Topics

Google drive question

Ketan Kothari

Dear Friends,

Sorry for this off-topic question.  Is their any general tech list for the blind?

My question is:  I have been repeatedly backing up my WhatsApp chats from my Android phone onto google drive but can’t find them.  How do I get them?  I am informed that the back-up is complete.  Please help.

With best wishes,

Ketan

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sarah k Alawami

Simple answer, you won't, not until you reinstall what's app onto your android phone. They will not transfer onto iOs, I learned that the hard way last year, lost 2 years of messages that way.

On 20 May 2020, at 7:45, Ketan Kothari wrote:

Dear Friends,

Sorry for this off-topic question.  Is their any general tech list for the blind?

My question is:  I have been repeatedly backing up my WhatsApp chats from my Android phone onto google drive but can’t find them.  How do I get them?  I am informed that the back-up is complete.  Please help.

With best wishes,

Ketan

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Ketan Kothari

Dear Sarah,

Actually, I am asking about computers. Maybe I was not clear about my
question: I have backed up huge chunks of WhatsApp chats onto google
drive. and I am informed that the backup was successful. However, I
am unable to see it anywhere on google drive: neither on Android
phone, nor on IOS nor on the laptop. I find that strange. I was told
by someone that in settings on PC I should go to manage apps and check
"show hidden data" but I for one am unable to find the setting on
google drive.

Please help.

Thank you.

Ketan

--
Ketan Kothari
Phone: [r] 02228283281,

I presume you named the backup file yourself, but if not, find out what they call it.  Then search on Google Drive for it via the Google Drive web interface.

There is no such thing as a hidden file or folder in that context, at least not from the owner.

Sarah k Alawami

Exactly. You will not be able to see the chats on google drive. They are hidden fromm view. Same with iOs if you back up there to iCloud as well. This was the case for me in 2018 when I last backed up a chat to what's app.

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 11:39 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
You will not be able to see the chats on google drive.
Sarah, if these are backed up to a file I can assure you, absolutely, that the file itself will be visible.  Google Drive does not hide files from the owner.

The original question seems to me about not being able to find the file, not the individual chats that are backed up in it.   I've got scads of different databases backed up on Google Drive, and cannot see their contents there, but absolutely can see the file in which they are stored.

Sarah k Alawami

Actually it's not a file. It's. a zipped up folder that is backed up to what's app. I believe it's also encrypted or something like it so it can only be seen and restored by what's app. Trust me, you won't find it. I've looked in my google drive folders for what's app back ups and they are not there, yet when I restore my what's app I get asked to restore from my google drive and the chats are indeed there along with any media that was uploaded to us.