From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2020 10:57 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] finding lenovo serial number.

This probably won't be of much help, as it does require sight, but if it's not on the sticker that is visible on the bottom of the laptop then it's generally on a sticker that's normally hidden in the battery compartment.  Taking the battery out reveals that sticker.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Mike,

          Then it's on a sticker on the case, somewhere, most likely the back or possibly on the inside of one of the side panels, usually the one that's the "easy to remove" one for service.

          I have never found any reliable way to obtain make and actual model, or serial number other than by looking for those stickers.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

tim

Use NVDA screen reader in Lenovo vantage program. You can tab, arrow and space bar everything you want.

On 10/10/2020 11:35 AM, Mike Capelle wrote:
Hello, today I called Lenovo to find my serial number, well, using the
Lenovo vantage, I can not find it. Where do I go to find it?

Gerald Levy

Try running Belarc Advisor, which will provide a detailed profile of your computer:

https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

Gerald

On 10/10/2020 11:58 AM, Mike Capelle wrote:

I am running a desktop, idea centre.

This probably won't be of much help, as it does require sight, but if it's not on the sticker that is visible on the bottom of the laptop then it's generally on a sticker that's normally hidden in the battery compartment.  Taking the battery out reveals that sticker.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 01:04 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:
Try running Belarc Advisor
-
I had forgotten that Belarc Advisor does provide an accurate serial number in its report's System Model section.  The label for same is System Serial Number.  What it does not provide (and I have yet to find any utility that does) is the correct system model number.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

This Lenovo is a core i5 tenth gen processor, 8 gb of ram, expandable to 32 gb.

1 tb hd, non ssd. Is there a way I can upgrade to an ssd? If so, is it easy to do

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 01:04 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:

Try running Belarc Advisor

-
I had forgotten that Belarc Advisor does provide an accurate serial number in its report's System Model section.  The label for same is System Serial Number.  What it does not provide (and I have yet to find any utility that does) is the correct system model number.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Upgrading to an SSD is dirt simple, particularly for a desktop machine that's easy to open.

All you have to do is get drive cloning software (and there are myriad choices, I most recently used EaseUS To Do Backup Free, which has a cloning option, but that I do not believe is particularly accessible), install it on your system, clone your current system drive to the SSD, then swap them out.

We're getting way, way, way off-topic now, and we were kind of off topic to start with.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

tim

You need to step back and read those emails or grab more caffiene of choice.

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 02:10 PM, tim wrote:
You need to step back and read those emails or grab more caffiene of choice.
-
Perhaps you think so, but I know all too well that sometimes the most efficient way to get information is via sighted assistance, and sometimes it's the only way.

And in either of those situations, it's your best path to the ends you seek.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Howard Traxler

I think Belarc's advisor gives you that information.

On 10/10/2020 11:12 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Mike,

          Then it's on a sticker on the case, somewhere, most likely the back or possibly on the inside of one of the side panels, usually the one that's the "easy to remove" one for service.

          I have never found any reliable way to obtain make and actual model, or serial number other than by looking for those stickers.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

Brian Zolo

Hey there, Michael, you can go to your commandline and type the following command.  Wmic bios get serialnumber and then press enter.  Brian Zolo Gahanna, Ohio

Hello, today I called Lenovo to find my serial number, well, using the Lenovo vantage, I can not find it. Where do I go to find it?

valiant8086

Hi.

In vantage, tab once to make sure you've focused the UI, then hit ctrl+home to go to the top, down arrow till you find device. Hit space on it. Now press h till you get to "my device" down arrow from there it says graphic serial blahblah.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com
On 10/10/2020 11:35 AM, Mike Capelle wrote:

Hello, today I called Lenovo to find my serial number, well, using the Lenovo vantage, I can not find it. Where do I go to find it?

Edited

I found the number, let me know what you guys  think of this system.

lenovo serial number:

(redacted)

In vantage, tab once to make sure you've focused the UI, then hit ctrl+home to go to the top, down arrow till you find device. Hit space on it. Now press h till you get to "my device" down arrow from there it says graphic serial blahblah.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com

On 10/10/2020 11:35 AM, Mike Capelle wrote:

Hello, today I called Lenovo to find my serial number, well, using the Lenovo vantage, I can not find it. Where do I go to find it?

Edited

Note: serial number redacted from archive.

Hi,

I’m replying not as a member, but as the forum head list representative. Please DO NOT (ever) reveal your computer’s serial number in order to protect your privacy online. Letting us know the brand and model is fine, but please avoid disclosing exact serial numbers (same goes with product keys).

I found the number, let me know what you guys  think of this system.

lenovo serial number:

MJ0D5129

In vantage, tab once to make sure you've focused the UI, then hit ctrl+home to go to the top, down arrow till you find device. Hit space on it. Now press h till you get to "my device" down arrow from there it says graphic serial blahblah.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com

On 10/10/2020 11:35 AM, Mike Capelle wrote:

Hello, today I called Lenovo to find my serial number, well, using the Lenovo vantage, I can not find it. Where do I go to find it?

My apologies, I did not know this was a privacy thing, is there a way to delete the message with the serial number?

The computer is a tenth gen i5, 8 gb ram, upgradable to 32 gb, 1 tb HD, going to swap it with an SSD.

However, I do not see the 2020windows update available for my machine on windows update.

I am currently running version 1909

[...]

I might be able to redact the serial number (quickly, that is).

As for getting May 2020 Update (or upcoming October 2020 Update) on this particular system, the usual answer applies: depends on what Microsoft and Lenovo says.

[...]

So, does this mean, this machine may not be able to upgrade? Because this is a 2019 machine.

[...]

As a general statement, unless your computer is ancient, and I mean ancient, there is absolutely no reason to believe it will not be able to keep getting Windows 10 Version Updates.

I have yet to encounter one that won't if it was produced after Windows 8 came on the scene.  Most of those which were produced in the Windows 7 era, but not all, are still updating just fine.

There will be all kinds of announcements when Microsoft decides a certain class of processor will no longer be able to get Feature Updates.  It will also probably make the popular press, as well.