Topics

Keyboard pronunciations

Brian Williams <Werewolvesdad@...>

Hi all, When using narrator or NVDA on my previous laptop, Windows 10, the letter A was pronounced er, The‘ was pronounced tick, and the exclamation was pronounced bang. I have just moved to a different laptop with Windows 10, and I get the same problem. Is there a way of changing this. I’ve never had this on any other previous laptop or desktop computer. I’ve never used jaws on either of these laptops so I don’t know what that would apply also. Grateful for any help.
Brian

Mike B

Hi Brian,

Although I haven't figured out exactly how to do this yet it can be done in, Punctuation/ Symbols Pronunciation.  To get there,
Press, Insert + N, to open the NVDA menu, press enter on Preferences, down arrow to punctuation / Symbols Pronunciation and  press enter.

Hopefully someone can give us both steps on making things like, dot, bang, tick... to, period, exclaim, apostrophy across the board.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2021 12:54 AM
Subject: [win10] Keyboard pronunciations

Hi all, When using narrator or NVDA on my previous laptop, Windows 10, the letter A was pronounced er, The‘ was pronounced tick, and the exclamation was pronounced bang. I have just moved to a different laptop with Windows 10, and I get the same problem. Is there a way of changing this. I’ve never had this on any other previous laptop or desktop computer. I’ve never used jaws on either of these laptops so I don’t know what that would apply also. Grateful for any help.
Brian

Quentin Christensen

Brian, and Mike,

How did you go with changing symbol pronunciation?

Once you are in the Punctuation / Symbol Pronunciation dialog (NVDA+n, p, p), what you do is:

1) For a common character, press it - eg ! and it will jump to "bang" in this case.
2) Press TAB once to "Replacement edit"
3) Type what you want NVDA to say.
If you don't want to change anything else, press ENTER (or tab to ok and enter).

At step 1, you can also press SHIFT+TAB to "Filter" to type either the symbol or the current pronunciation.

Note that some symbols, such as ! have several entries - in this case one for when it is a sentence ending punctuation mark, and one for when it is not.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 12:57 AM Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
Hi Brian,

Although I haven't figured out exactly how to do this yet it can be done in, Punctuation/ Symbols Pronunciation.  To get there,
Press, Insert + N, to open the NVDA menu, press enter on Preferences, down arrow to punctuation / Symbols Pronunciation and  press enter.

Hopefully someone can give us both steps on making things like, dot, bang, tick... to, period, exclaim, apostrophy across the board.

Brian

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Brian Williams <Werewolvesdad@...>

Thanks for your advice, that’s exactly what ends up doing, that in a roundabout way.
Thanks for your advice, that’s exactly what I  ended up doing, that in a roundabout way. There are lots of features there that you don’t know about till somebody points out you need them. Strange that the  problem never occurred on any previous laptop I owned.
Brian

On 2 Mar 2021, at 5:40 am, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

Brian, and Mike,

Once you are in the Punctuation / Symbol Pronunciation dialog (NVDA+n, p, p), what you do is:

1) For a common character, press it - eg ! and it will jump to "bang" in this case.
If you don't want to change anything else, press ENTER (or tab to ok and enter).

At step 1, you can also press SHIFT+TAB to "Filter" to type either the symbol or the current pronunciation.

Note that some symbols, such as ! have several entries - in this case one for when it is a sentence ending punctuation mark, and one for when it is not.

Kind regards

Quentin.

Hi Brian,

Brian

--
Quentin Christensen

Mike B

Hi Quentin,

Well, I thought I had done it the way you suggest but, the punctuation was still being spoken.  Can I remove the Punctuation / Symbol pronunciation list and replace it with the default so I can start over?  If I can, how would this be done? 
Also, does anything need to be changed in the, Grouping or, Levels, sections?
Thanks much.

Sent: Monday, March 01, 2021 9:40 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] Keyboard pronunciations

Brian, and Mike,

Kind regards

Quentin.

Hi Brian,

Brian

--
Quentin Christensen

Quentin Christensen

Here's the user guide entry for the punctuation / symbol pronunciation dialog: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#SymbolPronunciation

The way the levels work is that the symbol will normally be spoken at the level you set and higher.  So if you set it to "some" it will be read at 'some', 'most' and 'all'.  If you set it to 'all' it will only be read if the symbol level is 'all'.

Send actual symbol to synthesizer is useful if the synthesizer does something with it - for instance with a comma or a full stop, the synthesizer will generally insert a pause in the speech.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 12:54 AM Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
Hi Quentin,

Well, I thought I had done it the way you suggest but, the punctuation was still being spoken.  Can I remove the Punctuation / Symbol pronunciation list and replace it with the default so I can start over?  If I can, how would this be done? 
Thanks much.

Brian, and Mike,

Kind regards

Quentin.

Hi Brian,

Brian

--
Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

Mike B

How do I set the punctuation list back to its defaults so I can start over?  Thanks much.

Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2021 1:27 PM

Here's the user guide entry for the punctuation / symbol pronunciation dialog: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#SymbolPronunciation

The way the levels work is that the symbol will normally be spoken at the level you set and higher.  So if you set it to "some" it will be read at 'some', 'most' and 'all'.  If you set it to 'all' it will only be read if the symbol level is 'all'.

Send actual symbol to synthesizer is useful if the synthesizer does something with it - for instance with a comma or a full stop, the synthesizer will generally insert a pause in the speech.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 12:54 AM Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
Hi Quentin,

Thanks much.

Brian, and Mike,

Kind regards

Quentin.

Hi Brian,

Brian

--
Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen