Topics

I'm wondering what happened that wouldn't allow me to delete two folders in Windows 10

Kevin Minor

Hi.

I’ve never encountered this situation before, and I’m curious about why it happened.

I download music from a paid service. When I get the files, I run them through Switch, an audio converter to lower their bitrates to save space. I have it delete the original files once converted, so the folders they were in should be empty. Until almost two weeks ago, I’ve never encountered a problem. Two weeks ago tomorrow, I was doing the usual thing. I check to make sure I have downloaded everything for the day by referencing everything with an email that I get. I got to two folders that I got, and, knowing I had them, attempted to delete them. Problem was I couldn’t. Windows reported an error, and I could try again. I did more investigating, and the result was Windows wouldn’t boot, and it was as if the SSD had nothing on it. Today I redownloaded the day the fun started, and the exact same happened with the two problem folders. Thanks to the Geek Squad, the problem folders are gone. I just downloaded today’s content, and it went without a hitch.

My simple question is what happened? The two problem folders should only contain .mp3 files. Tomorrow I’m calling the music service and giving them a heads up.

One last thing to report. I called Geek Squad twice. The first level 2 dude I dealt with considered solving the problem by hiding the folders so Windows Explorer wouldn’t display them. Hmmmm. Wonder why I couldn’t create a new folder with the old name? Needless to say, I was not happy.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly