Topics

installing win 10 from scratch, using thumb drive.

Hello all.

If I install win 10 from the boot media of a thumb drive, will I need sighted assistance?

I want to reformat the drive from scratch, and install win 10 on it.

Jacob Kruger

Mike, besides having needed help to, initially, get the PC too boot from the flash drive, I have done this multiple times, on multiple PC's/laptops, and, once it's booted up, from roundabout windows 180x, I could just hit ctrl + windows + enter, and have narrator start talking to me while I was formatting the drive initiating the installation, etc.,

Think I did, once or twice need to restart narrator at times, but, patience was a virtue as well, waiting for it to step through parts of the process, and, I've run through this process at least 10 times now, successfully.

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."

On 2020-02-12 03:17 PM, Mike Capelle wrote:

Hello all.

If I install win 10 from the boot media of a thumb drive, will I need sighted assistance?

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Getting the machine to boot from USB is the only area I can see an issue with here.

Once it has booted from USB, you can use Narator and the setup will allow you to create new partitions etc.

There is normally a function key to press when it is starting up to bring up the boot options menu, USB will be one of those.

If you can find this out and it is bringing up those options, you can sometimes use a trial and error method to see if it is booting from usb e.g. arrow down twice on the startup options, press return, wait for a couple of minutes and then do your windows+ctrl+enter and see if the Narator starts up.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Capelle
Sent: 12 February 2020 13:18
To: win10@groups.io
Subject: [win10] installing win 10 from scratch, using thumb drive.

Hello all.

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

Now if I do this, will it still create thos system and OMEM partitions?

I want one big c drive.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 7:33 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] installing win 10 from scratch, using thumb drive.

Getting the machine to boot from USB is the only area I can see an issue with here.

Once it has booted from USB, you can use Narator and the setup will allow you to create new partitions etc.

There is normally a function key to press when it is starting up to bring up the boot options menu, USB will be one of those.

If you can find this out and it is bringing up those options, you can sometimes use a trial and error method to see if it is booting from usb e.g. arrow down twice on the startup options, press return, wait for a couple of minutes and then do your windows+ctrl+enter and see if the Narator starts up.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Capelle

Hello all.

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

Richard Kuzma

I believe it will.

Just leave them alone, I believe it create two more very small partitions.

It controls windows and the drive info so windows knows whats going on with the drive.

Correct me if I am wrong, please

Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:45 AM

I want one big c drive.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via Groups.Io

Hello all.

Then, there  is o point in reforatting.

Yes it will.

Windows needs the efi to boot, its also going to need a recovery  for resetting.

These are not that big, you will loose around .5gb, thats 1 cd size roughly its not that much.

Anyway you will lose a ferther half gb for the ntfs filesystem anyway.

On 13/02/2020 2:44 am, Mike Capelle wrote:

I want one big c drive.

Hello all.

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

They are so small that I just wouldn’t worry about it!

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Capelle
Sent: 12 February 2020 13:45

I want one big c drive.

Hello all.