Topics

how do I unhide file extensions?

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

In the latest version of windows 10 how do I get file extensions to show?

Thanks.

Troy

see:  https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/48412

The part near the very end, that discusses toggling off the setting to hide extensions for known file types, is what you're seeking to do.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

Journalism 101:  If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Ann Byrne

Isn't there a shortcut key as well?

At 05:05 PM 2/22/2021, you wrote:
see:Â Â <https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/48412>https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/48412The part near the very end, that discusses toggling off the setting to hide extensions for known file types, is what you're seeking to do.--

Journalism 101: If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

Ann Byrne

The ribbon notes say alt-v, h, f

At 05:05 PM 2/22/2021, you wrote:
see:Â Â <https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/48412>https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/48412The part near the very end, that discusses toggling off the setting to hide extensions for known file types, is what you're seeking to do.--

Journalism 101: If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

Mike B

Hi Troy,

Here you go:

1. Open File Explorer, here are 2 ways you can access File Explorer.
A. From your desktop press enter on the, ThisPC, icon if you have it showing.
B. Press, Windows key + E from anywhere on the computer.

2. Press, Alt + F, then press the letter, O, to open Folder Options, now Control + tab to the, View page / tab.

3. Tab once or twice to, Advanced Settings Tree View, press the letter, H , to take you to, Hidden files and folders, if closed right arrow to open.

4. Down arrow to, Hide extensions for known file types, it'll be reported as either, On or Off.  Use the spacebar to toggle this to your choice.

5. If you make any changes tab to, Apply, press the spacebar, then tab to, Okay, press enter to save and close.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 2:53 PM
Subject: [win10] how do I unhide file extensions?

Hi all,

In the latest version of windows 10 how do I get file extensions to show?

Thanks.

Troy

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 08:30 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
-
And while that is correct, I am not certain that it applies globally to all files.  It may, but I am not sure.

I have always instructed those who want all file extensions to show to turn this on (by turning OFF the Hide extensions for all file types) in Control Panel.

You could be the test case, seeing if you make that change using file explorer when looking at a specific folder causes it to propagate to all files in all folders.
--

Journalism 101:  If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

g melconian

Bryan, that is how I would approach it. That way you  would have access to all file extensions. 

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 6:45 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] how do I unhide file extensions?

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 08:30 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:

-
And while that is correct, I am not certain that it applies globally to all files.  It may, but I am not sure.

I have always instructed those who want all file extensions to show to turn this on (by turning OFF the Hide extensions for all file types) in Control Panel.

You could be the test case, seeing if you make that change using file explorer when looking at a specific folder causes it to propagate to all files in all folders.
--

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 10:03 PM, g melconian wrote:
Bryan, that is how I would approach it.
-
As will I, still, going forward.

But, I just did some quick testing of my own, and ALT+V,HF used in any random File Explorer window, appears to be toggling the same setting, globally, that is tweaked in Control Panel, File Explorer Options, View Tab, Hide extensions for known file types.

It also appears that using HH instead of HF flips between the two radio buttons for showing versus not showing hidden files and folders.

When Windows gives multiple ways to do the same thing there is not one of them that's "more right" than another.  Take your pick.
--