Topics

Lost almost everything on my system tray

Sharon

For example, I no longer have anything about if I’m operating in battery or am charging laptop, if internet is on or not, and most of the other stuff that is normally on a regular windows 10 system tray.

What can I do to get it back?

Sharon

Sounds like you got a nasty trojan

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sharon
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 6:58 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Lost almost everything on my system tray

For example, I no longer have anything about if I’m operating in battery or am charging laptop, if internet is on or not, and most of the other stuff that is normally on a regular windows 10 system tray.

Sharon

Jacob Kruger

One question is, if you tab around to something like what NVDA tells me is the task view button, on the lower bar, and then invoke context menu, arrow up to, and hit enter on task bar settings, and then tab over to and hit enter on select which icons appear on the taskbar, are your prior icons available there to turn on again, if they've have their display turned off?

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."

On 2020-11-18 03:54 PM, Mike Capelle wrote:

Sounds like you got a nasty trojan

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sharon
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 6:58 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Lost almost everything on my system tray

Sharon

Sharon

I don’t know but Microsoft got them back for me.

They said it may be the new windows version and told me not to run it right now; they think the fatal installation message may have come from there.

Will do a scan first.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 09:53 AM, Sharon wrote:
Will do a scan first.
-
And if you're using Windows Security, do an offline scan to get the most deep and thorough checking.  It runs on reboot and is performed even before Windows itself is active, which allows it to "get at things" that cannot be examined when Windows itself is running.

I suspect a nasty "burp" with your last update more than anything else as the likely culprit, though.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041
The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it. 
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Quentin Christensen

Before jumping down the rabbit hole of whether the PC is infected with anything, check the simplest thing first.  If you press WINDOWS+B, the focus jumps to the notification area (also called the system tray, near the clock, where the battery icon and other things like network status or NVDA icon go).  What is the first thing read?  If it reads "Notification chevron", then what is happening is that Windows is shrinking your notification area, only showing a couple of items, and you have to activate the notification chevron to sow everything else.  If you press spacebar on that, you can then arrow through everything in the notification area.

If that is the issue, you can fix it.  Press the windows key, and start typing "Select which icons appear on the taskbar".  When that option comes up, press ENTER.  One of the first items here is a checkbox "Always show all icons in the notification area".  Press SPACEBAR to toggle that.  When enabled, all icons are always shown in the notification area and accessible immediately with the arrow keys when you press WINDOWS+B.  If you that option is disabled, you can then (on that settings screen) tab through the options and it shows a checkbox for everything which has previously shown a notification area icon.  You can enable or disable each to determine whether that item is shown in the notification area, or (if disabled) in the "chevron" or overflow area.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 11:57 PM Sharon <mt281820@...> wrote:

Sharon

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager