Topics

Fatal Installer Error

Sharon

I got a fatal installer error message but I wasn’t installing anything.

I shut the window because I got frightened without reading the message.

Could I find that message anywhere.

I’m not sure if it was a windows message or some other program message, and I wouldn’t know how to really tell the difference. Could it be in notifications, and if so, where would I go to look?

Sharon

Quentin Christensen

Without knowing the contents of the error message, it's basically impossible to tell what it was.

It could have been a legitimate program which updates in the background.  Or, as I sometimes do - something I started six hours ago and got distracted and forgot.  Or there is of course a chance of something malicious..  If you're worried, run a virus scan.

When you get an error like that, depending on the situation and who you might send it to, you can:
- Take a screenshot (Press the print screen key) - you can then paste that into an email to send somewhere (not accessible, but potentially useful to a sighted person).
- On some dialogs you can press CONTROL+C and it will copy the text from the dialog.  I only discovered that relatively recently.  For instance, I just opened notepad, typed one character and pressed alt+f4.  When the dialog querying whether to save came up, I pressed control+c.  Here is what it copied:

[Window Title]
Notepad

[Main Instruction]
Do you want to save changes to Untitled?

[Save] [Don't Save] [Cancel]

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 04:40 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Without knowing the contents of the error message, it's basically impossible to tell what it was.
-
This bears repeating, and repeating, an repeating.   Any time an error message box is encountered, it is absolutely vital that you capture its content, by whatever method or methods you choose.  A potential assistant cannot be of any real assistance otherwise.

Also, just FYI, by the time you get a fatal error it means that whatever was running that triggered it was stopped dead in its tracks and is no longer continuing to run, so you need not panic and close a fatal error message in hopes of preventing damage.  Mind you, just because something got a fatal error does not mean, if it is something malicious, that it could not have already done damage before the fatal error occurred.  But once a fatal error has occurred the thing that got the fatal error is no longer able to continue in any way, shape, or form.  The term fatal error is really actually descriptive in that the program or process that triggered it is well and truly dead.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

JM Casey

Yes…it’s probably a temporary paralysis at worse and not truly fatal. :P

Brings me back to the old Applie II days when I found a game I really hated on one of the school’s disks, so I went into basic and re-wrote the first few lines of the programme to abort with a fake error message that said, ‘broken computer and bad disk error.” It was the easiest thing to do on a system where 90% of the stuff we used was done in Applesoft Basic.

“Boy,” I chuckled to myself with gremlinish glee, “some poor person is going to have a heart attack when they see or hear that.”

I never did get to find out if anyone discovered the prank, though.

Computers were a lot different then and there really weren’t any disastrous operating system errors – just damaged disks, which you simply had to throw out,  and total hardware failures, which didn’t really generate any error messages and which probably necessitated tossing your Apple II E into the garbage, too, since they were already obsolete by the early 90s…

Anyway, if it’s not malware you’ve got (and I suspect it’s probably not), my guess would be – a programme that automatically installs new updates, but that isn’t windows – for example, something like Java, or Adobe Flash Player or Acrobat. I bet you a few bucks that the error message will come back at some point, or else the programme will *successfully* install next time.

[...]

Quentin that was a fantastic discovery.
i didnt know about that.
thanks.

On 11/19/20, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:
[...]