Topics

favorite free text editors?

Dean Martineau

I do a lot with text. I use EdSharp, and that’s my favorite one, but my secondary one is NoteTab, and I think I may be able to do better. I look for lots of keyboard shortcuts, powerful text processing perhaps including regular expressions, and probably more features I’ll know when I see them. I use JAWS usually.  Any preferences?

Thought-provoking reading: http://bahaiteachings.org

Micallef Michael at FITA

Hi

Notetab+++ is excellent I use it myself and for me it does whatever you want and it is frequently updated.

Personally, what |I’m looking for nowadays is a good PIM similar to the azzcardfile database.

FITA Logo

Michael Micallef
Officer in charge of ICT Accessibility Certification
and ICT Training for Persons with a Visual Impairment

Foundation for Information Technology Accessibility (FITA)

Email:
Office:
URL:
FB:

michael.micallef@... 
+356 2599 2343
http://www.fitamalta.eu
http://on.fb.me/1hCRTAx

Kindly consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dean Martineau via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 6:19 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] favorite free text editors?

CAUTION: This email originated from OUTSIDE the Government Email Infrastructure. DO NOT CLICK LINKS or OPEN attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

I do a lot with text. I use EdSharp, and that’s my favorite one, but my secondary one is NoteTab, and I think I may be able to do better. I look for lots of keyboard shortcuts, powerful text processing perhaps including regular expressions, and probably more features I’ll know when I see them. I use JAWS usually.  Any preferences?

JM Casey

Notepad++ is the one I use besides the standard windows notepad. Notepad++ has a lot of text processing, and there are even plugins written for it that can add more features, though I don’t use any of those and don’t know if any of them p resent accessibility challenges. Usually notepad is all I need, however notepad++ has some ability to convert characters and remove blanks, which I find useful for resaving files to read on a braille display, and it can also automatically organise ordered lists in various fashions (numerically, alphabetically, etc), which I sometimes find useful.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dean Martineau
Sent: February 16, 2021 12:19 PM

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 03:57 PM, JM Casey wrote:
Notepad++
-
Given the original list of desired features, I can't imagine that anything could be better than Notepad++.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

Journalism 101:  If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Jacob Kruger

My one issue with notepad++ is, sorry to say it, that the plugins management interface is not accessible as such?

As in, I can search for a plugin, but, don't seem to be able to initiate installation thereof?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."

On 2021-02-16 10:57 PM, JM Casey wrote:

Notepad++ is the one I use besides the standard windows notepad. Notepad++ has a lot of text processing, and there are even plugins written for it that can add more features, though I don’t use any of those and don’t know if any of them p resent accessibility challenges. Usually notepad is all I need, however notepad++ has some ability to convert characters and remove blanks, which I find useful for resaving files to read on a braille display, and it can also automatically organise ordered lists in various fashions (numerically, alphabetically, etc), which I sometimes find useful.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dean Martineau
Sent: February 16, 2021 12:19 PM

Patrick Le Baudour

Hi,

after testing a bit, with nvda at least it can be done, but there is list without tab stop, so I had to find and select it  through object  navigation then virtual mouse click. after that, it's a matter of checking the wanted plugins, and an install button appears.

-- Patrick

Jacob Kruger

Ok, using object navigation, if I kept going through siblings to the right, when I heard it mention a "tab tab control", and then used the route mouse cursor to navigator object, and carried out a mouse click, it focused on the list - thanks.

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791

On 2021-02-17 05:26 PM, Patrick Le Baudour wrote:
Hi,

after testing a bit, with nvda at least it can be done, but there is list without tab stop, so I had to find and select it  through object  navigation then virtual mouse click. after that, it's a matter of checking the wanted plugins, and an install button appears.

-- Patrick

Sharon Hooley

I didn't know that Edsharp still works.  Do I still find it in Jamal's Bio on EmpowermentZon

2/17/2021 8:59 AM, Jacob Kruger wrote:

Ok, using object navigation, if I kept going through siblings to the right, when I heard it mention a "tab tab control", and then used the route mouse cursor to navigator object, and carried out a mouse click, it focused on the list - thanks.

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Hi,

-- Patrick

Jacob Kruger

The current source for downloading, etc. is here:

https://github.com/EmpowermentZone/EdSharp

Jump to the readme section using headings, and you'll find the download link there.

It's still my primary source code editor, FWIW.

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

On 2021-02-19 06:18 AM, Sharon Hooley wrote:

I didn't know that Edsharp still works.  Do I still find it in Jamal's Bio on EmpowermentZon

2/17/2021 8:59 AM, Jacob Kruger wrote:

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Hi,

-- Patrick