Topics

sticky Fine-Grained Control Over the Group Messages You Receive from Groups.io

Cher,

           I need to follow-up with Mark Fletcher, as I'm not finding a "Follow Topic" link in my digests or individual messages that I've collected in recent months.

           There has got to be a way to mark a specific topic as followed at the original message level, or else it makes no sense.  Something seems to have gone awry here.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.413

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Cher,

           I now have an answer back, and it makes infinite sense.

           The links I listed before are for your random generic message or digest when no advanced features are set up.

            If you set up "Following Only" along with "First Message Also" the first message you receive will have a "Follow This Topic" link where the "Mute This Topic" link is in a regular message, because other than the first message, all the rest are automatically effectively muted if you don't elect to follow the topic.

            In the followed messages you receive in the position where "Mute This Topic" would appear in a regular message will be replaced with "Unfollow this Topic," which effectively mutes a topic when you stop following it with the "Following Only" feature enabled.

            Mark is avoiding putting in place holders or links that make no sense based upon the settings you have set up to control message flow.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.413

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Cher

Thanks so much for all the background work to make the advanced preferences configurable and workable for all of us! This should be very nice! Thanks for the gfreat explanations.

[...]

         You're quite welcome.    It actually makes me feel good when folks try out the advanced features since so many of "the usual complaints" regarding mailing lists is that people get far more falling in to their inbox than they'd like, and in many cases there is no mechanism to control that flow, let alone the kind of controls that Groups.io offers.

          What makes this even more peculiar from my end is that I don't participate via the e-mail interface.  I far prefer the web forum interface, but given what I've found when trying to navigate it with a screen reader I can see why using e-mail in a familiar e-mail client or e-mail web interface would be far preferable for someone using a screen reader.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.413

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

It's clear that this topic needs a bump again, and I intend to bump it every time there's a complaint about traffic from this group.   It is entirely within a member's control to limit the number, types, and timing of messages received from any Groups.io group.

The original post, where I outline the steps, can be found at:  https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/15639

There is subsequent Q&A in that topic which bears occasional re-reading but there's no sense in repeating what's on the archive.  If you wish to read all the back and forth then do a screen reader search for "View All" once the message is up and you should land on the link for "View All XX Messages In Topic" where the XX is the message count and can, of course, change if additional messages get added.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

By the way, member Timothy's reworking of my original instructions, which note that your browser screen needs to be maximized in order for all this to work and how to insure that it is before starting, is here:  https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/16575
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Looks like it's about time for my sorta quarterly rerun of the following information:  Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io

     You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

               ~ Anne Lamott

Time for the refresher notice on this information, since the last time it was posted was last November.

Groups.io users have pretty exquisite control over which messages they do or do not receive for each and every group to which they're subscribed.  Some are really simple to use (e.g., Mute this Topic) while others require a bit more effort (e.g., setting up topic preview).   But everyone should know about the tools at their disposal and use those when desired, as what different members may wish to see or not see is a very personal decision.   Download either one of the documents whose links are provided below.  The only difference is the file format, MS-Word docx or PDF:

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx)

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io  (PDF)

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Hi everyone,

I’m going to make this thread a sticky one (if needed) in hopes that folks can be reminded as to how to control topic “subscriptions”.

Time for the refresher notice on this information, since the last time it was posted was last November.

Groups.io users have pretty exquisite control over which messages they do or do not receive for each and every group to which they're subscribed.  Some are really simple to use (e.g., Mute this Topic) while others require a bit more effort (e.g., setting up topic preview).   But everyone should know about the tools at their disposal and use those when desired, as what different members may wish to see or not see is a very personal decision.   Download either one of the documents whose links are provided below.  The only difference is the file format, MS-Word docx or PDF:

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx)

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io  (PDF)

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Brian,
Time for the refresher notice on this information, since the last time it was posted was last November.
Hmmm, any update to the document itself or are you just reposting it?
I've already downloaded it so that's why I'm asking.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 11:55 AM, Marcio wrote:
update to the document itself or are you just reposting it?
Strictly a reminder reposting.  The last significant updates to this were in May 2018 when I was assisted by another member who customized some of the material such that it was more specific to navigating with a screen reader than my original had been.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss