that's the one and only setting that gets returned in the search results, and you have direct access to it in the search result.

Doing this as general practice saves a heck of a lot of brute force tabbing and potentially missing something.
--

Steven Hicks

Thanks to everyone, it now seems to be playing, I have no idea why J

It has been a long day and another one scheduled for tomorrow J

Thanks again all, at least I will have a bit of music while I work J

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 21 January 2021 17:52

Gentlemen,

If you know the actual name of a given setting, or even a large part of it, using that in the search box will really limit your results.

I get different results if I use just autoplay as the search for current production Edge versus Edge Dev.  But if I enter Media Autoplay on either that's the one and only setting that gets returned in the search results, and you have direct access to it in the search result.

Doing this as general practice saves a heck of a lot of brute force tabbing and potentially missing something.
--