Topics

how do I unhide file extensions?

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

In the latest version of windows 10 how do I get file extensions to show?

Thanks.

Troy

see:  https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/48412

The part near the very end, that discusses toggling off the setting to hide extensions for known file types, is what you're seeking to do.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Ann Byrne

Isn't there a shortcut key as well?

At 05:05 PM 2/22/2021, you wrote:
see:Â Â <https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/48412>https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/48412The part near the very end, that discusses toggling off the setting to hide extensions for known file types, is what you're seeking to do.--

Journalism 101: If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

     ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Ann Byrne

The ribbon notes say alt-v, h, f

At 05:05 PM 2/22/2021, you wrote:
see:Â Â <https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/48412>https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/48412The part near the very end, that discusses toggling off the setting to hide extensions for known file types, is what you're seeking to do.--

Journalism 101: If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

     ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Mike B

Hi Troy,

Here you go:

1. Open File Explorer, here are 2 ways you can access File Explorer.
A. From your desktop press enter on the, ThisPC, icon if you have it showing.
B. Press, Windows key + E from anywhere on the computer.

2. Press, Alt + F, then press the letter, O, to open Folder Options, now Control + tab to the, View page / tab.

3. Tab once or twice to, Advanced Settings Tree View, press the letter, H , to take you to, Hidden files and folders, if closed right arrow to open.

4. Down arrow to, Hide extensions for known file types, it'll be reported as either, On or Off.  Use the spacebar to toggle this to your choice.

5. If you make any changes tab to, Apply, press the spacebar, then tab to, Okay, press enter to save and close.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.