Topics

File explorer, at times, taking +-5 minutes to launch

Jacob Kruger

Hi there

Know this is a bit of an odd thing, and, it's not consistent, so, while am primarily hoping it doesn't relate to hardware issues on the motherboard, etc., just thought would ask if this rings bells for anyone, or if you might have suggestions on how to try track down the source of an issue like this.

Basically, on my primary desktop PC, running windows 10 64 bit 2004 (OS Build 19041), every now and then, for a boot-up session or two, when I hit the windows key + E key combination to launch file explorer, it might take up to 5 minutes before it comes up, no matter what else I carry on with in the meantime.

Now, I reloaded this machine from scratch roundabout 1 and a half months ago, after having installed a brand new 450Gb SSD drive for the primary operating system drive, and, my secondary data drive is a mechanical 2Tb HDD, which does, at times, take like 2 seconds to spin up into active mode if I already have file explorer open and browse to it, but, think that's more to do with windows 10 power plans taking control of things, and, don't think it could cause this to happen all the time?

Anyway, thoughts on what I can try to use to figure out what could cause this to happen occasionally, or how to avoid it, since it's rather irritating at times.

For example, if I use an alternative file explorer software package called Free commander XE, then it is quite comfortable to browse files immediately, even when windows own file explorer is not cooperating, so really don't think this is a hardware-related issue?

Thanks

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Chris

You could try disconnecting the hdd to ensure that is not the problem  or if its something else

[...]

I'd definitely be doing disk health checks, on both disks, using the utility of your choosing for doing so.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Kevin Cussick

thanks for Your post, I get this as well, using windows10 home 64bit 20h2and nvda. it only happens when I boot up from cold once a week. but sorry do not have a fix this has just started happening so expect that it might be last weeks update but I suspect it will get fixed. and I thought it might just be me. using a lenovo all in one idea centre I think it is.

On 23/02/2021 07:39, Jacob Kruger wrote:
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I also applied last week's update and explorer takes my normal 1-2 seconds to launch. Have you done the usual trroubleshooting steps to make sure nothingn is wrong?

On 23 Feb 2021, at 14:03, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:

[...]

just in case, use cristel disk info and check both hard drives to see
if there are any errors.
this program is a portable program which you can get from
portableapps.com
it gives you values for each thing of your hard drive like
uncorrectable sectors and so on.
i would check that 2 tb hard drive first but even ssd you cant say.

I also applied last week's update and explorer takes my normal 1-2
seconds to launch. Have you done the usual trroubleshooting steps to
make sure nothingn is wrong?

[website.](http://www.tffppodcast.com)

Check out my [adventures with a shadow
machine.](http://tffppodcast.com/shadow)

Our [discord](http://discord.tffppodcast.com) is where you will know
when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum) Feel free to give
the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit [my main lbry
page](http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum) and my [tffp lbry
page](http://lbry.tv/@tffp) You will also be able to buy some of my
products and eBooks there.

[here](Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast)

[...]

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Jacob Kruger

Ok, Brian, windows always tells me the following:

"Error Checking (bigboy (D:)) dialog You don't need to scan this driveWe haven't found any errors on this drive. You can still scan the drive for errors if you want."

When in any case ran check yesterday, it did tell me that there had been errors that required fixing, so, got it to do that, and when re-ran check this morning, nothing showed up.

If run it through crystal disk info, there is one entry in result list that might be relevant:

ID: BB; Attribute Name: Reported Uncorrectable Errors; Current: 1; Worst: 1; Threshold: 0; Raw Values: 0000000001E6

So, think am going to force error check on both disks on like a weekly basis, and see if anything starts to seem to show worse forms of behaviour or results.

Thanks guys

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2021-02-24 01:53 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Pele West

Hi

I often have to wait ages if i press Windows Key+E to open File Explorer. But I have created shortcuts to my C: and D: drives, so if I use them, it opens straight away.

Pele West

Jacob Kruger

Pele, what do you use as the shortcut target?

Ask since, if I was waiting and fire up windows key + R, and, type in something like:

explorer c:

It will also not come up immediately?

Thanks

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

On 2021-02-24 11:36 AM, Pele West wrote:
Hi

I often have to wait ages if i press Windows Key+E to open File Explorer. But I have created shortcuts to my C: and D: drives, so if I use them, it opens straight away.

Pele West

Pele West

Hi Jacob

To create a shortcut to a drive:

1. Press Windows Key+E (hopefully it will not be too slow)

2. Arrow down to the required drive

3. Open the Context Menu

4. Arrow down to Create a Shortcut

5. It will display a message about not being able to create a shortcut, do you want it on the Desktop? Press Enter.

You then have a shortcut to the drive on the Desktop.

I have renamed the shortcuts and created shortcut keys to my drives.

Pele

Jacob Kruger

Ok, replicating that, the shortcut is the following for my C: drive:

C:\

So, while can't imagine that that would otherwise open faster than the explorer c: I was trying from run dialogue, will bear this in mind, in case, for future try-outs.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

On 2021-02-24 02:43 PM, Pele West wrote:
Hi Jacob

To create a shortcut to a drive:

1. Press Windows Key+E (hopefully it will not be too slow)

2. Arrow down to the required drive

3. Open the Context Menu

4. Arrow down to Create a Shortcut

5. It will display a message about not being able to create a shortcut, do you want it on the Desktop? Press Enter.

You then have a shortcut to the drive on the Desktop.

I have renamed the shortcuts and created shortcut keys to my drives.

Pele

David W Wood \(G3YXX\)

Pele

As I have quite a lot on my desktop, I just use:

Windows+r (run)
Drive:\

ATB

David W Wood

1. Press Windows Key+E (hopefully it will not be too slow)

2. Arrow down to the required drive

3. Open the Context Menu

4. Arrow down to Create a Shortcut

5. It will display a message about not being able to create a shortcut, do you want it on the Desktop? Press Enter.

You then have a shortcut to the drive on the Desktop.

I have renamed the shortcuts and created shortcut keys to my drives.

Pele

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 11:15 AM, David W Wood \(G3YXX\) wrote:
Drive:\
-
And, if you want to save yourself one keystroke, even the backslash after the drive letter plus colon is not needed.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

       ~Albert Einstein

Pele West

Hi David

I have created keyboard shortcuts for my drives so, although they are on the desktop, I don't actually launch them from there.

pele

David W Wood \(G3YXX\)

Is that then through a hot key?

ATB