Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2021 12:54 AM
Subject: [win10] Keyboard pronunciations

Hi all, When using narrator or NVDA on my previous laptop, Windows 10, the letter A was pronounced er, The‘ was pronounced tick, and the exclamation was pronounced bang. I have just moved to a different laptop with Windows 10, and I get the same problem. Is there a way of changing this. I’ve never had this on any other previous laptop or desktop computer. I’ve never used jaws on either of these laptops so I don’t know what that would apply also. Grateful for any help.
Brian

Quentin Christensen

Brian, and Mike,

How did you go with changing symbol pronunciation?

Once you are in the Punctuation / Symbol Pronunciation dialog (NVDA+n, p, p), what you do is:

1) For a common character, press it - eg ! and it will jump to "bang" in this case.
2) Press TAB once to "Replacement edit"
3) Type what you want NVDA to say.
If you don't want to change anything else, press ENTER (or tab to ok and enter).

At step 1, you can also press SHIFT+TAB to "Filter" to type either the symbol or the current pronunciation.

Note that some symbols, such as ! have several entries - in this case one for when it is a sentence ending punctuation mark, and one for when it is not.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 12:57 AM Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
Hi Brian,

Although I haven't figured out exactly how to do this yet it can be done in, Punctuation/ Symbols Pronunciation.  To get there,
Press, Insert + N, to open the NVDA menu, press enter on Preferences, down arrow to punctuation / Symbols Pronunciation and  press enter.

Hopefully someone can give us both steps on making things like, dot, bang, tick... to, period, exclaim, apostrophy across the board.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Brian Williams <Werewolvesdad@...>

Thanks for your advice, that’s exactly what ends up doing, that in a roundabout way.
Thanks for your advice, that’s exactly what I  ended up doing, that in a roundabout way. There are lots of features there that you don’t know about till somebody points out you need them. Strange that the  problem never occurred on any previous laptop I owned.
Brian