Topics

Is there a way that I can tell the date a file was first placed in my computer, even if it's moved to another location or drive?

Kevin Minor

Hi.

To be honest, this is something I’m curious about. I get lots of music from a service, and I’d like to know when I got it. I am using details view, and I have the date created as my reference. Problem with that is if I move the file to another drive, the date changes to the time it was moved. Is there another date option that will work better?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie

The answer to this is not reliably if you're using copy and paste to move things around rather than cut and paste.

But, what you're probably really looking for is the Date Modified date, which will remain unchanged, even for copies, if you haven't literally messed with the file contents with editing software.  If you add the Date Modified column to your Details View you will see that very often the Date Modified is ages before the date created when it comes to copied files.

I just copied a file that I'd previously copied on the 4th of October (so I'm calling the one from October 4th "the original" in this case).  The copy's date created is today, but the Date Modified on both the original and today's copy is in November 2018.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

JM Casey

Hi.

I don’t really think so, although someone should prove me wrong if that’s incorrect. Maybe some kind of third party tracking/backup system could do this.

To be honest, this is something I’m curious about. I get lots of music from a service, and I’d like to know when I got it. I am using details view, and I have the date created as my reference. Problem with that is if I move the file to another drive, the date changes to the time it was moved. Is there another date option that will work better?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie

JM Casey

Interesting. I had sort of noticed this before and thought, ‘well that doesn’t really make sense does it?” and just forgot about it. But it actually does check out, now that I really think about it. You are creating a new file – with the old data.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 01:03 PM, JM Casey wrote:
You are creating a new file – with the old data.
-
Exactly.

And if you think about it, for a brand spankin' new file, whether that's created via download, or editing, or whatever, upon creation the creation date and last modified date are the same.

Then, if you edit/modify the file, but it is not copied and remains exactly where it started, the Date Modified will be updated and the Date Created will remain unchanged.  I have a lot of tutorials where the Date Modified is way more recent than the Date Created because I just keep editing them in place.

By contrast, I also have a number of files that have been copied to one or more places, but never touched as far as the contents being modified.  In those cases, the Date Modified remains the same on all of them and is whenever, way back when, they last had the content touched, while the Date Created shows the date that the copy came into existence, which is much more recent.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Micallef Michael at FITA

Find the audio file make right mouse click or press the context menu and hit enter on properties

.

FITA Logo

Michael Micallef
Officer in charge of ICT Accessibility Certification
and ICT Training for Persons with a Visual Impairment

Foundation for Information Technology Accessibility (FITA)

Email:
Office:
FB:

michael.micallef@...
+356 2599 2343
http://www.fitamalta.eu
http://on.fb.me/1hCRTAx

Kindly consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail

I don’t really think so, although someone should prove me wrong if that’s incorrect. Maybe some kind of third party tracking/backup system could do this.

To be honest, this is something I’m curious about. I get lots of music from a service, and I’d like to know when I got it. I am using details view, and I have the date created as my reference. Problem with that is if I move the file to another drive, the date changes to the time it was moved. Is there another date option that will work better?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie

Bill Powers

Brian,

I discovered a couple of years ago about the date created and date modified disparity. My W7 machine went south so took it to Best Buy. They cloned the drive so all my data was there. But when I looked at files I was going to open I saw the date created was 7/25/17 which ws the last time I had done a backup before the crash, but the date modified could be as far back as 9/9/99 or even older. I had always wondered why that could happen but now I know to trust the info more on the date modified which will tell me more about the age of thefile.

BP