From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Powers
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 7:27 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Getting to Version 20H2 ?

Hi List,

I’m setting up a Win 10 laptop for someone which is currently on version 1909 but I know that 1909 either is or will be at end of life. Win Update shows no path yet to 20H2. Should I be concerned 20H2 hasn’t arrived yet or is there still time for it to show up before EOL?

Thanks,

BP

Martin McCormick

I have a question about version numbers. After running
systeminfo, the results say:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
OS Version: 10.0.19041 N/A Build 19041
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free

Original Install Date: 12/4/2020, 2:13:26 AM
System Boot Time: 4/27/2021, 8:52:14 PM

Unless I am in the middle of something, I usually tell
the system to go ahead and update now any time I get a
notification of a new update coming since these usually plug
security holes and fix bugs. Does this sound like the version
number one should be using at this time?

Thank you.

Martin McCormick
"Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

Provided that the computer is seen is ready for Version 2004/20H2, it'll
receive 20H2. Things can change based on when Version 21H1 shows up, as
21H1
is 20H2 is minor bits enabled.

Bill Powers

Joseph,

Thanks for your response on getting to version 20H2. I keep going to “check for Updates” and when I see any update available (not optional ones since they might be questionable) and I let those updates download & install. So far the machine is staying at 1909 though.

Thanks,

BP

Hi,
Yes, although 20H2's build number is 19042.

[...]

Feature updates are optional unless the version one is using is close to end of life (Version 1909 is close to end of lie for consumers).

Thanks for your response on getting to version 20H2. I keep going to “check for Updates” and when I see any update available (not optional ones since they might be questionable) and I let those updates download & install. So far the machine is staying at 1909 though.

Thanks,

BP

Fanus

Hello Joseph
I have a similar sort of problem. On my system tray it shows that my pc must
install upgrades but after it then restarts it tells me that it could not
finish the update and that I should click on a baloon to see the reasons.
There is nowhere to click, so I do not know if this has to do with jaws
starting. My current built is 18363. Do you have any suggestions how to fix
this. I tried to instal with the creation tool and also from the update item
in settings but with no success. It is a pc which I obtained in 2011 but it
has 8 GB ram, an Intel I5 64 bit processor and Windows 10 64 bit.
Regards
Fanus

[...]

Sometimes update failure reasons are shown in Settings/Update and
Security/Windows Update (you need to use touch cursor to read this screen).
Can you tell us what WinVer says? If it says 18363.1500 or higher, then you
do have the latest update for Version 1909. You can also try:
1. Run System File Checker (SFC) and see what it says (if it says "no
integrity violations", then move onto the next step).
2. Do a repair install (you'll need a Version 1909 ISO to do this).
Hopefully a repair install should solve this issue.

Also, based on what you told us, it looks like Version 2004/20H2 is shown as
an optional update but cannot be installed to completion (by now everyone
should see 2004/20H2 as an optional feature update, but if the system
(hardware and software) is not compatible, then the next step is a forced
installation, which isn't working according to your description).

[...]

Jacob Kruger

FWIW, partly since had multiple machines to install this on, I just used the windows 10 media creation tool to download the .iso image of the 20H2 build of windows, used 7zip to extract it's contents on both machines, and, ran the install/update manually from there.

Only issue with this is that you then end up with the additional "Windows10Upgrade" folder in the root of your OS drive, but, not too much of an issue right now in terms of hard-drive space, etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

"Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@...> writes:
Hi,

Provided that the computer is seen is ready for Version 2004/20H2,
it'll receive 20H2. Things can change based on when Version 21H1 shows
up, as
21H1
is 20H2 is minor bits enabled.

Fanus

Hello Joseph
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately Winver shows 18363.836. Nothing happens
when I run SFC. So it seems my system Is not compatible for the update.
Regards
Fanus

[...]

More towards really out of date I'm afraid. In this case, I advise either:
1. Download the latest cumulative update package for Version 1909 that will
update you to 18363.1500.
2. Get the latest 1909 or 20H2 ISO and install it over whatever version you
have.

[...]

Thanks so much but now I am a bit stupid. How do I download the package
stated in your number 1.
Regards
Fanus

[...]

tim

Try this,

win key type troubleshooter hit enter. Now tab to additional troubleshooters and enter. Then tab arrow down to window update. See if it fixes or tells your more.

On 4/28/2021 2:39 PM, Fanus wrote:
[...]

I recently took my old Acer laptop from I think 2012 out of the cabinet. It was on a Windows 10 version about 2 years back, I ran Windows Update and it updated several times, it did not go to 20H2 right away, but eventually I was given the option to update to 20H2 even though this laptop is from the fall of 2012, over 8 years old. I had upgraded the hard drive with an SSD many years ago and while I admit there isn't much installed on it, it boots up in about 8 or 10 seconds and is very responsive, just the battery only lasts half an hour or 45 mi nutes now, but plugged in it still works perfectly well.

[...]

I would just Google "Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, go to that website and run it.

[...]

Hello Sieghard
That is what puzzles me. The same time I obtained this pc I also bought a
Nettop with more or less the same specs. It updated to the lates version of
windows without any hickups, so I can't think why this pc won't.
Fortunately, it is no big deal because I have the Nettop and a fairly new
laptop but I just love struggling with stuff and that is why I shall keep on
trying to overcome this pc's nonsense.
Regards
Fanus

[...]

Hello Tim and Sieghard
I first tried Tim's suggestion and it fixed an update error. Then I ran upgrade assistant but it quit after a while but it gave a code number. I emailed Microsoft support and I hope I shall get a response.
Regards
Fanus